General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Transmission Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Problem?

Hi all. Sorry to be posting here for the first time and basically begging for help but I'm afraid I'm in a fairly desparate situation...

My 2002 Toyota 4Runner w/4WD and an automatic transmission crapped out on me in Dixon, IL while I was driving from CT to Denver. I am now holed up in Aurora waiting until someone qualified can look at it. Until that happens I will settle for the diagnoses of anyone who has better knowledge of 4x4 drivetrains than I do. Anyway, here's what happened...

I was happily driving along with the cruise control set at about 75 mph when, all of a sudden, the car red-lined. First, I tapped the brakes to shut off the cruise and get the engine to stop red-lining. Then I pulled over, stopped, and tried to get it back into gear. Nothing doing. Also, whenever I goosed the gas a bit and the RPMs went up, I'd hear a little metallic rattling coming from below and slightly in front of the shifter. The car also seemed to creep a little when idling in Drive. Not as much as it normally would, but a little. Next, when I turned off the car, I could not longer get it started. I could clearly hear the starter spinning but the engine did not turn over. I also heard more metallic grinding and rattling when attempting to restart it. Lastly, the tow truck operator noted that Park would not hold the vehicle in place.

Those symptoms tell me a couple things:

1. Something in my drivetrain between the engine and the rear wheels failed abruptly and catastrophically.
2. Whatever failed made it impossible for the starter to engage the flywheel and turn the engine over.

To me and my minimal drivetrain troubleshooting skills, except for Park not engaging, this seems more like a flywheel/torque converter issue than an actual transmission/transfer case problem (fingers crossed), but I have zero experience with how either type of problem manifests itself so what do I know.

So, I have a couple questions: Anyone got any ideas about what's wrong with my car? How long will I be stuck in Illinois?

Thanks, and I'd appreciate any and all idea you guys have.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It might be a flywheel problem ,broken bolts or maybe center of the flywheel tore loose.
Has there been any work done on the drive train or motor lately ?
Old 03-13-2011, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by swampfox
It might be a flywheel problem ,broken bolts or maybe center of the flywheel tore loose.
Has there been any work done on the drive train or motor lately ?
Nope. Were you thinking faulty repair work as a cause or something?
Old 03-13-2011, 09:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Were you thinking faulty repair work as a cause or something. quote

Yes , can you remove the inspection cover between the oil pan and the front of the trans, to see if the fly wheel feels tight? What motor is in it ?

Last edited by swampfox; 03-13-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by swampfox
Yes , can you remove the inspection cover between the oil pan and the front of the trans, to see if the fly wheel feels tight? What motor is in it ?
3.4L V6.

Actually, since I was moving, I do have the tools to do that with me. Maybe I'll try that. Thanks.