General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years

Awesome remote start system available soon

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 07:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome remote start/keyless/alarm system

Hi everyone, I've been gone a while but now I'm back. Had a 4runner in the states about 4 years ago and was really active on this site. Have not been active on the site since then because I purchased a Tundra. Well, my career took me to Japan so I had to sell the Tundra, and ended up buying a Hilux Surf in Japan. It's a great truck, old but still runs perfectly.

Anyways, I've always had a remote start on every vehicle I've owned. It's great for the hot summers and the cold winters (which winter for me right now is a wonderful 75F ). I found a company that makes a very unique alarm system, and they are adding remote start capabilities at the end of the month. Figured I would share here, as I'm sure a lot of people would be interested. I am not associated with the company at all, just have seen the quality of their products and want to purchase one myself when they are released.

To sum it up (you can look at the link below). It's a passive keyless entry and push button ignition system. The RFID key fob stays in your wallet or on your keychain in your pocket. As you walk up to the vehicle, it automatically unlocks the doors. Once inside, you press the brake pedal and push the "start" button mounted on the dash (OEM Lexus/Toyota push button). Turning the system off works the same way, and as you walk away from the vehicle the doors lock, and as an option the windows will all automatically roll up.

I spoke with the manufacturer and he will email me when the unit is released. I'll update the thread when it is, and when I install it! The website has poor english because they are based in Japan.

http://uni-rfid.en.alibaba.com/produ...ote_start.html

The below link is to their store for individual sales, the remote starter system will be available for purchase from this site.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/802071

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvQiI...layer_embedded

[IMG]http://vid851.photobucket.com/albums/ab74/Jaerho/th_P1110068Edit.jpg?videoplayer=offsite?videoplaye r=offsite

Last edited by dibble9012; 11-09-2010 at 04:01 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:25 AM
Contributing Member

I got some more information on the remote start system today talking to the manufacturer. They have been extremely helpful with all my questions.

The remote start range is only 25 meters, much shorter than a viper or other aftermarket system. This really doesn't affect me much because my vehicle is always parked close to my dorm or work, but I guess could be a pain if I'm at the mall shopping and want to start it. For me all the other advantages of the whole system outweigh the short range disadvantage.

While in remote start mode, the vehicle is protected by the alarm system and starter kill. If you get into the car without the smart key the engine shuts off and the alarm sounds.

Currently they did not have plans for a "short trip" mode. IE get out of the vehicle to go to a store with the engine running and the alarm system on. After asking the rep about it, he said he will pass my idea on to the engineering department, and most likely they can add that feature before the system is released (only a software change is needed).

Once I have the system in hand I'll post an install write up and a video or two of how the system operates.

Also if anybody wants the manuals for the system that's already released (no remote start) I have linked to them below. There are two manuals that cover slightly different systems below, can be kind of confusing but gives you a general idea of what's involved. The manuals for the remote start version will not be released until it's for sale at the end of the month.

Installation Manual
Second Installation Manual
User Manual
Alarm Wire Diagram
Push Button Start Wire Diagram

Last edited by dibble9012; 11-09-2010 at 03:43 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:01 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Sweet price on it - let us know how the quality is

Maybe one of my next projects will be installing electric door locks so I can use this system

Last edited by corax; 11-09-2010 at 04:03 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:56 AM
Contributing Member

Just arrived in the mail today (took forever because I'm stationed overseas and they couldn't ship to an APO address. Arrived in the states around 4 days after it was shipped).

First impression is good. Quality and features seem top notch. The remote is a little flimsy, not cheaply made, just really small and thin. I can easily put it in my wallet and it should survive there fine. Features are actually more than I was expecting because they updated the unit and user/programming manual. I'll post that tomorrow. Also came with a really cool credit card backup remote. Literally an RFID credit card, just in case I ignore the low battery warnings until the remote is 100% dead, or go swimming with the remote, etc.

Will post pictures, and hopefully video tomorrow of the unit working. Definitely a lot of wires to hook up, I spent some time tonight creating a chart for my vehicle with wire colors and locations so hopefully the install will go quickly without issues.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:14 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Excellent, almost forgot about this. Definitely let us know how it works out
Old 01-06-2011, 01:38 AM
Contributing Member

So far so good. Installed most of it today, just have the door locks and some of the other alarm wires left to hook up, and have to program the remotes. Tested out the start button system and works well. My only small complaint is that it takes a little bit too long to shut off the engine (hold brake down and push button for 1-2 seconds). Starts up as soon as I push the button though. If everything else works fine then I'll be happy.

Still trying to figure out how to remove the steering wheel lock from my Hilux Surf. I wanted this install to be easily reversible so when I move in 2 years I can revert to stock and install the system in my next vehicle. The two bolts that hold the ignition/steering lock assembly in place don't have heads, just rounded off nubs (probably to prevent exactly what I'm doing hahaha). Anyways, I'm going to try to grind a slot in the end of the bolt and get it out using a screwdriver.

Does anybody have a Toyota with the stock keyless system? Could you take a video showing startup, and shutdown (how long you have to press the button, etc)? Just to compare the operation of the stock system vs aftermarket. If the OEM system has the 2 second push length to shut off the engine it won't bother me that much.

Last edited by dibble9012; 01-08-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:45 AM

What was the cost of your system if you dont mind me asking. The wife has always wanted a remote start. Good luck.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TinMan
What was the cost of your system if you dont mind me asking. The wife has always wanted a remote start. Good luck.
About $275
Old 01-08-2011, 02:43 PM
Contributing Member

Here are a couple pictures of it installed, video to come soon:

Push Button

Alarm LED

Remote, back-up RFID credit card remote.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:22 PM
Contributing Member

Here are the installation and user manuals.

http://snipr.com/1syp32-rko

The manuals explain a lot, but a few features I really like:

-When you stop and let someone out, the doors will automatically relock when they shut the door and you step on the brake.
-Outputs for bypass modules, and trunk release (which I'm using to roll down the back window)
-The real Toyota/Lexus start button
-Remote start function. Start it remotely, walk up and the vehicle automatically unlocks, get in, push the button once and drive away.
-The emergency credit card - if the remote becomes inoperative (swimming for example), just hold the credit card sized RFID chip to the backup antenna and it immediately unlocks the car and lets you start it.
-Low remote battery alerts.
-Small remote size.

What I don't like:
-The 2 second delay when shutting off the car.
-Since there is no screen, programming is a pain.
-The passive keyless system could have a little better range. With the two antennas up front on a full size tundra, there is no way that you would have signal at the bed of the truck. I'm going to try to add more antenna's and see what happens. If I get a Tundra back in the states I would want to have an electronic lock for the tailgate, and have it tied into this system. The lock, unlock, and remote start buttons have plenty of range for me, about 2 to 3 times the range of a usual Toyota system.

Last edited by dibble9012; 01-08-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:02 PM
Contributing Member

This video shows the automatic unlocking and push button ignition. Remote was in my wallet the entire time. Get to the car it automatically unlocks, get in, step on brake and push button to immediately start engine; or push button without brake to cycle through ACC, ON, and OFF.

This video shows the delay when shutting off the engine. I guess the 2 second delay is there for safety. Push on brake, hold for 2 seconds exactly, and the engine shuts off. Get out and walk away and the system automatically locks the doors and arms the alarm.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:32 PM

Bypassing the steering wheel pin lock

Hello dibble. I just had this same system installed on my '08 Tacoma double cab. My question is how did you bypass the steering wheel lock? When I use the push start button and attempt to drive with out the key in the ignition, the steering wheel locks up on me. I look forward to your response, Carlo.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by cdecast82
Hello dibble. I just had this same system installed on my '08 Tacoma double cab. My question is how did you bypass the steering wheel lock? When I use the push start button and attempt to drive with out the key in the ignition, the steering wheel locks up on me. I look forward to your response, Carlo.
I've never looked closely at a Toyota steering column but if its anything like the other ones i've seen then it shouldn't be too much trouble to physically open up the column and disable the steering lock by hand ( IE: blocking off the lock pin so it cant move).
Old 09-24-2012, 08:59 AM
Contributing Member

I physically opened up the steering column and removed the lock/lock mount completely. It'll be different for different models but on mine it was part of the key cylinder. Putting the key in and turning released a spring loaded bar that inserts into the steering column. The whole assembly was held in by two "security" bolts (bolts with rounded heads). Easily removed with vice grips or small pliers.

If you find that the range is not that great with this system or get tired of the turn off delay, look at the link below. I changed to that system and couldn't be happier. I'm hopefully getting a Tacoma here in October and will post a write-up for installation. Unfortunately it looks like their website is having issues (either that or they are releasing a new version soon). Great company, good support and better materials used in their systems.

http://www.auto-innovatio.com/magento/english/
Old 09-24-2012, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by dibble9012
I physically opened up the steering column and removed the lock/lock mount completely. It'll be different for different models but on mine it was part of the key cylinder. Putting the key in and turning released a spring loaded bar that inserts into the steering column. The whole assembly was held in by two "security" bolts (bolts with rounded heads). Easily removed with vice grips or small pliers.

If you find that the range is not that great with this system or get tired of the turn off delay, look at the link below. I changed to that system and couldn't be happier. I'm hopefully getting a Tacoma here in October and will post a write-up for installation. Unfortunately it looks like their website is having issues (either that or they are releasing a new version soon). Great company, good support and better materials used in their systems.

http://www.auto-innovatio.com/magento/english/
Bingo...