Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Where do I start?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 06:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where do I start?

Hey guys, I'm not really much of a gear head or mechanically inclined. I didn't take any of the shop classes in high school which I'm now regretting and I have no mechanics in the family. Where && how can I learn how to work on cars/trucks? I have no garage space or tools, which doesn't help either.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:12 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

It might be nice to know just where you are.

How old are you and what kind of work have you done.

I was lucky myself and had older friends that were motor heads.

Then when I was a few years older Had a few older mentors that taught me quite a bit.

Then quite a lot of schooling .

Find some one to help you learn.

Read and learn about the internal combustion engine

If you were close to me I would be glad to help where I could.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How much money do you have?

If you plan on working on your own vehicles, you will definitely need tools. That would be the first place to start. Sears and Lowes have decent sets of tools for shade-tree mechanics, and even have "Mechanics' Set" that will have most of the basics covered. Harbor Freight is a little less expensive, but you would have to piece the sets together.

Secondly would be a decent floor jack and 1-2 sets of jack stands. If you will have the wheel off, put a stand under it. Again Harbor Freight for these.

As far as know-how; SEARCH. READ. Then search some more and read some more. Find the FSM (Field Service Manual) for your vehicle or a year or two close to it. Pick up a Haynes or Chilton Manual. But above those, search. If you don't find what you need to know within the first 5 minutes...search again, change the wording. Odds are on your side that most everything you will need to know has been covered at some point in time, and there is a thread for it. You will just have to do the research. I have searched for several hours looking for just the right info.

When you reach the point that you feel you need to start a thread for your issue, include what your are working on in the first post. Post it in the proper section so the right group of people see it. There are a lot of knowledgable people here, but the guys with the '79-'80 model trucks might not know a whole lot about a 2003 Tacoma, and vise versa. Add as much detail as you can, and pictures are always a welcomed site here.

It's not all easy, but that's part of the fun.