General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

New Brakes Squeak-BAD

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 07:26 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New Brakes Squeak-BAD

My rotors and brakes were pretty shot thanks to the previous owner of my T100, pads had about 10k left I estimate and the passenger rotor had a nice gouge all along the entire thing about 1/8" deep. So I ordered brembo blanks and a set of Hawk LTS pads off tire rack after checking them out.

Having neither the time or knowhow on how to remove hubs to change it out I let my mechanic do it (he does good work). But something is bothering me, I just picked up and they squeak bad.

If I really apply the brakes they squeak, which I assumed would happen. But it seems to me they also sound like they are still contacting the rotors a bit after I let off the brakes. One of my calipers needed to be replaced and he did this with a yota part too, but it is both sides squeaking-like when your pads are wearing down and the screech clip goes off.

Now my guess is either: A) The whole thing needs about 100 miles to break in right, hopefully the schreech clip type noise goes away. I can live with the squeak of the brakes themselves as they are HD pads. B) He messed something up...

This making any sense at all?

Last edited by CJM; 10-14-2006 at 07:30 AM.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take the pads back off and apply de-squeak to the backsides --- (its available at all parts stores) It acts as an isolator and should cure your problem
Old 10-14-2006, 08:25 AM
CJM

I managed to disassemble everything. Rotors are fine the pads are ok except the spring retainer piece (not sure the proper name) that fits over the outside of the pads on the oputside the caliper-its a sheetmetal piece. It fell off after I took the tire off, the passengerside seems fine..

Thanks for the help miller
Old 10-14-2006, 10:16 AM
CJM

Update:
I found several things wrong, I cannot blame my mechanic the only thing he didnt do was not apply disc brake quiet (aka anti squeak).

1. The drivers side caliper sheet metal retainer was not tight enough a fit, it needed to be adjusted.

2. Drivers side caliper roll pins had no cotter pins on end, I drilled out the dirty ends and put on some spare cotter pins I had laying around. The passenger side is brand new as a pistol was siezed and I had my mechanic replace it-no worries thier.

3. The drivers side looks to be leaking brake fluid, perhaps from bleeding the brakes-this will have to be checked.

I fixed verything and sprayed the pads while they were still on the caliper-didnt feel like removing them. Works fine now, no squeaks.

Last edited by CJM; 10-14-2006 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
How can you not blame your mech. Sounds like he did not do a good job.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:29 PM
CJM

Originally Posted by Paul H.
How can you not blame your mech. Sounds like he did not do a good job.
I guess it's b/c I dont think my mechanic who does very good work (owner of the shop) did the work-his second man did it if I were to guess. It wouldnt suprise me as the guy has messed up before but he keeps him around b/c any decent help is hard to find. I dont fault him, as no one is perfect.

I am gonna call the guy monday and see whats up. I wouldnt dare take it a dealer unless I had no choice b/c they would have wanted 500 dollars for the same job and then told me I needed tons of other stuff which is probably fine.

Dont tell me you never ever had a mechanic screw up by accident? Lets not forget I am the second owner of the truck, chances are the guy before me lost the cotter pins and never replaced the bad caliper. I admit the metal retaining piece did fit in there and was tight but it didnt fit tight enough, and the disc brake quiet can be forgotten-I have done it before..

Last edited by CJM; 10-14-2006 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
lol ur mechanic sucks.... i do all the work on all my rigs and if its to hard like chaning the t-belt i take it to my freinds shop
Old 10-14-2006, 06:58 PM
CJM

Originally Posted by Elton
lol ur mechanic sucks.... i do all the work on all my rigs and if its to hard like chaning the t-belt i take it to my freinds shop
Good help is hard to find..
Old 10-16-2006, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Similar issue ...

Was just reading through. I'm having the same problem. Bought ceramic pads on Ebay (Trustar). Noticed the box had no ratings or certifications on it - which would indicate that they met some type of standards or testing. Turns out they're squeling and blowing dust like a mofo after 500 miles.... morale of the story .. buy certified parts. My rotors were good and i painted up my calipers really nice - but now i need to do the whole thing over. My own stupid fault.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:27 PM
CJM

Thats why I checked out pads before hand and didnt buy them off fleabay. My pads squeak a bit still after applying anti squeak but its to be expected b/c they are heavy duty pads.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:11 PM
CJM

Well my praise for my good mechanic is now annoyance!

For the past week or so the one wheel is covered in brake dust..odd I figured. Then today I hear a nice highpitched whine from that side.

Amazing that after taking a look the inner pad is damn near worn away and the outer pad is fine. The rotor is now a bit uneven too..

To say I am pissed is an understatement..he will be buying me int he very least new pads and turning that rotor or getting a new one. I hope to god he can get the pads, b/c they dont stock them at local dealers or auto stores afaik.

He better make good on this...
Old 10-22-2006, 07:29 PM
CJM

Yea it really seems odd to me, the screech clip (the metal clip) is contacting the pad afaik, but the pad is being worn out to an extreme.

I know I put it back together right after I sprayed some anti-squeak on it and after a week or so to be that worn down-something is wrong. That side he replaced the caliper on as well..makes me wonder if thats the problem.

Let's just hope he covers the parts b/c I special ordered them so I wouldnt use crappy yota stuff (is it me or is ar thier truck pads and rotors cheap?).
Old 10-23-2006, 04:51 PM
CJM

Update:

My mechanic made good on everything including the better pads I had him use. As I figured the caliper had seized for reasons he and I cannot figure out. He turned the rotor, replaced the caliper and used new pads. Everything is fine now