General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Thing you found out AFTER you owned your 4Runner for a while.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
kurt,

ECT is used to hold the gears longer, in turn, this give you more power and better acceleration...mileage doesn't really suffer too much and you get quite a bit more power out of each gear.

Sorry for side-tracking the thread...

Fink
i find my foot to the floor yields the same result lol
Old 06-13-2006, 04:21 PM

I found out that:

1. when you get a really nasty tick coming out from under the hood its time to grab your wallet and your wrench...

2. my new warn hubs will take me just about anywhere i want to go, and the engage in reverse...muahaha.

3. i can pull the key out when the ignition is in acc, which helps when i dont feel like resetting the cd player settings.

4. toyotas kick ass.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:31 PM

It's nice to be back in a Toyota again!
Old 06-13-2006, 10:02 PM

Only had the truck a week, so all my discoveries are probably noob-ish:

- You can roll the windows up after you shut the truck off (like my wife's F-150).

- The rear swing-up hatch closes itself once you get it down, no need to slam it shut.

- You can make it so all the locks lock when you move out of park, and unlock when you go back into park

- You don't have to hold the key on to get it the truck to start (why isn't there a push-button start mod?).

- The little plastic caps beneath the 3rd row seats you find when you lift the seats up cover up the things the seats bolt to when they're down.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:07 AM

Holy Bump Batman!

SINCE EVERYONE IS MISSING THE OBVIOUS...

I learned that my truck will never be as clean as the day I took possession.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:43 AM

Since this thread is started again. I found out that its dead easy putting a stereo into my third gen. And you can fit 2 amps under the driver seat!
Old 06-14-2006, 04:12 PM
Contributing Member

I found out removing window tint and replacing it is neather easy nor inexpensive!
Old 06-14-2006, 10:48 PM

i found out that chicks dig a mildly lifted 4runner a heck of alot more than a lowered race prepped miata. and people dont cut me off anymore.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:33 AM
Banned

I found the second smaller compartment on top of the big compartment in the armrest about 3 months after I bought it.

EDIT

Just found the place for coins in the armrest an hour ago. . . now I can put a CB radio where the ashtray goes since I have somewhere else to put change!

Last edited by jwbehm; 06-15-2006 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:12 PM
Contributing Member

1.) Took 6 months to discover the 'small top of armrest compartment

2.) Took 3 years (found out today) to discover that it is normal to have no light in the pass front window control on the drivers door

3.) Took 3 years to find out that those wires were for an antenna in the rear window

4.) Took 1.5 years to notice the mirror defroster
Old 06-15-2006, 09:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tc
On my second gen the little drop down door is to cover the screw for handcranking the power moonroof. (It's in the owner's manual LOL)
I read somewhere that that little flip down holder in the 2nd gens was actually for Toll cards in Japan, for the toll system over there, or something like that. Makes sense since these were made over there.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:41 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Is that what thas for?! i've often wondered taht myself. i store business cards up there and my gas card when on long road trips.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:13 AM
Contributing Member

I bought my 3rd gen in CA and then drove it 1,000+ miles home. I had no idea there was a lumber support adjustment on the seat for my back. It was in the total opposite direction i would have liked the whole time! :pat:

My 2nd gen... i was driving to work one day and went to "roll" down my power windows but they didn't move! I was mad and thought the wor$t. Hours later i realized/remembered i had a window lock botton on the armrest!
Old 06-16-2006, 05:03 AM

you know i think that latch compartment is for a garage door opener, thats why there's a button on the bottom. any who i use it for toll tickets too.

woody
Old 06-16-2006, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by SnoViking
i just found the little map pocket (wrap around from back pocket) on the left side of the passenger seat
Thats what thats for!!! I just thought someone was bored at the factory, so they put a useless pocket on the side of the seat.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I've only owned this one for 5 months, & my last 4runner was IFS, so I found out what a birfield is...
Old 06-16-2006, 07:21 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by LarsDennert
The 3Rd Gen has two radio antennas. One looks like a window defroster.
My 95 Gen 2 has the same thing. First time I saw it I thought, "strange place to put a defroster." Then it occured this had to be another antenna.

You have to be careful changing out the single O2 sensor cause the little heat plate will shave the skin off your knuckles.

The fuse for the ECM isn't marked to reset the CEL after changing out the bad O2 sensor and I wasn't going to unhook the battery (hate having to reprogram that radio) if I didn't have to and just pulled all the fuses in the fuse box under the hood (It worked!)

The factory harness plug for the radio is the same for almost all Toyota's if you unplug the amplifier that comes with some stock radio's (So thats why they have all those connectors on the back of the radio!). found this out after I took the nice Toyota stock radio out of my 87 4Runner (which by the way was the stock radio in my son-in-laws 2003 Tacoma he gave to me) to put in my 95. Really confounded me for awhile as to why the rear plug on that nice radio didn't seem to have the same connector as I had when I first unplugged the 95's! After seaching eBay for toyota radios, started noticing some had the same connection as my 95 but wait! There it it! A silver colored box to plug into the radio! What did he say that was?? An amplifier??!! And I kid my lady about being blonde!

To change out the radio I had to remove the entire lower portion of both left and right sides of the dash to get to the center console to remove the cover and get to the 4 screws holding the radio in place. I really need to find a factory manual for this thing!
Old 06-18-2006, 10:44 PM

I've had my 3rd gen for a couple months now and always thought that was a defroster for the side cargo area windows... lol.

After pulling the radio out I was confused as to why it had two antenna connections...

I went over it top to bottom inside and out looking at every possible thing there was to offer on the rig the first day I got it. I found:

-The rear seats have a second set of holes for the headrests when the seats are folded up.

-The jack is under the rear passenger seat.

-I am missing my whatever that comes in the rear "hidden" cargo area on the pass. side.

-The garage door opener compartment has little tabs that you mount to line up with your opener's button. Then all you have to do is press up on the spring-loaded door to activate the opener.

-Only the driver's window switch lights up (thanks yotatech). Both driver and passenger windows are automatic, even the switch on the passenger door.

-The traction control light on the dash will light up and beep at you if you break traction around a corner in the rain and end up sliding sidways down the road.

-The entire dash is easy to remove, but does not need to be removed to access the radio. Doh.

-The wipers are NOT controlled by the turn-signal lever like it has been on every other vehicle I've ever owned ever.

-There is a heater on the floor for the rear passengers. This was left on for whatever reason when I drove it home from the dealership and kept wondering why the hell I was feeling heat coming from the rear, and why I could still hear a fan on when the switch was in the Off position.

-My doors don't automatically lock or unlock when the vehicle is turned on, or put in gear. Is there a way to enable this?

-A 10mm socket will fit on just about everything in the vehicle.

I'm sure there's still more to be discovered...
Old 07-01-2006, 02:39 PM
Contributing Member

Ive had my 85 4runner since January. I just discovered today that BOTH windows on each side next to the back seat open up! i thought the forward window only slid backward, but i had no idea the back window slid forward!
Old 07-01-2006, 03:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
after buying it, I discovered:
1. the cupholders in a 2nd gen really suck, a drink will block the a/c vent and drip onto the center console.
2. the auto-down drivers window is cool.
3. where the rod for the spare is located, who would have thought.
4. The V6 doesn't have a lot of power
5, very small gas tank for such a big and heavy vehicle.
6. changing the headlight bulbs are a bitch.

Quick Reply: Thing you found out AFTER you owned your 4Runner for a while.