General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic
Old 03-23-2016, 02:55 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota Tundra Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Show us your best cheap mods!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
here's a good one

sorry i dont have any pics right now, but one of my cheapest and favorite mods was..... i left about 4 ft of slack in my speaker wire going to the rear 6x9's i have in theyre own box. now when i am camping or i go to a drive in movie i can pull them out from behind the seats and put them on the roof of the truck. this has been awsome! i use it a ton!
Old 06-26-2012, 11:18 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow, .... did you copy and paste what I said, Llama? hahaha... JK, but seriously, I was just telling someone that. I didn't want to cut on my rear panels...they're perfect/hard to find as such... So I got the triangle boxes and left extra wire... Now, when camping and Drive ins and Beach, ETC..... On the roof they go! lol... Of course, if the tops off, then it's not a problem anyhow, as I'm in a 4Runner... But I don't take it off too often any longer as I've been robbed a few too many times, ya know?

Cool to read that, it's a great mod, I agree! lol.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Wow, .... did you copy and paste what I said, Llama? hahaha... JK, but seriously, I was just telling someone that. I didn't want to cut on my rear panels...they're perfect/hard to find as such... So I got the triangle boxes and left extra wire... Now, when camping and Drive ins and Beach, ETC..... On the roof they go! lol... Of course, if the tops off, then it's not a problem anyhow, as I'm in a 4Runner... But I don't take it off too often any longer as I've been robbed a few too many times, ya know?

Cool to read that, it's a great mod, I agree! lol.
lol thats funny! no i didnt see that. i did this to my truck back in 07' the stereo was my first mod. the only problem i have had with the mod is when i have my sub on too loud it slowly shakes the speakers off of the roof, this of coarse destoys the box. lol oh well i just have to watch it or turn the bass down.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:45 AM

Orrrrrrrrr, .......... you could slap some Velcro Strips on the roof and then let the Speaker Carpet grip it and hold on for the 'BOOM-BOOM' ride? hahaha.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:47 AM

Orrrrrrrrrr, you could put a strap from one gutter to the other OVER the boxes to keep them in place? I'd try that one...doesn't leave velcro on the roof

PS> Sounds LOUD! I'm about to install one JL 10" Sub Enclosed box.... Shooting for "Wow, that Steely Dan Live Digital Audio sounds SICK on that system!" .... and the occasional "Hmmm, pretty decent mild-boom-boom for the occasional DJ Quick/Cube/Dre and otherwise dated "thump" and R&B, hahaha.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:47 AM

Orrrrrrrrr, .......... you could slap some Velcro Strips on the roof and then let the Speaker Carpet grip it and hold on for the 'BOOM-BOOM' ride? hahaha.
lol velcro on my paint....... I'm not quite that red neck. although it would work.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by thspittingllama
lol velcro on my paint....... I'm not quite that red neck. although it would work.
Ah hahhhh, ... but read the second idea I posted while you were typing hahaha. Ratchet Straps RULE, Sir! hehehe
Old 06-26-2012, 11:50 AM

Heck, with the ratchet straps, we could even drive around(a lil bit) like a Rock-n-Roll 4WD Ice Cream Yota! haha.

PS> YES< there is a guy that comes WAY up into Inyo County and another one who hits Big Rock Creek and other places up in there a bit, while I'm camping, with his Ice Cream TRuck..... IT'S 100+ DEGREES, all day every day in those places, summer time.... HE SELLS A LOAD, every time! hahaha.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:54 AM

[quote=ChefYota4x4;51936463]Orrrrrrrrrr, you could put a strap from one gutter to the other OVER the boxes to keep them in place? I'd try that one...doesn't leave velcro on the roof quote]

that would work too, but now we are looking at time spent setting up everytime. i was actually thinking of getting a sheet of some sticky rubber and just stappeling it to the bottom of the box.

Last edited by thspittingllama; 06-26-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:01 PM

Heck, with the ratchet straps, we could even drive around(a lil bit) like a Rock-n-Roll 4WD Ice Cream Yota! haha.

PS> YES< there is a guy that comes WAY up into Inyo County and another one who hits Big Rock Creek and other places up in there a bit, while I'm camping, with his Ice Cream TRuck..... IT'S 100+ DEGREES, all day every day in those places, summer time.... HE SELLS A LOAD, every time! hahaha.
hahaha for that i have a six inch speaker mounted into a six inch light frame mounted to my light bar and wired to the stereo
Old 06-26-2012, 12:03 PM

Yes, yes, sticky rubber is your frieeeeeeeeeeend! hahaha.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:12 PM

Yes, yes, sticky rubber is your frieeeeeeeeeeend! hahaha.
you make it sound so dirty! lol
Old 06-26-2012, 12:13 PM

Hahaha... Actually, I didn't mean that at all, lol.... OOPS! Kinda meant it like, "Duct tape is your frieeeeeeeend!".... which it IS, and I have some on every trip just in case! hehe
Old 06-26-2012, 12:35 PM

stopped being lazy and took a pic. you can see my lightbar mounted speaker as well. Name:  speakers1.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  166.4 KB
Old 06-26-2012, 12:37 PM

Ah hahhh, yes! So, what kind of 6x9's are those? I've had these Pioneer 4ways for at least 13 years.... Not sure if they're 'iffy', but I think one of them get's a lil iffy if turned up too much... I'll first see how they do with the amps once those are installed... But just curious.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:41 PM

Ah hahhh, yes! So, what kind of 6x9's are those? I've had these Pioneer 4ways for at least 13 years.... Not sure if they're 'iffy', but I think one of them get's a lil iffy if turned up too much... I'll first see how they do with the amps once those are installed... But just curious.
they are memphis audio, "carbon fibers?" the cone is carbon fiber. they are loud as.... i would highly recomend them! oh and ps. on the sub look at mtx, they are imho best bang for the buck.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:53 PM

rear shelf mod

Any one have an extended cab with that cheapo cardboard shelf behind the seat? they are always either sagging, broken or flat out removed. well i hated mine so i took it out and cut a piece of 3/4' particle board in the same shape, carpeted it with some speaker box carpet and bolted it with some longer bolts with dome'd heads and the wedge iners(not sure what they are called) to the stock shelf mounting brackets. then i cut a 3.5' piece of 2x4 to support/ brace the middle to the floor board and screwed it into place. i dont have a great pic of it but i think its not to hard to understand.... cost $5 peice of loose scrap at home depot.

Name:  shelf1.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  51.3 KB

Last edited by thspittingllama; 06-26-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:58 PM

Already have a JL 10" High End Sub in a box.... Buddy gave me that and 2 Amps(4 and 2 channels) for 100$ Actually, he wanted to give them to me, before he deployed, but I pleaded with him to let me give him something.... He said, "Meh, 100$", I said, "HERE", haha.

Memphis Audio, eh? I've had Boston Acoustics in a friends rig that were SO clean.... And to be honest, my Pioneers are very clean/nice.... BUT, ... I think being 4ways is not always best when it comes to amplified add ons, no? Anyway, thanks for the answer, I'll look into doig some research, fo sho!
Old 06-26-2012, 01:09 PM

Already have a JL 10" High End Sub in a box.... Buddy gave me that and 2 Amps(4 and 2 channels) for 100$ Actually, he wanted to give them to me, before he deployed, but I pleaded with him to let me give him something.... He said, "Meh, 100$", I said, "HERE", haha.

Memphis Audio, eh? I've had Boston Acoustics in a friends rig that were SO clean.... And to be honest, my Pioneers are very clean/nice.... BUT, ... I think being 4ways is not always best when it comes to amplified add ons, no? Anyway, thanks for the answer, I'll look into doig some research, fo sho!
i have a huge 800watt peak, 100watt rms x4 channel amp hooked up to them and they love the abuse. "Sorry we are getting off topic!!" lol
Old 08-05-2012, 08:05 AM

cheap practicle and legitamentafied

if your bed looks like crap,( i have a pickup)Flatbed, allthough it can get expensive fast you can find cheap material through word of mouth. i have a steel deck with wooden rails that are removable. My favorite mod is puting a quick disconnect on my door buzzer and leaveing that sucker disconnected

Quick Reply: Show us your best cheap mods!