General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Thing you found out AFTER you owned your 4Runner for a while.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 04:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 94x4
That "space" is for the bottle jack that should be there, Intrepid
You must have a small bottle jack, 94x4, to fit in a 3"x2"x2" space. I am talking about a small cube formed out of the seat foam with a flap over it, literally on the back of the middle seat (front) I will have to grab a picture..don't get all attitude with me buddy. I know where the bottle jack goes, I am not the unobservant.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo_Risin
took a while to realize there's a spot on the gas "flap" to place your gas cap while filling -rather than setting it on the tire all the time.
I just spotted this on sunday, was getting ready to post it up here.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Intrepid
You must have a small bottle jack, 94x4, to fit in a 3"x2"x2" space. I am talking about a small cube formed out of the seat foam with a flap over it, literally on the back of the middle seat (front) I will have to grab a picture..don't get all attitude with me buddy. I know where the bottle jack goes, I am not the unobservant.

No "attitude" here, Intrepid, perhaps a little confused and waiting on a :pic:

Best guess at this point then is a "stash", if you know what I mean? Interesting all the same.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:35 AM
Contributing Member

[QUOTE=And the only other one really was that there are TWO HANDLES on passenger door... I never... never... noticed until a friend said why are there two? And I looked at it and my eyes just crossed... that was really creepy...[/QUOTE]

How about a pic of the two handles?

Thanks.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by 94x4
No "attitude" here, Intrepid, perhaps a little confused and waiting on a :pic:

Best guess at this point then is a "stash", if you know what I mean? Interesting all the same.
My best geuss was a stash too, so we agree on that, 94x4. But it didn't look like someone chopped it out with a knife, it looked like it was there from the factory. It would be a great place to hide a keyif...it...wasn't...inside the truck...
I went to grab a pic last night but my camera batteries were dead since I never recharged them after the run last Sunday. I will try to get one tonight.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:28 AM

Old 09-14-2005, 09:07 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4mydogs
About a month after I bought my 4Runner I found out what a hassle it is to change out a headlamp bulb . . . IF one follows the owner's manual, especially up north in December! Then the next time one went out I found out how much easier it is to just unbolt stuff behind the assembly and swap out the bulb that way.

this thread has saved me time and hassle!
didn't even bother trying to replace the headlamps as the manual recommends!

cheers yotatech!
Old 09-14-2005, 09:10 AM
Contributing Member

found out that you can't lock the driver door with the key in the ignition -- NICE!!
Old 09-14-2005, 10:31 AM
Contributing Member

yea theres a bunch of little things like that...windows down, key in ignition, cant use keyless remote entry...those type of things
Old 09-14-2005, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by 89macrunner
it took me about 4 months to figure out the decklight
Uh yeah, I'm pretty new to the 4Runner game, but WTF is up with the Deck Light in Gen 1's??? I replaced a fuse cause my alarm was blowing them out, and for a brief moment, I HAD a deck light... I could turn it on form the cab or the bed... seemed really nice... then VIOLA!!!! no more deck light... it's not burned out, there's no fuse out etc... this thing is a real stumper to me...

OOh, I learned that despite looking likt it has a terrible departure angle, my gen 1 with simple little 31's can back up some really steep stuff.

I also learned that the simplest of ideas can always be the best cause after all the lurking and hunting I did to fix my rear ele. window, all I realy needed to do was flip over the hasp(horseshoe bolt on the body) on the left side of the tailgate...

Finaly I learned after spending the last month with this little warrior that these are great trucks... they're not fast, they're not luxurious (gen 1's) but they just do everything well, I can take it camping and always get there, I can take it to the job site and get in and out through some pretty gnarly construction wheelin, adn then at the end of the day, it's real easy to paralell park on my way to the pub for a pint

SO basicly the one thing I've learned about owning and driving a 4Runner (be it limited time wise) is that I love ther thing shot rod bearing and all, I just plain love it.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:14 AM
Contributing Member

In the last decade I found that:
1. Its unwise to tough the fan while the engine is running.
2. The drivers side mirror cannot support the weight of the vehicle.
3. Neither can a stock rear or front bumper, doors and rear quarter panels.
4. Turbo vanes fit through the diesel intake valves, combustion chambers
and exhaust valves.
5. The life span of an improper setup R&P is about 10 km's.
6. The 3.0 V6 sucks.
7. You can actually melt the gears of a toy gearbox if you run it without oil
for some 1500 km's at a wheeling trip to Italy.
8. A toy gearbox can catch fire when overheated.

And I still am amazed how smooth and quit she runs after years of abuse.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:14 PM

the 4th gen HVAC system blows warm air into the cabin. Even with the HVAC on the lowest possible non-A/C setting, on a nice 65-degree SoCal day I have to use my A/C otherwise the outside air will be about 75+ degrees by the time it comes thru the system. I hate driving with the A/C on all the time!
Old 09-14-2005, 09:53 PM

The 3Rd Gen has two radio antennas. One looks like a window defroster.

The rear power outlet only works with the key in ACC GRRR!

The window tinting from the factory is embedded in the window.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:27 PM

The thing I learned just recently was that in my 3rd gen if I turn the lock once in the drivers door it will just unlock the door... but twice! Well twice and all the doors unlock.

I also learned that the sr5 4-runners can also be shift on the fly 4wd over like 5mph That is awesome!! I didn't realize this until I read my sun visor, lol. But its much nicer to know that this winter when I start slipping I can just shift into 4-wheel without slowing down to a stop almost.

Also maybe someone can answer these for me My key doesnt work in the rear hatch and I am assuming its because I have the spare and not the original. Anyhow have this problem?
Old 09-14-2005, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by 89macrunner
it took me about 4 months to figure out the decklight
-...STILL trying to figure out the rear decklight (if thats the one up near the rear window)
someone PM me and tell me what I'm missing?

-IFS blows...not that it takes a Toyota to teach one this.

Last edited by 4ROMPER; 09-14-2005 at 11:48 PM.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:38 AM

I learned the bolts holding the skid plate on your truck are cheapo, crappy bolts. It does not take much to snap these bolts or strip the threads!! A major pain in the butt.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by noahrexion
The thing I learned just recently was that in my 3rd gen if I turn the lock once in the drivers door it will just unlock the door... but twice! Well twice and all the doors unlock.

I also learned that the sr5 4-runners can also be shift on the fly 4wd over like 5mph That is awesome!! I didn't realize this until I read my sun visor, lol. But its much nicer to know that this winter when I start slipping I can just shift into 4-wheel without slowing down to a stop almost.

Also maybe someone can answer these for me My key doesnt work in the rear hatch and I am assuming its because I have the spare and not the original. Anyhow have this problem?
Try that key in the glove box. If it doesn't work then you are using the valet key.

Also the locks on all the doors are electric but if the battery goes dead, the lock can be overridden by manually turning further.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:14 AM

[QUOTE=LarsDennert]The 3Rd Gen has two radio antennas. One looks like a window defroster.QUOTE]
are both antennas active at the same time? is it in the front? mine doesn't have it there. my electric is busted and would like to eliminate it
Old 09-16-2005, 10:30 AM

It's called the diversity antenna. It uses the one with the better signal so to speak. The second one is embedded in the passenger far rear window and looks like a defroster.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Intrepid
My best geuss was a stash too, so we agree on that, 94x4. But it didn't look like someone chopped it out with a knife, it looked like it was there from the factory. It would be a great place to hide a keyif...it...wasn't...inside the truck...
I went to grab a pic last night but my camera batteries were dead since I never recharged them after the run last Sunday. I will try to get one tonight.

Say, you would'nt happen to have what looks like a regular-like wall receptacle somewhere in or on your vehicle, would you? Just an idea.

Quick Reply: Thing you found out AFTER you owned your 4Runner for a while.