General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic
View Poll Results: How many miles does your rig go between oil changes?
< 3000
9.85%
34.77%
14.62%
25.38%
3.69%
> 6000
15.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 650. You may not vote on this poll

How many miles do you go between oil changes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use dino oil,and I change it every 3000 miles or when ever I get bored,witch ever comes first.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Joe
If Toyota can prove the oil caused the damage by not changing it on a regular mileage basis, then Amsoil will pick up the bill - to my knowledge this has never occurred. To my knowledge Toyota has never alleged that using Amsoil over their recommended drain interval has ever caused any engine damage and voided a customers warranty. I suppose someday it may happen but I'll go with those odds any day of the week. Using expensive full synthetic motor oil for extended drain intervals is no more expensive than using Dino and changing every 3 to 5K. Under normal use and normal conditions both oils will serve our vehicles well, however, the extended drain people will have more time on their hands for other activities than "changing oil".
I think by law in order to void a warranty it's up to the dealer to prove that the problem was caused by something you did.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by no1sportz
I run Amsoil Series 2000 0W30 Racing oil in all my vehicles. Along with an Amsoil filter too ofcourse! I change my vehicles around 12K to 15K depending on what I have been doing with it. My wife's 2002 has over 80K on it and has run Amsoil since day 1...yes day 1. It just now feels like it is broken in...in other words more powerful than ever. I break all (ATVs, dirtbikes, watercraft, trucks, tractors) my machines in with Amsoil from the beginning. I drain the crap from the dealers out right away and switch over immediately. I change again at 1K for road vehicles and after that it is every 12 to 15K. My 2004 4Runner has had it since 20 miles. Love this stuff!!
I switched all of my fluids (engine oil, tranny, differential) to amsoil when my truck hit 27,000 miles. I'm now at over 75,000 miles and i've been using Amsoil's recommended intervals with their series 2000 0w-30 oil in my truck. Everything has been going good so far. The engine seems to run smoother, quieter, and i get better mileage with amsoil as well.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:23 AM

Bottomline if you don't follow the warranty service recommendations and use the intervals and indicated fluid ratings the manufacture "can" void your warranty. If your engine blew-up and it was going to cost them to replace it they would ask for your proof of service. If you did not have it or you used an oil that was not API rated per the manufactures recommendations they will/could tell you your out of luck. They don't have to prove anything you proved it for them with the non-API rated oil you used or with the extended OCI that you used. Of course you can get a lawyer but that's going to cost you some big $$$ since on the surface you are in violation of the warranty and no Lawyer is going to take the case on contengency. I don't need the hassle plus I like having warranty protection so I have the dealer do the service and follow the rules until my warranty runs out. JMHO
Old 01-29-2005, 10:03 AM
Joe
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Pitbull
Bottomline if you don't follow the warranty service recommendations and use the intervals and indicated fluid ratings the manufacture "can" void your warranty. If your engine blew-up and it was going to cost them to replace it they would ask for your proof of service. If you did not have it or you used an oil that was not API rated per the manufactures recommendations they will/could tell you your out of luck. They don't have to prove anything you proved it for them with the non-API rated oil you used or with the extended OCI that you used. Of course you can get a lawyer but that's going to cost you some big $$$ since on the surface you are in violation of the warranty and no Lawyer is going to take the case on contengency. I don't need the hassle plus I like having warranty protection so I have the dealer do the service and follow the rules until my warranty runs out. JMHO

I think what everyone is talking about here is using a full synthetic per the synthetic oil manufacture's guidelines. The full synthetic will meet Toyota's specs and if the engine failed with Amsoil Series 2000 at 10,000 miles on the motor oil - Toyota would have to prove that the Amsoil was the cause of the engine failure and of course, Amsoil would contest that in court. The Amsoil user wouldn't be out a penny in this type of scenario.

1.The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))

This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of the law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle maker's brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty, which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:

“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name...” (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).
Old 01-29-2005, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Alin10123
I switched all of my fluids (engine oil, tranny, differential) to amsoil when my truck hit 27,000 miles. I'm now at over 75,000 miles and i've been using Amsoil's recommended intervals with their series 2000 0w-30 oil in my truck. Everything has been going good so far. The engine seems to run smoother, quieter, and i get better mileage with amsoil as well.

I can't agree more.I use AMSOIL in all my tools also. For the dirt and the street.For the motor and trans and diff. Good stuff.

www.puresynthetics.com
Old 01-29-2005, 03:04 PM

Joe all that would happen is you would not have an engine and you would be caught between Toyota and Amsoil. The Amsoil synthetic is not API rated which is required by Toyota and 10K miles is way over the 5K mile OCI that Toyota states for warranty coverage. Toyota doesn't have to prove anything. They just have to site you didn't follow the rules of your warranty and they voided it. You would then have to pay for a Lawyer (Amsoil isn't going to pay for your Lawyer) and you will have to hope you can prove with expert witnesses that the oil or the OCI did not cause your problem and then you have to hope that the judge rules in your favor. Not worth it. I would rather change my oil using a good dino oil every 5K miles and then when the warranty isn't a consideration I will switch to a full synthetic and run a 7500 mile interval. We have had many owners on the Turbo Diesel Registry that had a warranty problem based on not following Dodge warranty guidelines (engine chipped or fuel system modified). Dodge just sites that the guidelines were violated and void the owners warranty. They never have to prove that the problem was caused by the violation, they just void the warranty. Not one owner has been able to have their warranty reinstated.
Old 01-29-2005, 03:13 PM
Joe
Contributing Member

http://www.amsoil.com/warranty.aspx
Old 01-29-2005, 04:16 PM

Good luck, I would not want to be the one between two major companies pointing fingers at each other. Example is number 9 below.

AMSOIL RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REJECT A WARRANTY CLAIM FOR ANY OR ALL OF THE FOLLOWING REASONS:
1. Failure to follow all OEM recommendations for warranty coverage, including lubricants, maintenance, and drain intervals, prior to the first installation of AMSOIL lubricants.
2. AMSOIL INC. was not notified within 30 days from the date of failure.
3. Claim information is insufficient.
4. Parts inspected do not substantiate a claim or indicate failure.
5. Parts requested were not sent or are unavailable for inspection.
6. Oil sample was not provided.
7. Failure of the customer to follow the written procedure herein.
8. Customer refused to cooperate with the investigation.
9. Failure was the result of an OEM defect.
This warranty shall be governed, interpreted and construed by, and in accordance with, the laws of the State of Wisconsin.

Last edited by Pitbull; 01-29-2005 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:27 PM

Mobil1 says that you can use it for the maximum OEM drain interval, which would be 7500 miles on my 98 Tacoma. 5000 mile drain intervals with Mobil1 seems safe since that's the severe maintenance schedule in the manual.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:36 AM

I barely drive 3,000 miles a year, so I change my oil once a year. Been using Mobil 1.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With proper oil changes either dino or synthetic, long or short I think the engine is the last thing thats gonna go during the warranty period, the last thing I want to have to go through is the dealer telling me my warranty is voided cause of my oil changes.

When I worked in Nissan a guy's Maxima had a rod through the block and the A-hole service writer was like your warranty is voided and you have to pay for all work yourself, long story short the inside of the engine was spotless and it was a weak piston rod that should have never made it into the engine but it did, Nissan took care of the guy and the writer as usual had his head up his azz.

If your engine does go during the warranty period, their are obvious signs that you do or do not change the oil, Toyota will want your engine sent back for testing the oil left on the engine to see how long it was actually left in the engine and when they pull the engine apart how it looks will tell a great deal, also lease or buying may make a difference, previous owner if it was bought used, it's not that easy to just tell a customer their warranty has been voided, if you change your own oil with synthetic and do long change intervals and they void it I would tell you to get a lawyer cause your right, the engine was faulty from the get go and with a good lawyer you will walk away with more then the car was originally worth to you.

I think this says it best, Car companies are huge, impersonal and powerful organizations that often give unhappy customers a hard way to go. Want to buy a car? We love you. Got an expensive problem that's not covered by our warranty? Sorry, can't help you.

got that off an article about the Toyota engine sludge problem
Old 02-01-2005, 10:24 PM
Banned

I go about 3,000 miles between oil changes on both my accord and my yota.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:15 PM

I change the oil about every 7k miles... Castrol Syntec.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Pitbull
Your Toyota warranty will not be valid if you have a failure that they can claim is due to you not using the correct rated oil and changing within the Toyota recommended interval. You would need receipts that show you had the recommended work done to cover you for the warranty. I know that you can fight this, but I just can't see going through the possible crap. These engines will run longer than you would want to own the truck by just using the Toyota filter and the recommended dino oil and changing it at the recommended interval. I know that a lot of guys have fun using bypass filters and extended drain intervals with oil analysis and if that is your thing that's great. But don't just do the extended drain interval without the testing and regular filter changes or you might be buying a new engine on your own nickle. JMO
This is great advice! I use Royal Purple Racing 21 and a mix of LC20 and Schaeffer's #132 on 10K mile OCI's. I have worked up to this OCI by multiple UOA's and quality intrepretation from Dyson Analysis (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/terry.html). I would not run extended OCI's without analysis, intrepretation, and quality oil/filters.

As stated above, just extending OCI's without analysis is a recipe for disaster.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone see the Mobil commercials now offering 5000, 7500 and 15000 miles oils, I went to the website and Mobil does not recommend using anything past your warranty but you can they just don't say you can, mobilone.com
Old 02-24-2005, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by EDGE
Anyone see the Mobil commercials now offering 5000, 7500 and 15000 miles oils, I went to the website and Mobil does not recommend using anything past your warranty but you can they just don't say you can, mobilone.com
The 15000 mile oil is probably marketed toward the European cars with long drain intervals.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by EDGE
Ya I seen it. I thought it was funny cause when AMSOIL thru the extended intervals out there it was a no no. Know Mobil 1 is jumpin on it and dealerships are extending the intervals too. Hmmm

http://www.puresynthetics.com

Last edited by ssyota; 03-27-2005 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:25 AM

Whats amazing is that no one uses redline synthetics. Since i bought the truck i been using redline after 9K and been using it now for 42K. I change it every 5K because i purchased the prepaid service maintence up to 55K which is a complete waste of money because i knew i was going to synthetic anyway. I may have to be the first gunny pig and test it for 10-12K and see what kind of results i get. I check my oil regularly and at 5K it still looks pretty good so could i go longer sure, how long i dont know till its time to test.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:42 AM
Contributing Member

I have RedLine in my gearboxes. I also used Redline in my Eclipses boxes and tranny but even running synthetic (Mobile 1) I changed it every 3000 miles (it was regualrly raced) and it was more cost effective to not run RedLine in the engine.

Quick Reply: How many miles do you go between oil changes?