General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

California rules on engine swap....

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
California rules on engine swap....

This is my situation...I have a 22RE in my 85 4runner. I want a 22E (getting rid of fuel injection for carburetor). I hear hearsay though that this "de-evolving" of an engine is illegal in California due to our wonderful (by wonderful I mean **** *** **** **** ) smog regulations. Anyone in good old Czecklosfonia deal with this issue or have any information? I have been searching the B.A.R. and talking to mechanics but no one seems to know for sure or point me to the legal ramblings that state yes or no.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:07 PM

im pretty sure as long as the motor is the same year or newer as the vehicle it is ok.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:15 PM
Contributing Member

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/replace.htm?PF=Y

"Replacement Engines
Entire engines can be replacement parts. As with any other replacement part, the engine must be identical to the original. If the replacement block or engine is obtained without emissions equipment, all the equipment from the original engine must be installed on the replacement block.
If the engine is not identical to the original then it is not a replacement part, instead it is considered an engine change.
Engine changes are a modification that must meet certain requirements to be legal (please see "Engine Changes"). "

"
Engine Changes
Engine changes are legal as long as the following requirements are met to ensure that the change does not increase pollution from the vehicle:
The engine must be the same year or newer than the vehicle.

The engine must be from the same type of vehicle (passenger car, light-duty truck, heavy-duty truck, etc.) based on gross vehicle weight.

If the vehicle is a California certified vehicle then the engine must also be a California certified engine.

All emissions control equipment must remain on the installed engine.

After an engine change, vehicles must first be inspected by a state referee station. The vehicle will be inspected to ensure that all the equipment required is in place, and vehicle will be emissions tested subject to the specifications of the installed engine. "
Old 02-01-2007, 05:02 PM

That makes it pretty freak'n clear. Not what I wanted to hear but looks like I need to get another 4runner with a 22R
Old 02-01-2007, 05:04 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Or leave cali.......
Old 02-01-2007, 08:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Popak2
That makes it pretty freak'n clear. Not what I wanted to hear but looks like I need to get another 4runner with a 22R
Not gonna happen. Only '84 4Runners came with the 22R and then you'd run into incompatible years. Also, swapping an EFI engine for a carbed one is considered taking a step backwards and emissions nazis will probably not allow it anyway. The opposite is usually allowable.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:10 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
Yea, why go from EFI to carbbed? There are guys waiting in LINE for that EFI conversion.

You COULD just get the parts to convert to carbed using your current engine (the only difference between R and RE is the cam centric, knock sensor, and FP block plate, all switchable parts) but the money that it would take...WHY??
Old 02-02-2007, 07:47 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Yea, why go from EFI to carbbed?
x2

The 22R was available in 2WD trucks until at least '89 (I had one), so meeting the "newer" requirement is possible, but with the CARB regulations, I doubt any of those were sold in CA. I got mine in AZ.