General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Thing you found out AFTER you owned your 4Runner for a while.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
most of the same first gen suff to include but not limited to:

87 4runner stock front bumper will rap around a large rock if you nudg it in 4lo
lockers and ifs will put you in to situations you dont want to be it. and go further than it should.
22re realy does have 4 very over worked hamsters in the crank case, and is way too under powered to go "mudding"
only in japan would some one design a SUV with 2 doors
Old 07-12-2006, 08:20 AM

When i first bought the 4runner, i went through every thing so i knew all the cool stuff it offered. One thing i really liked about the third gen is the drivers side key whole. One turn and the drivers door unlocks, 2 turns every door unlocks.

Oh ya. If your not fast enough opening a door after you unlock the truck with the remote, it will lock again.

Last edited by gregbreakseverything; 07-12-2006 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gregbreakseverything
Oh ya. If your not fast enough opening a door after you unlock the truck with the remote, it will lock again.

i hate that. ive found that the distance to lock is greater than to unlock. the unlock distance is about as far as it is long enough to walk to the runner after you have unlocked it.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by northfacer581
after owning a 4runner i learned that:

jeeps stink
Yep! Used to have a 93 Wrangler, it sucked. I have since owned an 99, 93, and now an 88 4Runner. I will never own another type of vehicle. I also found out that I miss my 99. I also found out that the 1st gen is (for the most part) my perfect vehicle for me.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:09 PM

where did you get that info

Originally Posted by Yamaha+Toyota=Fun
Well today, I just found out my truck was totalled in Missouri 12 years ago. The odometer was rolled back about 25,000 miles back in 98.

Just DANDY!!!
i would like to know where you got the info on yours i have noticed diff paint on mine in the door well and would like to get a check on mine
Old 07-14-2006, 11:17 AM

Smile

Found this out yesterday... Disassembled the center console in my 2nd Generation 4Runner because the plastic piece that shows what gear you are in (Automatic Transmission) cracked.

I realized after i got it apart that the little tab right infront of the shift lever can pop off to reveal a button that when pushed you can shift the car without pushing the brake pedal. You of course need a screwdriver to pop the tab off and push the button down.

I drove around with the console taken apart for a while because i had to find another plastic piece for it. When i finally got it all back together i went to turn the car on everyhting worked fine. the shift knobs moved fine all the pieces were in place. I put it in park and went to turn the car off but the key wouldnt turn completly to the off position. The Key stopped where it would normally if you left the 4Runner in gear and tried to turn it off. SO I disassembled it again and FOUND OUT AFTER 3 HOURS OF DISASSEMBLING AND REASSEMBLING that under the main (right) shift knob when you take the plastic grip button off (holds o/d switch). The shift lever part that is connected to the vehicle can be spun clockwise or countercockwise to raise or lower it. After driving around with the console taken apart I guess i spun the piece up far enough to catch the Plastic Grip button so that when it was just tightened back on the button was pressed enough to make the car act like it was not in park so i couldnt remove my key hahaha.

The rear seat heater is electric so it operates when the car is off

I thought the trucks rear suspension was sagging when in reality the rear wheel well is lower that the front one although i would like to make this look cleaner by beefing up the suspension in both.

floormats are expensive

someone lost my little "toolbag" that is suppoesed to be used with the jack, I didnt even know it came with a "toolbag" until i looked at the manual

To close the sunroof you have to push 2 buttons at once that one took a while trying as hard as i could to push the button in to close it then realizing the one next to it had somehting to do with it.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by animator
I've had my 3rd gen for a couple months now and always thought that was a defroster for the side cargo area windows... lol.

After pulling the radio out I was confused as to why it had two antenna connections...

I went over it top to bottom inside and out looking at every possible thing there was to offer on the rig the first day I got it. I found:

-The rear seats have a second set of holes for the headrests when the seats are folded up.
Where are these holes for the head rests?
Old 08-09-2006, 09:46 AM

there are 2 holes for when the seat is up for sitting.
when the seat back is down, the part you sit on has to be pulled up, on the bottom of the seat are the extra holes, to hold the head rest when the seat is in this poisition. handy
Old 08-09-2006, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by surf4runner
there are 2 holes for when the seat is up for sitting.
when the seat back is down, the part you sit on has to be pulled up, on the bottom of the seat are the extra holes, to hold the head rest when the seat is in this poisition. handy

Wow, I do learn something new on this thing everyday. This has been by far the best vehicle I've ever owned, and it's my 4th Toyota PU type vehicle to boot!
Old 08-09-2006, 11:20 AM
Contributing Member

I found out that I now hate to work on vehicles, which I seem to have to do alot of since I bought my dear lil' 2nd gen.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:15 AM

As of late I've found out that the toyota gods hate me, because I keep fixing it and thinking "its good now" and then something else goes. Why must they torment me so!? I have nothing but the utmost praise for them! Hopefully once i swap out my third that will be the last of it... hopefully. If the 3vze grenades I'm going to cry... and then throw in a 3.4
Old 08-11-2006, 10:29 AM
Contributing Member

That it's slower in the 1/4 mile than I thought.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by oz31p
most of the same first gen suff to include but not limited to:

87 4runner stock front bumper will rap around a large rock if you nudg it in 4lo
lockers and ifs will put you in to situations you dont want to be it. and go further than it should.
22re realy does have 4 very over worked hamsters in the crank case, and is way too under powered to go "mudding"
only in japan would some one design a SUV with 2 doors

There were alot of 2door SUVs decades ago, and still a few availible today. If I had the option, I would NEVER buy a 4 door SUV...That's one thing I love about my runner. Its a 2 door.

I've never had any problem with lack of power off road either......
Old 11-02-2006, 01:57 PM

GREAT THREAD!! LOL.. actually read through all 7 pages -

Have had my 95 4runner for about two months now. When I bought it, it was daylight. That night I got in to find that a headlight was out and the dashlights didnt work. I was pissed. After driving it like that for two days it hit me... damn dimmer switch was turned all the way down!! DOH!

Also found out that the running lights are actually NOT supposed to blink!!

BTW, does anyone elses 4runner have red lenses in the door lights? seems really silly to me and would think toyota would be smarter than that -
Old 11-02-2006, 02:11 PM

After a few months I had to crack open the owner's manual and figure out that the weird fold up hoop-shaped thing on the back of the center console is to hold trash bags.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:32 PM

WOW! I'm glad I stumbled across this thead. I have a 98 4R and just went through all 7 pages. I learned more about my truck in the last 30 min. than I have in 6 months. I think the head rest thing for the back seats is pretty cool. I do know that my truck is about as picky as my kids. It only likes the good stuff. ( plugs, wires, and so on )
Old 11-02-2006, 05:59 PM

After getting my first flat tire, I came to realize that the stock jack does not feel the safe when lifting the truck to change a tire. I now keep a nice aftermarket one in the back at all times.

One other thing I realized about my 4Runner: I SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN THE 4WD w/LOCKER!!!
Old 11-02-2006, 06:55 PM

I just learned about the deck light on on the first page! Damn that coulda been handy a few times! I also realized that when you tell the dealership to put new tires on before you pick up the truck SPECIFY brand/model! Now I've got overgrown mini van tires that I have to replace
Old 11-07-2006, 12:38 PM

Delayed locking workaround

Found out that when you get out of the '04 LTD V8 and put your keys away to get arm loads of junk out of the back, it is a royal pain to get the keys out of your pocket again to lock the doors.

If you hit the remote to lock it before closing all the doors, it just screams at you and doesn't lock the doors (all my vehicles before this on did- heck, even my wife's minivan does this )

Here's the work around.

Get out, open the back door you want to get stuff out of, then walk to back and insert key into hatch lock and turn it clockwise to lock. Vehicle is now in delayed arm mode and you can safely put your keys in your pocket and use your hands for whatever you want to carry- 4Runner will arm alarm as soon as you close the last door

-DiskDoctr
Old 11-19-2006, 06:32 PM
Contributing Member

I found out that my 4runner is more capable than an H2 with 36"s and a whole bunch of bling. (that was a fun run, me holding branches back so that big lunch box could make it throgh the trail that i already went through) and it was so heavy that it would just sink on soft ground.

Quick Reply: Thing you found out AFTER you owned your 4Runner for a while.