General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic
Old 03-23-2016, 02:55 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota Tundra Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Show us your best cheap mods!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThatGuy1295
WTF Thats not a cheap mod, thats a hack job. You can purchase the factory pocket on from ebay for around $10. Were showing mods not how to hide trash in your dash.

If you dont want to go that route, then turn it into a switch panel. Now this is a cheap mod worth showing.

Haha the mod was not about appearance or garbage disposal. It was a mod on how to prevent the wires of the radio in the truck u just bought from getting ripped out, That's so you can listen to tunes while you spend that 10 bucks on wiring so wife's passenger window can be rolled down. That's better use of my time during this stage It's all about triage, necessity and time. Also I don't have any fancy accessories to need a cool switch panel yet, hell I'm just trying to get the factory stuff working at this time. Besides getting a factory pocket would not be a mod wouldn't that be a replacement?

LOL talk All the smack you want your just mad cause my cheap mod was cheaper than yours... Haha hey you have 1/3 of the stuff you need for my mod sitting in floor of your truck. See your almost there. Anyway no offence taken by the hack job comment, if I had a hack saw maybe it would look better. At least it runs....Lolz
Old 02-08-2013, 07:10 AM

You're gonna get some crap for that one no matter what lol. Why not get the factory brackets and at least bolt your deck in there the right way? That will also make it much more difficult for someone to steal.

I have to agree, cutting up a 2x4 and stuffing it anywhere for anything is not worthy of the 'best cheap mods' thread.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive always wanted to use this image. Yea that was getto, but we got a picture of a nice switch panel.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yea that was getto, but we got a picture of a nice switch panel.
You like my switch panel?
Old 02-09-2013, 01:41 PM

You like my switch panel?
We love it, and we love you man. Now please leave that poor kid alone. We all know it was a dumb post and have all seen people do dumb things to trucks. Just be happy he didn't cut a bottle in half to make a funnel then post the step by step.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:56 PM

It does?

Your absolutely correct, but it has to be a mod. Not stuffing trash between things.
GOTTA agree with the man, id be embarrased to say i put an empty oil container i couldn't put in the trash into my hacked up dash.....
Old 02-09-2013, 10:43 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Ontime 1969.. I might have an extra radio bracket u can have... And these pop up too, I got this on my classified ad, completely uncut w/pocket (which I find very useful as a tray/pocket ....) >>

Name:  064.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  232.6 KB

PS> I can see u don't have the same year, just an example.

S' ok to be razzed... Dont let it get to ya, just come back with somethin better each time, ya know?

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 02-09-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:40 AM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Toyota~Boy
No no no.... As I stated guys I wasn't defending anyone. Definitely not that dash space mod thingy. I just thought I'd ask you the question. No hard feelings here. But anyways sorry for getting off track.

Here is my best cheap mod.
Custom built front bumper. I built this the first week of 2012 deer season. After getting back in the woods I was turning around and of course not watching my frontend and I smacked a tree with my front bumper. This junked my little pop can bumper... Soooooo.... I made a new one....

My local steel warehouse gave me two 6' pieces of C channel. One is 6" the other is 4". They also gave me to pieces of 5/16 flat steel 6' by 6".

Here's Is what I created

Total cost was about $35.00. This was for welding wire, cut off wheels, D rings, and log chain. I already had the lights and center bull bar. By the way this took the whole first week of deer season to make. I would only work on it at lunch when I came out of the woods. My wife helped me bolt it to truck once I finished it on thanks giving
I really like that bumper!!! Ok so spill the beans hoe did you get the steel house to GIVE you some steel??? you work for them??? And 5/16's plate??? whoa all the trees better look out!!! lol how heavy is it??
Old 02-10-2013, 07:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bone collector

I really like that bumper!!! Ok so spill the beans hoe did you get the steel house to GIVE you some steel??? you work for them??? And 5/16's plate??? whoa all the trees better look out!!! lol how heavy is it??
No I don't work for them. I wish I did. Anything under 8' is considered scrap. All ya gotta do is dig it out of the pile. They won't give ya all of it. They try to share it with everyone that needs it. I built my own rocksliders out of scrape tubing from them. They even gave me 90* elbows for my bends.

Back to the bumper. The total of this bumper may hit 100 pound but I highly doubt it. When I placed it on my truck I was able to lift it up and hold it there while my wife started fastening it.

Trees......... I love emm. I become the laughing stock anymore when were wheeling. If there's a tree in my way from the size of a pop can down I shove it over lol.

When u built my bumper it was built large and heavy enough for a winch to fit in behind. However I still have no winch.

The chain was only put on it for looks. My ole bumper was chrome and I liked it. So I put the chain on it to kinda bring back a little silver. I have used that chain alot tho. It's excellent for hooking to others to for pulling out buddy's.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Ontime 1969.. I might have an extra radio bracket u can have... And these pop up too, I got this on my classified ad, completely uncut w/pocket (which I find very useful as a tray/pocket ....) >>

PS> I can see u don't have the same year, just an example.

S' ok to be razzed... Dont let it get to ya, just come back with somethin better each time, ya know?
Ahh I didn't know there was a section like that. Thanks I will be looking for stuff in that section now. Yes I belive in the "$h!7" factor if it wasn't for people like That guy and Citrus we would not figure out when we are making a dumb ass post. :-). I will build something for this location that is worthy of this thread, especially after seeing that guys switch panel and others. And then you will all fall by the wayside of the awesomeness of my truck, just kidding I can only hope to learn about this stuff as much as most of you.

@Toyota~boy. That's a sweet bumper.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:03 AM

These are my favorite DIY mods that I've put together. Granted they are all from my 2nd Gen Tacoma, but some of them could be tailored to suit a different model. And yes, I know some of these aren't cheap, but for comparison's sake, they are MUCH cheaper than buying some pre-fab'd/bolt-on solutions I've seen.

Hi-Lift / Tool Mounts: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f166...tacoma-264615/

Engine Bay / Winch LEDs:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f166...acomas-262563/

Hidden CB Install:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f166...tacoma-262559/

Horn Relocate:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f166...tacoma-262564/

OEM Heated Mirrors: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f166...acomas-262547/

ABS Kill Switch: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f166...tacoma-264174/

TRAC in 4LO (Yellow Wire Mod):
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f166...tacoma-264329/

...And some other cheap/useful mods I've done to my truck (I didn't do the write-ups for these though):
Fog Lights on anytime (useful w/ Hi Beams)
Interior LED Swap
886/894 Backup Lights (oem is 18w/297 lumens, 886 bulb is 50w/1257 lumens, 894 bulb is 38w/942 lumens)
Rear diff. breather
On-Demand Rear view camera (It's is useful on tight trails and kinda cool. I used this switch)

Last edited by Benson X; 02-12-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Benson X
These are my favorite DIY mods that I've put together. Granted they are all from my 2nd Gen Tacoma, but some of them could be tailored to suit a different model. And yes, I know some of these aren't cheap, but for comparison's sake, they are MUCH cheaper than buying some pre-fab'd/bolt-on solutions I've seen.

Hi-Lift / Tool Mounts:

Engine Bay / Winch LEDs

Hidden CB Install

Horn Relocate

OEM Heated Mirrors

ABS Kill Switch

TRAC in 4LO (Yellow Wire Mod)

...And some other cheap/useful mods I've done to my truck (I didn't do the write-ups for these though):
Fog Lights on anytime (useful w/ Hi Beams)
Interior LED Swap
886/894 Backup Lights (oem is 18w/297 lumens, 886 bulb is 50w/1257 lumens, 894 bulb is 38w/942 lumens)
Rear diff. breather
On-Demand Rear view camera (It's is useful on tight trails and kinda cool. I used this switch)
Thank you for the post! I've been meaning to put heated mirrors in my 'Coma for a while, but hadn't gotten to it yet. I am going to get parts and start now
Old 02-12-2013, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Pumpkinyota
Thank you for the post! I've been meaning to put heated mirrors in my 'Coma for a while, but hadn't gotten to it yet. I am going to get parts and start now
NP man! It is a nice luxury to have.

Let me know if you have questions on it. I've installed them personally on 2 trucks, and have assisted a few other guys with their installs.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:16 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
X2 Benson..... excellent ideas and nice looking work to boot! Been wanting to do my engine bay lighting for a while... want it in there for longer/OUT THERE trips. Like the CB Slot too. Sweet! Like it all, actually. Nice work
Old 02-12-2013, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
X2 Benson..... excellent ideas and nice looking work to boot! Been wanting to do my engine bay lighting for a while... want it in there for longer/OUT THERE trips. Like the CB Slot too. Sweet! Like it all, actually. Nice work
Thanks Chef, slowly getting to where I want it to be. I hope everyone knows those are links to the "Write-Ups" I did...if not, click the title above each picture to get there.

I wish I had more metalwork / welding skills & equipment so I could actually start fab'ing up some armor. I desperately need some skids and a new rear bumper. I wouldn't mind the extra clearance from a new front bumper either
Old 02-12-2013, 02:29 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Great write ups!! Awesome work Benson! I will be stealing some of those ideas
Old 02-12-2013, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Benson X
I wish I had more metalwork / welding skills & equipment so I could actually start fab'ing up some armor. I desperately need some skids and a new rear bumper. I wouldn't mind the extra clearance from a new front bumper either
My friend, if you have the ability to figure out and install the mods you reference above, you can do the fab. The biggest issue is not the skills, but the equipment. With he right tools, things get a lot easier. Raid grocery stores, etc, for a bunch of cardboard, and cut templates. Tape them in place on the vehicle to check fitment. Then, find a buddy with cutting and welding equipment, and pay them in beer to help you put it together.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:25 PM

My friend, if you have the ability to figure out and install the mods you reference above, you can do the fab. The biggest issue is not the skills, but the equipment. With he right tools, things get a lot easier. Raid grocery stores, etc, for a bunch of cardboard, and cut templates. Tape them in place on the vehicle to check fitment. Then, find a buddy with cutting and welding equipment, and pay them in beer to help you put it together.
I just read your write up on the hidden hitch - your fab skillz are fine =P
Old 02-13-2013, 07:13 AM

I just read your write up on the hidden hitch - your fab skillz are fine =P
Lol, thanks man. My Uncle in-law did all the welding for the winch mount and sliders, I just helped with the design and grunt work. He did an amazing job though, esp. since it's all 1/4" 6061-T6 aluminum.

I would have him help with skids and bumpers, but he works 50+ hours a week with 3 kids, and he lives about 3.5 hours away so he's a pretty busy guy. I wish I knew someone locally that has a shop/equipment.

Anyone in the Puget Sound, WA area want to help me build some armor???
Old 02-18-2013, 08:49 AM

Airhorn off a junk semi got the compressed to 50 bucks

Quick Reply: Show us your best cheap mods!