General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Build "up" or buid "tough"

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 06:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Build "up" or buid "tough"

I'm just curious what your guys opinions are for what direction you should first take while building up a 4x4 trail rig.

Should you build it up i.e raise it/lift it/bigger tires as your first main priority?

Or should you build it tough as your first priority (i.e. sliders, tougher skid plates, better underbody protection, tougher components, etc.).

What direction would you prefer to take? If you had to do one over the other, which one would you do?
Old 04-26-2007, 06:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First question is, is this a dedicated trail rig or will you be driving it daily while you're building it?

If it is a dedicated trail rig it's really your call....might want to talk to Brian (waskillywabbit, not sure if he is on here or UltimateYota.com now) but he is building up a 1st gen runner and he's done a killer job with it.

If it were me I'd build it tough and then build it up. First off the protection aspect will help you right away while wheeling it. Also, as soon as you do the "up" part your mileage will drop, assuming you do tires at this same time. Kind of goes along the lines of, protect it before you wheel it. As in, protect it so you won't get it messed up after you lift it, because in the end, the lift is what will help you get it into those sticky spots where the protection will really come in handy.

There's really no right or wrong way, just do research and talk to people that have done it before and go from there.

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 04-26-2007 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:26 PM

I in the same boat....I'm opting for building it tough (so I don't mess up my sweet Anthracite metalic paint) I want to have a good time wheeling my rig but I dont want to thrash it!
Its also my daily driver so I dont want my underbelly vulnerable!

Last edited by Yota Runner; 04-26-2007 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I only posted this from a curiousity stand point - I don't plan on altering my suspension or adding any body protection personally though. Just want to see what guys have done and perhaps give some input to others.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:32 PM

My Anthracite paint is already beat up bad, if you plan on offroading, dont worry about the paint, its the least of your worries.

First thing i did was get a new bumper. the stock one always got in the way. so make it tough first.

Last edited by Knuckles; 04-26-2007 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:56 PM
Contributing Member

my order of mods were:

-lift & tires

-sliders (done before i actually wheeled it)

-front bumper

-tundra brakes

-bigger tires

-regear + front arb locker

i'd really like to do some more underbody protection..and a rear bumper. its currently the only vehicle in the household, and i know toyotas are tough as nails, so im not too worried about breaking things. although i've already had to replace a rear lower link, and it looks like i'll have to be doing that again for both sides. i'll usually upgrade as i break things...so hopefully i wont need to be upgrading as much now...
Old 04-27-2007, 06:57 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"tough"

First, 'wheeling is a lot more fun when you're less concerned about destroying your truck. You will gain A LOT of driving skill by attempting harder trails with stock height and open diffs.

Second, lockers will more to increase the capability of the rig than either lift or tires.

Third, lift brings trouble. How many people have suspension/driveline issues at stock height? (None) How many have them after lift? (a few)

Lastly, at some point after you gain considerable experience, you MAY realize that stock IFS is a limitation and that you want to go long travel or SAS. At which point, you are cutting off items you spent a bunch of money on.

Order:
sliders
skids
bumpers
tires when the ones you have are worn out
lockers/gears
lift, long travel, SAS as necessary for how you use your truck

Last edited by tc; 04-27-2007 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:52 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I like to have:

Maximum ground clearence. 35+" tires and 2-3" of suspension lift is what I want, minimum. All this will help your angles of approach, departure, break-over. That will make your vehicle more capable, less easily breakable, and less likely to cause damage to the trail itself.

Maximum wheel travel/Articulation. Ball joint spacers are under consideration, but low profile bumpstops fr/rr and longer shocks with soft flexible springs are a must. NO SWAY BARS OFF ROAD!

Maximum traction. Appropriate tires for the terrain to be traversed. Lockers, LSDs, etc. Traction bars, 3 links, what have ya.

Maximum component strength. How can you go wrong there? If you can buy a tougher one, do. I don't care what it is. They make the tougher ones for a purpose, somebody broke one of the stock ones. Swap, swap,swap. Make it happen.

Maximum protection. REAL bumpers. Cages. Skid plates/sliders. Braces/trusses. Drivetrain lift. If you need a snorkel, you need a new hobby.

Enough torque. Gears. HP. Clutch that can handle it.

That's about it, for my taste.

Last edited by MudHippy; 04-27-2007 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:09 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ummm - thanks for listing EVERYTHING MudHippy LOL
Old 04-27-2007, 08:41 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I don't have it all, but I'd like to. Was I supposed to choose? Oh, the thread, I see. Well, maybe what I mean is you shouldn't have one without the other. Everything compliments the next, strengthening the chain in total. If a little "up" won't hurt the "tough", not sayin' it can't, then it can be of some benefit. As little lift as possible to do what you do for fun. Too much invites trouble, that we can agree on.

Last edited by MudHippy; 04-27-2007 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:45 PM
Banned

Build it tough first, but drive it easy when offroad.