General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Longer leaf springs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Longer leaf springs?

Ok, so I'm planning my purchase of some new leaf springs but I can"t find an answer to this question...

"What is the advantages/disadvantages of using longer leaf springs?"

I see a lot of people using the Chevy spring swap, trail Gear, AllPro, etc and these are all longer than stock. But then many go the Downey route which are direct replacement as far as the length goes. So what are some of the pro's and Con's?

Here's what I think but I'm not sure..

Pro's of the longer leaf:
Better flex/articulation
Smooth ride since the load is spread out more

Con's of the longer leaf:
Installation requires more skill
Lessens the carrying load??

Anyone want to chime in and educate me? Thanks
-=Morphine=-
Old 02-24-2007, 10:33 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
Con: Longer springs means better chance of axle wrap, as such with softer springs.

If im wrong...someone chime in here, but I think im correct
Old 02-24-2007, 11:03 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Yep, that's gotta be right, lever-action involved there. I think it may change where the axle sits with regard to the middle of the leaf pack. Which, however, may offset the axle wrap effect, may worsen it for all I know,(I know stock springs let the axle sit exactly in the middleish). Or, maybe you just lengthen the driveshaft, or get that sweet budbuilt trac-bar. Heckifino.

Last edited by MudHippy; 02-24-2007 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From what I have read about using the chevy springs it does not change the load carrying ability after all they come out of a half ton pickup. The longer springs do add to the ability to flex more and do give a softer ride. Supposedly since the chevy leaf springs are thicker and slightly more beefy than the stock toyota's, axle wrap is less of a problem as long as blocks arent used. This is just my understanding from what all I have researched about the swap, as I now have a pair of 63" chevy's waiting to go in my 88 runner that I am redoing. It does require some skill installing them if you are building your own shackles, if you buy the sky's chevy kit will just require patience and some welding.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the Chevy's and don't have any problems with axle wrap. They ride like a Cadillac. I've towed a couple quads on a trailer and loaded the back of the rig with camping gear and didn't hardly see any sag at all.

Only con that I can think of is with the front mounting point, its down lower on the frame which can drag on obstacles. Using a "ramped" mount such as the one sky sells will help. Also the rear sticks out a bit and might decrease your departure angle depending on your bumper.