General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Thing you found out AFTER you owned your 4Runner for a while.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by annoyingrob
Took me a year to figure out the truck had power windows. The controls were missing when I got the truck, and when i finally found a replacement, power locks!

how did you get the windows up and down for that year?? Thats funny...No manual cranks means power windows?????
Old 01-11-2011, 09:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh man, I meant to say power LOCKS, not windows! I knew it had power windows. d'oh.

I couldn't put the windows down for a year. It was a pain in the rear that's for sure.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:33 AM

I found out that I really miss mine after I had to sell it I will definitely be getting another one, no doubt.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:19 AM

This has been a great thread! Just read through the whole thing, and even though I won't have my truck for another 6 weeks or so, I've learned so much!
Old 01-12-2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Crimson Yota
I found that card holder thing a week after buying it. What exactly is that thing for??
there was a picture of the P/O's 3rd grade son "Logan" in there that my friend found and was like "who the hell is this??"

There was also a toy shark under the seats i found when I finally put them down.
Mine broke and the door was always hanging down, I had to put velcro to keep it up..lol, but I still loved that thing.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by 95 Yoda 4runner
After finding out that the inside of the back window is difficult to clean on a 2nd gen 4runner i also found out that the cup holders are specifically placed where they are for coffee drinkers!! Anyone that's been driving around during a cold morning with the heat on thru the dash while your coffee was in the cup holder knows that your coffee cup is nice and hot from the heat blowing over it. My coffee is always hot and those people complaining that they're poorly placed on the dash aren't coffee drinkers, lol. Way to go toyota engineers!
But in the summer, the air conditioner cooled it off very quickly
Old 01-12-2011, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by L33T35T 4Runner
Ive had my 85 4runner since January. I just discovered today that BOTH windows on each side next to the back seat open up! i thought the forward window only slid backward, but i had no idea the back window slid forward!
LOL, we just figured that out on our 85 fourrunner not that long ago too, my 12 year old figured it out...
Old 01-12-2011, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by nmtoy
The sunroof glass is removable!
Was it a power moonroof? Mine had one of those but I never knew you could remove it from the vehicle.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:15 PM

I found out that with a little convincing and coersing, a chevy 350 will fit in a 91 runner! Also that when doing a sas you should make sure the springs are put in the right way!
Old 01-12-2011, 03:47 PM

my 99 4runner wont let me lock my doors with the key in the ignition.(saved my a$$ a couple times)
o and every time i drive my 99 i get a thought in my mind like this is my dream truck!!!!

and i LOVE TOYOTA!!!!!
Old 01-12-2011, 08:08 PM

I learned that my wife is trying to kill me by whiplash because she can't drive stick. I also learned that a stock 98 4runner with the right driver will go farther than a jeep guy....because the jeep falls apart 1/4 way through the trail.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by E1
Still don't know what the little drop down door by the map light near the windshield is for? Way too small for a garage remote. Business card holder?
That place is awesome for your DL while camping or wheeling
Old 01-14-2011, 09:10 PM

that my brake lines have a small leak in them somewhere
Old 01-14-2011, 11:10 PM

a week after buying my runner i went found in the rear side panels the washer fluid resivor, the stock jack, a 12 ga barrel, lots of nice bungee cords, some wrenches, screw drivers, a roll of tape, a roll of window tint, and an extra set of head light bezels..
i also found out with two screws the sunroof is fully removable and has a little chrome wind sheild underneath.
and ive found that you can put 2nd gen rear shoulder belts on first gen by mounting them on the roll bar.
and lastly the rear deck of the runner has tie downs hidden in the carpet.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:16 AM

i found out the other night that the in cab will turn on when i open the passenger door but only about 20% of the time

i also found out that no matter how many time people (mainly brothers) rip on "gutless 4 bangers" they ALWAYS sit in the drivers seat of my stock 88 runner and say " dude i need to drive this!"

and last of all (for tonight ) i found out that the 2 guys sitting on my shoulders (1 with a halo the other with horns) always tell me " you can get thru that mud pit in 2wd .... no problem!" (where the heck are they when i am shin deep in mud locking in the front?)
Old 01-15-2011, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by russ wharton
i found out the other night that the in cab will turn on when i open the passenger door but only about 20% of the time

i also found out that no matter how many time people (mainly brothers) rip on "gutless 4 bangers" they ALWAYS sit in the drivers seat of my stock 88 runner and say " dude i need to drive this!"

and last of all (for tonight ) i found out that the 2 guys sitting on my shoulders (1 with a halo the other with horns) always tell me " you can get thru that mud pit in 2wd .... no problem!" (where the heck are they when i am shin deep in mud locking in the front?)

haha i used to do the same thing untill i learned keep the hubs locked and try it in 2 then if i get stuck just put it in 4..
Old 01-18-2011, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by cjs4runner
haha i used to do the same thing untill i learned keep the hubs locked and try it in 2 then if i get stuck just put it in 4..
i happens just often enough to be iritating. but my wife has insisted that i keep an extra set of boots in the truck so when i do have to lock in in the mud i am not getting mud all over my " nice" shoes again
Old 01-18-2011, 07:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hot woman love a solid axle swap , guy's are jealous/envious of them
Old 01-19-2011, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by russ wharton
i happens just often enough to be iritating. but my wife has insisted that i keep an extra set of boots in the truck so when i do have to lock in in the mud i am not getting mud all over my " nice" shoes again

yea i just went through the same thing with my woman after ruining 2 pairs of "nice" shoes to stop the complaining i went to walmart n picked up a pair of rain boots for less then 20$ but kinda hard to drive in em.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by cjs4runner
yea i just went through the same thing with my woman after ruining 2 pairs of "nice" shoes to stop the complaining i went to walmart n picked up a pair of rain boots for less then 20$ but kinda hard to drive in em.
i wear skate shoes that are never tight so i just slip them off and pull on the boots and lock in now. like my father inlaw told me b4 i got married " a happy wife makes a happy life"

Quick Reply: Thing you found out AFTER you owned your 4Runner for a while.