General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

towing 3rd gen 4runner behind RV???

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
towing 3rd gen 4runner behind RV???

I'm interested in towing my 01 4runner behind my RV. What do I need to do to flat tow? If unable to flat tow, how about towing with a tow dollie? I have heard everything from; "oh yea, just put transfer case into neutral" to; "Cant do it, have to use a tow dollie and also disconnect drive shaft". Anyone out there know for sure?
Old 05-08-2010, 10:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
tow dolly would be good and yes you will have to remove the drive shaft mark it first though i don't think you have to worry about the transfer case if on a dolly

Last edited by Elton; 05-08-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:44 AM

Unhappy

thanks, but I was sure hoping for an easier answer.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:42 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Fron the marlin crawler site and another thread here regarding flat towing a toyota 4x4

On all auto chain driven and manual gear driven t/cases, if it is towed in two wheel drive, the output shaft will turn, but there will be no way for the oil at the bottom of the case to get to the top where the output shaft is.

On the chain driven cases, the input shaft turns the planetary housing which drives the oil pump.

Gear driven cases use the input gear and low range gears to throw oil on the inside of the housing that collects the oil via gutters and directs it to the rear of the case by gravity.

Both style of cases, must have the input shaft spinning to lube the output shaft, speedo gears, and rear seal of the t/case.

The rear driveshaft must be removed.

Marlin Crawler
Old 05-09-2010, 08:02 AM

Makes sense to me. I've always heard you have to drop the axle too.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:05 AM

I have been told that you can just disconnect the shaft at the rear diff and tie it up out of the way though without having to pull the whole shaft. That's just a couple bolts I think.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue_petersen77
I have been told that you can just disconnect the shaft at the rear diff and tie it up out of the way though without having to pull the whole shaft. That's just a couple bolts I think.
X2 this is the way to do it if you have an automatic!! it is kinda a pain but without putting the whole thing on a trailer it is the option!!
Old 05-09-2010, 09:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue_petersen77
There are 4 bolts at each end of the driveshaft. You can just unbolt the rear and tie it up, but there's always a chance it could fall and drag. To be safe I would remove it completely. You can always leave it off and drive on the front if you don't want to re and re it every day.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by eric-the-red
There are 4 bolts at each end of the driveshaft. You can just unbolt the rear and tie it up, but there's always a chance it could fall and drag. To be safe I would remove it completely. You can always leave it off and drive on the front if you don't want to re and re it every day.
Eh.. If you have a decent short wratchet strap I don't think that bad boy is goin anywhere lol
Old 05-09-2010, 12:28 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Or you can convert the rear axle to full float, install manual hubs and put them in "free".

http://frontrangeoffroadfab.com/nfos...59aa44d33a61b6
Old 05-09-2010, 12:48 PM

That sounds like a lot more work than just pulling 4 bolts! He's looking for an easy no fuss no muss way to pull his truck.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:18 PM

So.... I would need to do the same thing correct? 85 sfa 5sp. I'm going cross country in october and will be towing my runner
Old 05-09-2010, 01:23 PM

I'm not sure about the standard shifts ...
Old 05-09-2010, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by GranVille-4crawler
So.... I would need to do the same thing correct? 85 sfa 5sp. I'm going cross country in october and will be towing my runner
I have never heard of having to do this with a manual!!! with an automatic there is the issue of the torque converter and other things!!! with a manual I have always been told just to throw it in to neutral... However with a transfer case there may be hidden issues though I can not see too many!!

I may suggest to be on the safe side that for the long haul across the country to disconnect and on short trips I would not worry about it too much...

That is MY Opinion!!
Old 05-09-2010, 01:57 PM

My buddy was tellin me he and his dad were towing an old yota 4x4 down from jersey and the tcase exploded on the interstate... what could cause that?
Old 05-09-2010, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by eddieleephd
I have never heard of having to do this with a manual!!! with an automatic there is the issue of the torque converter and other things!!! with a manual I have always been told just to throw it in to neutral... However with a transfer case there may be hidden issues though I can not see too many!!

I may suggest to be on the safe side that for the long haul across the country to disconnect and on short trips I would not worry about it too much...

That is MY Opinion!!
Wouldn't you have to disconnect the front diff as well in an sfa?... Just spitballin' here.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:29 PM

the front turning is not the issue, the post I mentioned from marlin deals with lubrication issues with the transfer case. If the rear driveshaft is in place then the rear driveshaft / x-fer output shaft turns without the front of the case moving which is essentially the oil pump. rear shaft and x-fer output shaft will turn regardless of trans auto or manual and/or x-fer case being in neutral. With a SFA or IFS if the hubs are not locked then the front axles/driveshafts will not turn = not an issue.

Now yes you can put the transmission in neutral and the x-fer case in 4 hi and lock the hubs, this will in turn tun the output shaft in the x-fer case to get fluid moving to the rear of the case, however it is not good to flat tow a transmission in neutral. Auto or manual. Especially an auto since its fluid pump is not pumping fluid to cool the trans as it turns. Not familiar with the way the manual trans moves its fluid around, but I can't imagine it being much different than the x-fer case.

I hope this clears some things up.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:33 PM

BTW working next to a cottman transmission place for a while I have seen first hand what happens when someone tries to flat tow a vehicle in neutral without removing the rear driveshaft behind an rv. It will grenade the entire transmission beyond repair.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:55 PM

Ok good to know.. will def be removing the ds
Old 05-09-2010, 03:05 PM

Granville just to let you know i missed yur post about the exploded x-fer case my reply about the grenaded trans was just added by me for a wow factor, but it looks like I answered yur question.

Quick Reply: towing 3rd gen 4runner behind RV???