General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Thing you found out AFTER you owned your 4Runner for a while.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found out that if you drive into water that is deeper than your intake level, you will suck water into your engine.
I found out that 22re's don't like water.
I found out that you can shoot water like 4 feet out of your spark plug holes! (that one was kindof neat)
I found out that if you maintain at least 50% throttle at ALL times, you can drive a 4runner on 3 hurtin' cylinders.
I found out there is no such thing as a simple engine swap.
I found out that '92 22re accesories are not interchangable with '86 22re accessories.

I found out that $20 for a PVC homebuilt snorkel is a worthwhile investment.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:00 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I found out that toyota-4runner.org is totally useless and thats when I found yotatech!
I just found out about the secondary antenna in my 2nd gen
Compared to my old Subaru wagon, the 4runner can go more places at higher speeds, but less total distance
I keep spending money on it (not the engine at this point)
There are still accessories that I don't have but want
Old 09-07-2008, 07:36 AM
Contributing Member

I have to agree with the post about 4 Runners being ahead of their time. My 91 still had the WORKING CD and Casette from 91. CD. In 91!

The 3.0L with auto was a dog. Never figured out what was wrong. The vehicle was GREAT otherwise. My Family is bigger now, we might go for a nice 96-Up runner if we don't go landcruiser. But I like the Torsion bar suspension better than the coils.

I found out that the security code for the radio was handwritten in the owners manual after paying a dealer to try and unlock it. They found the code in the manual!

The auto tranny is really tough. I have always been scared of autos in small vehicles but the 4 Runner won me over. Solid, Solid shifting.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:24 AM

I remember when I bought my first 1st gen 4runner it took me a couple months to realize that there was a bag in the driver's side rear compartment for the damn rear window washer.

Deck lamp works only with the headlights on.

Oh, and with the A340 trannies, you cannot leave the Tcase in Low gear to hold the vehicle with the rear driveshaft out. I was flat towing at the time and had no Ebrake setup because of a rear disc conversion. I put the Tranny in Park with the front hubs locked and tcase in 4LO. five seconds after shutting the rig off and climbing out, it started rolling down a hill because it hydraulically disconnects itself.

Never bought another A/T again................

And on my current 88' V6 SR5, that when you put too much crap in the glove box will turn the interior glove box light on and allow it to flicker on/off constantly. Its not annoying at all..................
Old 09-11-2008, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Ritzy4Runner
The factory harness plug for the radio is the same for almost all Toyota's if you unplug the amplifier that comes with some stock radio's (So thats why they have all those connectors on the back of the radio!). found this out after I took the nice Toyota stock radio out of my 87 4Runner (which by the way was the stock radio in my son-in-laws 2003 Tacoma he gave to me) to put in my 95. Really confounded me for awhile as to why the rear plug on that nice radio didn't seem to have the same connector as I had when I first unplugged the 95's! After seaching eBay for toyota radios, started noticing some had the same connection as my 95 but wait! There it it! A silver colored box to plug into the radio! What did he say that was?? An amplifier??!! And I kid my lady about being blonde!

To change out the radio I had to remove the entire lower portion of both left and right sides of the dash to get to the center console to remove the cover and get to the 4 screws holding the radio in place. I really need to find a factory manual for this thing!
only 87 and newer. 80-86 had a larger plug
Old 09-11-2008, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by 4Banger
How about the Power Stearing cap on my first gen. Why is TOYOTA spelt TOYODA?
if you dig around you will find about 3 more places on teh truck where it is spelled that way as well....see if you can find them
Old 09-11-2008, 06:26 PM

I found out that someone let a monkey do my engine swap, making a mess out of wiring and rigging a few other things up to work in the most unsafe ways...

I also discovered that I can follow larger trucks than mine with a welded rear and 29" BFG A/T's aired down to 14 psi.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:47 PM

I learned that everything is broke except the drive train yeessss!!!!
Old 09-11-2008, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by smiljko
Speaking of keys - what about that small button that says push behind the steering wheel that is used to release the key.When I got my runner it was a mystery to me(my owners manual is in french )- I pushed and pushed -nothing happened it irritated me until I posted here on yotatech and found out what it does.Oh yes my keys are so worn out that I can pull them out even when the engine is running - comes in handy sometimes.
I had an 86 camry and the previous owner did this. Then I found out that you could start it with a penny, or any other object that would fit. The problem was when my friends found this out.

Oh ya and i just found out that i have the factory toyota mud flaps, they're not on but i have em. They were under the rubbery cover thing in the back. Who'da thunk it.

Last edited by YOTABP; 09-11-2008 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found out that someone stole my tranny dipstick,(made me a little nervous) not sure how long it was missing or how they got it,maybe the stealership?Its the first vehicle I've owned that will hold a whole bottle of washer juice and then some. And that the sparkplugs will try to walk off the job on you if you don't tighten them down good. (Thanks Mr. vehicle inspector that I paid good money to) but I caught it before it made its escape fully. it makes a funny ticking noise to alert the owner (thanks Toyota, Whew) adding a hood scoop adds like 100 H.P. or somthing
Old 09-11-2008, 10:15 PM

I found It looks even better dirty!
Old 09-12-2008, 04:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found out that your butt gets numb after 4hrs in on the road.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:46 PM

I found out nothing about mine
Old 09-12-2008, 07:51 PM

I didnt realize i would spend more money on modifying it then I bought it for :S
Old 09-15-2008, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by 4Banger
How about the Power Stearing cap on my first gen. Why is TOYOTA spelt TOYODA?
because that is the last name of the guy who invited toyota's. the only reason i know cause i'm going to school for toyota's
Old 09-15-2008, 09:30 PM

The black paint grew on me despite the pinstripping

The previous owner put one of those tornado things in the air intake
Old 09-17-2008, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by smiljko
Speaking of keys - what about that small button that says push behind the steering wheel that is used to release the key.When I got my runner it was a mystery to me(my owners manual is in french )- I pushed and pushed -nothing happened it irritated me until I posted here on yotatech and found out what it does.Oh yes my keys are so worn out that I can pull them out even when the engine is running - comes in handy sometimes.
that's not "worn" that's a factory thing. You can take the keys out in ANY position of the iginition. I found that out after my GF kept taking my keys out after "turning off the truck" and my battery would go dead. funny thing is it was still in the On position but she never knew to push the button and fully turn the key back HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... that sucked.

cheers

Dave
Old 09-17-2008, 09:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel_Freak
that's not "worn" that's a factory thing.
Dave
That is still a "worn" thing. No keys should be able to just be pulled out of the ignition in the acc, run, or start position unless the key is worn or the tumblers, or both. It happens when a vehicle approaches 20 years old. If the key doesn't have well defined and sharp rises and dips, then it is worn.They just round off with use.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by nv4runner
That is still a "worn" thing. No keys should be able to just be pulled out of the ignition in the acc, run, or start position unless the key is worn or the tumblers, or both. It happens when a vehicle approaches 20 years old. If the key doesn't have well defined and sharp rises and dips, then it is worn.They just round off with use.
Sure, but AMC, Chevy and old Toyotas all had the ability to remove the keys from the ignitionv while running...when they're new...

Another note: Someone mentioned that they're key would work on a buddies truck as well. I've heard that first gen runners and 1'st and 2nd gen trucks had a total of 4 or 5 different key paterns. I kid you not. my friends keys are nearly identical to mine... SCARRY!

Ok: I learned that:

-The clutch start cancel button is invaluble when wheeling.
-A Gen1 4Runner with 31's will go alot of places I never thought possible.
-It does indeed look better dirty and abused.
-That the frame is burlier than most 1 ton domestic trucks.
-that the Oil filter is put on by Farries with long 1" wide arms and was not designed to be worked on by the greater N. American Male mammal...
-That I really need a Tach for my 22RE adn that I desperately WANT the SR5 package's interior apointments...
- That there is NO better truck maker on the planet
- That solid axle or no, it'll still out wheel most Jeeps...Boy am I glad I don't own one of those things YUK!

Cheers

Dave

Last edited by Diesel_Freak; 09-19-2008 at 10:30 AM.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:38 PM
SR5

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Gangus2006
Originally Posted by ToyRider
I learned the bolts holding the skid plate on your truck are cheapo, crappy bolts. It does not take much to snap these bolts or strip the threads!! A major pain in the butt..

did this while mudding

Last edited by SR5; 09-19-2008 at 10:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Thing you found out AFTER you owned your 4Runner for a while.