General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Thing you found out AFTER you owned your 4Runner for a while.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ctcost
Few more:
2) sometimes it will lets you roll up the windows with no key in the ignition, sometimes it wont. Never the rear window though.

You can roll up your windows after the key is out of the ignition as long as you haven't opened any of the doors. It's on purpose.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kiyobrown
I found out that when you have the grille out, if you take all the clips out of the frame and put them into the grill FIRST, the grille goes in without breaking anymore clips!
I learned that no matter how many of those clips I grab from a junkyard, it's never enough for the next time I take the grill off - now I just use zip-ties, they're much sturdier anyway
Old 10-28-2009, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by steakknives
Yeah my 91 b/u lights dont' work either.

- I have NOT found out how to remove the clip that's mounted to my engine for my ignition cables. (Hint: help me!)
Shame on you for not buying OEM cables! if you buy OEM they come with the clips and you see exactly how they work. Just lift 'em up, or pry them up from the sides with a screwdriver.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:23 PM
T4L

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
also learned that on MY 4runner (it has an alarm system..that i cant get figured out ) if the keys are in the ignition....and the doors are shut(the doors are UNLOCKED) and you shut the hood........the doors lock themselves..then ya gotta spend some time breaking back into it...while the alarm is going off..and wont stop..at all..

sure do wish i could get that alarm figured out..that way this doesn't happen again

Also learned that the 4runner has a kill switch thats tied into the alarm system...LOL
Look under the dash around the fuse block area for a black plastic box with a wiring harness plugged into it. It'll probably look a little odd, or out of place. If you find it, unplug it. That should resolve your alarm issues.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Injohneer

* Nearly every bolt is easy to get to, if you have enough long extensions.
Haha.. like the starter motor on 2nd Gens. As long as you have a 3 foot extension they're easy to change!
Old 10-29-2009, 04:52 AM
Banned

it goes anywhere with 35s and 5.29s but the underside is rusty and rockers are shot. and i love 22re mileage. but, i completely hate push pull stock steering
Old 10-29-2009, 08:06 AM

That Toyota built it so well, that even with an 80% clogged radiator, 3 humans and six dog with a hugely overloaded 5x8 uhaul trailer... it'll still drive 500+ miles ( up mountains and through the desert ) before something bad happens. O.o

And then you find out some of the best people in the world own Toyotas when they help you fix that radiator problem.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If your ordering anything trail gear from a seller your better off going right to T.G. because every body drop orders from them so even if your 100 miles from the dealer you still have to wait 7-14 days for it to arrive because they are shipping it from Cali. not there shop100 miles away even though they say it will be there in 1-2 days so trying to support your local dealer is not always the best option.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by 89macrunner
it took me about 4 months to figure out the decklight

i learned i have skid plates from the factory

that my under carriage is really rusty

3.0s suck to fix
So what _IS_ the decklight thing anyway?

-sc
Old 10-29-2009, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by scaesare
So what _IS_ the decklight thing anyway?

-sc
To make it go:
* switch by steering wheel needs to be turned on
* main headlight switch needs to be on at least parking lights
* flip rocker switch in cargo area

voila, cargo light works (a.k.a. "deck light")

It's a bit convoluted, there are a few write-ups on bypassing one or more of the steps above by fiddling with the wiring.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found out it came a cheap pocket knife, 300w power inverter (works), several screwdrivers, sockets, wrenches,etc, an LED flashlight and almost $10 in change.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by predator_machine
I found out it came a cheap pocket knife, 300w power inverter (works), several screwdrivers, sockets, wrenches,etc, an LED flashlight and almost $10 in change.

So.... What your saying is you bought a bunch of expensive,useful items, and got a free truck?
Old 11-01-2009, 08:59 PM

1. Key wont unlock doors and rear window only goes down. Lubed it up some and now I can unlock doors but not roll up rear window.
2. Rear window button does not work.
3. Power steering needed replacing
4. spare tire carrier doesn't work
5. something seriously wrong with wiring
6. i love toyotas!
Old 11-01-2009, 09:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by QuickPaws
So.... What your saying is you bought a bunch of expensive,useful items, and got a free truck?
Yeah but I wasn't expecting a to find a truck in the box of useful stuff. Kinda like a prize in a cracker jack box
Old 11-01-2009, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by olharleyman
If your ordering anything trail gear from a seller your better off going right to T.G. because every body drop orders from them so even if your 100 miles from the dealer you still have to wait 7-14 days for it to arrive because they are shipping it from Cali. not there shop100 miles away even though they say it will be there in 1-2 days so trying to support your local dealer is not always the best option.
Yea my tie rod on my truck is bent
TG said no questions asked waranty but they told me i would have to send it to the guy i bought it from and he would have to send it in..

http://trail-gear.com/high-steer-kits.html

Im done with trail-queer.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I found that mine had a DEI remote start alarm installed that the dealer didn't know about, just had to buy a remote and an antenna and VOILA! Alarm works! Also, if you click up on the driver side auto window switch when the window is UP, it will roll 1/2 down!
Old 11-29-2009, 07:59 PM

Engine Code P0420 is the bane of my existence. $1500 and over a dozen visits to the shop and it is still coming back.

Got the truck with a bad Cat, put a magnaflow on and it turned out to be part of a "bad batch". Shop was supposed to put another magnaflow on, but put some no-name on (except by this point I didn't care because I had my truck back and the light was off)...But now, 3000 miles after the newest cat. It's throwing P0420 again.

Gee I hope this isn't why the previous owner sold it...couldn't pass emissions.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Rudy97
Engine Code P0420 is the bane of my existence. $1500 and over a dozen visits to the shop and it is still coming back.

Got the truck with a bad Cat, put a magnaflow on and it turned out to be part of a "bad batch". Shop was supposed to put another magnaflow on, but put some no-name on (except by this point I didn't care because I had my truck back and the light was off)...But now, 3000 miles after the newest cat. It's throwing P0420 again.

Gee I hope this isn't why the previous owner sold it...couldn't pass emissions.
I suppose the obvious thought is that something is destroying your Cat's effectiveness. Running too rich might do that.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:38 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rdharper
I suppose the obvious thought is that something is destroying your Cat's effectiveness. Running too rich might do that.
Misfires are the quickest way to kill a cat - anytime unburnt fuel gets into a cat converter it spells trouble
Old 01-03-2010, 12:59 PM

Just bought a 1985 4runner with 86 body and shell. Found out the original owner (of the 86) paid ~$11,400 for it (don't remember exact value) and financed $9,500 of it with an interest rate of 11.5%! Also spent $225 on a Ziebart undercoating. Went under the truck to find a majority of it still clinging to the bottom on the body. Also found out that my engine coolant looks more like gray oil mixed with small rubber chunks.....

Last edited by hiltu; 01-03-2010 at 02:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Thing you found out AFTER you owned your 4Runner for a while.