General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Tire brand question

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 06:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tire brand question

Has anyone used the Yokohama Geolander M/T+ ?

I saw them on tirerack.com the other day & they look like they would have terrific off road performance & the reviews on tirerack say they are the quietest M/T's they've ever used.

I put a set of Yokohama's on my wifes mail delivery Bronco II last year & they were the fastest wearing tire I have ever seen. One summer, three months of running & a rough guess of less than 10K miles (had to be less than that but I never checked the mileage when they were put on - DOH) & they were bald, belt showing bald!

But I might grab a set of these Geolander M/T+'s because the price is right & they are a good looking tire, if any of you can substantiate the claims of the reviewers on tirerack...especially the "quietest M/T I've ever used" claim.

Anyone care to chime in?
Old 03-24-2007, 07:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i've sold a few at the shop here, but people just are'nt getting the mileage out of them like a BFG mud
Old 03-24-2007, 11:40 AM

Yeah, that's what my experience with Yokohama has been (see above) & goes right along with what the majority of reviewers on tirerack have said; short tire life. I read one guy saying he got 30K out of his, I'm skeptical of that claim & another said they expected to get 50-60K out of theirs...LOL, B.S. Unless they drive on feathers & whipping cream, I don't see 50K happening on regular road surfaces for sure!

How about the claims of "quietest M/T ever!" That's really what I'm concerned/wondering about the most.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i dont know about the noise levels but most people with muds dont worry about that ( i dont even really notice the tire noise on my bfg's)
Old 03-24-2007, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't say anything about Yokohama, but as for noise, don't worry about it. Any good quality tire shouldn't be overly loud. I just put BFG M/T's on my truck, the first mud tire I've used, and I noticed the noise for maybe a day. Even then, it wans't loud, just new. Now the only time I notice it is under hard braking. Personally, if you're hearing of short tread life, I'd start looking at other tires.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:01 PM

Ya'll are killing me over here!

LOL, I've been putting M/T & A/T tires on vehicles for over twenty years...the noise level bothers me in an otherwise quiet vehicle. As a matter of fact, it's the first thing I hear most people with mudders complain about; we must know very different types of people. If you're trailering your mud tires to the wheelin' spot it's no big deal, but if you're driving a couple hundred miles to & from it is...at least for me. For instance the Buckshots I use on my old 1986 Dodge power ram are loud, but it doesn't bother me because the truck is a heap anyway & I rarely drive it more than thirty or forty miles round trip anywhere & the other rattles & squeaks are louder than the tires, but the Mud King M/T's on my 1990 Dodge are quiet as any tire I've ever used.

I have used probably a 100 different brands & types over the years; Maxxis, Buckshot, Regul, Mud King, Hankook, Yokohama, Prodigy, BFGoodrich, Goodyear..you name it. Some are loud, some aren't, some are loud but not as bad as others.

BFGoodrich A/T's weren't too loud but I wasn't impressed with their off road performance either, not sure why they are so popular. I felt the Goodyear Wrangler was a better tire.

My main thing is the noise, I may be hard of hearing but I'm not completely deaf - I'm aware of how long the tread will probably wear, Yokohamas are soft compund, that's partly why they grip well - I believe they will have stellar off road performance; I just want to know if they'll be as quiet as the reviews said. I appreciate all the concern for my finances but it really isn't necessary LOL, I'll replace them when they wear out & if they sucked I'll replace them with something else.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:40 PM

I'm running Yokohama at+II the M/T's that they offer and I dont really like them, they wear to fast and they will cup and wear unevenlly if you dont rotate them at least every 3000 miles. If I were to go with a mud tire it would be the BFG. I used to work at discount and I have put them on many vehicles and never really heard any positive comments about them so I wouldnt go with them. the only reason they are on my truck is because they came on the truck when i bought it...
Old 03-25-2007, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by T0R3D
I'm running Yokohama at+II the M/T's that they offer and I dont really like them, they wear to fast and they will cup and wear unevenlly if you dont rotate them at least every 3000 miles. If I were to go with a mud tire it would be the BFG. I used to work at discount and I have put them on many vehicles and never really heard any positive comments about them so I wouldnt go with them. the only reason they are on my truck is because they came on the truck when i bought it...
I believe these Geolanders are a new offering; I don't believe they are the same as the tires that have been out under the A/T & M/T label. I could be mistaken but I've never seen them before. As far as the tread wear; I'm well aware of the soft Yokohama compound & how fast they wear.

Myself, I don't care for BFG's.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:21 AM

In 1986 I bought an Isuzu pickup which came with Yokohama tires. Those tires lasted me something like 60,000 miles or more. They were probably the longest lasting tires I've ever had.

But 1986 was a long, long time ago.

From that experience, I wouldn't have hesitated to buy Yokohama again -- until I saw this thread.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:35 AM

I haven't tried all Yokohama's tires, but the ones I did use wore out faster than any other set of tires I have ever used. That seems to be the consensus by the vast majority of Yokohama users y.m.m.v.

Then again, tread life is only part of the equation. My 4Runner tires will need replaced this summer & I think I'm going to try these new Geolanders; here's a link to the ones I'm talking about:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....QR5GEOMTPLOWLR