General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Treating the back of welded patch panels

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 01:37 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Treating the back of welded patch panels

So I recently started dealing with the "small, insignificant" rust spots I had on my truck. There weren't to many of them, I'm sure they were just STARTING to be a problem, so i should deal with them.

OOPS

So I found this and this is my first serious problem I am dealing with, there are more, including the entire drivers floorboard/wheel well. I am not a master metal worker by any means, nor a body guru, so any and all input is welcome. Photo isn't great, but you can see the rust I started with and the couple other spots on this side I will need to deal with, probably to the same extent.

I already attacked it with a wire wheel and a prep disc on my DA. You can also see it miserably failed the punch test. I barely tapped it. So my current plan is to cut out the purple line on the pillar (which goes through a little bit of the gutter section) and then weld in the patch which I have seamed up out of some 22GA mild.

So my quick question is, what to I need to do to the back of the patch plate in terms of treatment to keep it from rusting? I will not be able to access my welds from the back here, so they at the very minimum will be exposed and subject to rust in the pillar. I suspect that this rust came form crappy gutter seal stuff, which I need to find a way to remove and replace, but even after that is done, won't I still be exposed to corrosion on the backside? I can paint the back of the patch before I weld it in, but I don't think that will be enough.

Comments/Concerns?

Is there any chance I can get away with just laying a small bead over teh hoel I punched and then POR-15 these sections? There are several of them on both sides. Also, what do you all think is a good way to deal with the rain gutter sealant?
Old 07-27-2020, 08:41 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Every seen them fumigate for buga in a wall, attacking the back side of a weld is the same procedure find a point of entry and spray the crap out of it..

There is some access to the inside of this area from the cabin under the trim, but it's multiple layers, the most direct accesaia to drill a small.hole thru the first layer which you can get a small spray tube I to. Hint spray can nozzles are pretty standard sizes you can switch out you nozzle on your zinc weld thru can with the nozzle off of anything that accepted a straw.
The following users liked this post:
Neemox (07-27-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 08:49 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
find a point of entry and spray the crap out of it...
This is exactly what I want thinking about. Thanks. Makes perfect sense.