General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

cab swap/frame swap. wich title to use?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011 | 06:46 PM

cab swap/frame swap. wich title to use?

looked, havnt found an answer. this question has been bugging me for awhile. so anyway, my 85 pickup has a cracked frame, needs a new one. my 88 has a good frame, yet no title. if i was gonna drop my 85's cab onto my 88's frame, wich title would i use? Of course i would go by the vin number on the dash, or anywhere in the cab, but god forbid my 88 was actually a stolen truck, it wouldnt feel right, and i'm sure the dmv wouldnt be happy.

but lets say i have no title for my cab, and dropped it onto frame of a truck that did have a title, i would still actually be driving a titled truck, but the vin numbers wouldnt match up.

anyway, point im getting to, is if i were to take one cab, and one frame, would i use the title for the frame im using, or the cab im using?

and im not planning on doing that with my trucks. besides being toyota incest, i mwouldnt want to convert my solid axle 85, to ifs LOL

...reason im asking is because my 85, that does have a title, needs a new frame. and donor trucks are wayyy cheaper when you buy them on a bill of sale.
Old 08-04-2011 | 10:00 PM

Smile

Being your in New Jersey and it seems to be the East Coast California good luck.

Now here in Pa it would be the Cab if there ever was a vin on the frame it is long since gone.

you are pulled over the officer asks for your paper work the vin does not match the paper work. At this point things will get interesting because by law you are driving a vehicle with no insurance or license tag also How would it be inspected??

We can also get a reconstructed title and get all new #`s

There was big flaps about this back in the early eighties with glider kits for over the road trucks you bought the glider kit new front suspension with a new cab and frame rails and swapped all else over from tired older truck or stolen brand new truck.

The vehicle in question goes by the cab every thing else can be swapped out and it is still the same vehicle.
Old 08-04-2011 | 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
The vehicle in question goes by the cab every thing else can be swapped out and it is still the same vehicle.
so a bill of sale cab, on a titled frame is bad.

titled cab on a bill of sale frame is good.

i know, i know. check my local laws. cant seem to find anything so it looks like i will have the dreaded phone conversation, be on hold for 3 days, get transfered 26 times, talk to people who speak broken english and use words like "eleventeen", just to accomplish nothing and have them tell me they cant find anything. oh yeah, im looking forward to it.

tell me more about this re-constructed title. sounds like we're getting somewhere
Old 08-05-2011 | 03:02 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

You will need to ask your DMV. Here in Missouri, just the cab VIN is what they go by. Just have to make sure your frame isnt listed as stolen. I got a frame from a junk yard and kept the Bill of Sale on it just to cover my butt.

You can have the Hiway Patrol to run your VIN on your frame, and as long as it is clean, you should be good. I have done frame swaps and when done just asked a trooper to check me out when I was done. Wasnt hiding anything and gave me piece of mind. Just want to make sure nothing comes up listed as stolen or that is where things can go bad.
Old 08-05-2011 | 05:59 AM

IS there actually a serial number on the frame?
I've done a complete frame off rebuild on my 90 pickup and didn't find a serial anywhere. I've blasted and coated the frame and wasn't able to find one. Closest thing I found was a chassis code stamped by the front passenger wheel area

The whole serial number frame thing might be a moot point...
Old 08-13-2011 | 11:19 PM

Smile

A reconstructed title comes about if you take a vehicle that had gotten a salvage title. Bring it back to inspectable condition and drive it on the street again

right now I just can`t recall the process in which you get a salvage title

If you by a complete vehicle from a Yard to show transfer of vehicle but it has been quite a while