Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Suspension Questions (1993 Toyota 4Runner)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension Questions (1993 Toyota 4Runner)

Hey guys, it's been quite a while since I've been here. But I'm back with a few more questions.

So I've done a few mods in the meantime:

1) Changed out my marker and front signal lights with some clear ones; I love the change, looks much cleaner and the new bulbs look fantastic.

2) Replaced the rear shocks; I do notice a change and am planning to carry forward with more suspension changes.

So I have 2 questions:

1) My first one is if replacing my coil springs and the front shocks (already replaced the rear ones) would make a dramatic change with the vehicle's drive quality. I'm sick of the constant bumping that I get in this car that I don't get with other modern cars that I drive. Given, this car is 19 years old, but I still drive it and would like a much smoother ride.

and,

2) If I did end up changing out the front shocks and coil springs, would I need to get custom coil springs if my truck was lifted? The previous owner did a lot of off-roading and lifted the vehicle so that the undercarriage wouldn't take that much of a beating. I'm curious if this would affect the coil springs I'd need to buy.

Thanks in advance guys.

P.S. I'm planning to buy OEM springs and shocks if I do end up purchasing them. If you guys think the OEM springs and shocks won't get the job done, please say so.

Last edited by KnightFiyah; 06-19-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well what kind of lift did he put on? u might have to go with a different coils then the stock ones as to lift the rear u need to use larger coils, some have put land crusier coils in for a 3in lift. i would change the shocks and then look at the bushings.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:55 PM

I'm not actually sure what kind of lift he put on. I didn't actually know there were different types besides varying degrees of height to be quite honest.

Yeah I'm planning on doing the front shocks next. I've never been told to look at the bushings. I googled 'car bushings' online and got a vague idea as to what those are..but do you think you could go into a bit more detail for me as to what would actually need replacing?

I've only ever been told to look at the shocks, coils, and struts for bumpy ride quality problems.

P.S. So just to clarify you don't think I should change out the coils?

Last edited by KnightFiyah; 06-19-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:04 PM

what im meaning is like the control arm bushing, shock and sway bar bushing, they wear out over time and make the ride rougher.. also sometimes lifting them will make the ride more bounce as the suspension doesn't give due to heavier springs being used. below is a set of bushing im talking about.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/18-206-4Runn...b44674&vxp=mtr
Old 06-19-2012, 11:30 PM

Hmm, I see.. so this doesn't sound like the kind of replacement I could do on my own.

On the note of sway bar bushing, I don't have a sway bar installed, but do you think it would help my turning at all? Your 4runner on your profile seems almost identical to mine...do you think a sway bar would fit under the hood?

Last edited by KnightFiyah; 06-19-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You dont have coil springs in the front. You have torsion bars....

Post a picture of the front suspension so we can see what kind of lift you have.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:46 AM

the 4runner came stock with sway bars, front and rear, (or at least mine did) so if u dont have them then the person who put the lift on took them off and didnt get the parts to keep it, sway bars will help with the rolling feeling in turns, i took mine off just for more movement out of my front when wheeling. im stock on my suspension and have a 2 in body lift. just enough to get the finders from rubbing tires. it is more like u need shocks and then sway bars put back on and then u might like it again, look on craigslist and maybe on here for sway bars if u are wanting them, when u put then on get new rubbers for the parts that go to the lower control arms if they are worn thats where i find the most worn out part.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:03 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
You should start here and read
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...tickys-242840/

:wabbit2:
Old 06-20-2012, 03:15 PM

You dont have coil springs in the front. You have torsion bars....

Post a picture of the front suspension so we can see what kind of lift you have.
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...e8/photo-7.jpg
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...8/photo1-1.jpg
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...8/photo2-1.jpg

Hopefully these photos are sufficient. To be honest, I really didn't know where I should've been looking to take photos for the front suspension, so if you need better photos just tell me where to point and shoot and I'll be happy to oblige.

the 4runner came stock with sway bars, front and rear, (or at least mine did) so if u dont have them then the person who put the lift on took them off and didnt get the parts to keep it, sway bars will help with the rolling feeling in turns, i took mine off just for more movement out of my front when wheeling. im stock on my suspension and have a 2 in body lift. just enough to get the finders from rubbing tires. it is more like u need shocks and then sway bars put back on and then u might like it again, look on craigslist and maybe on here for sway bars if u are wanting them, when u put then on get new rubbers for the parts that go to the lower control arms if they are worn thats where i find the most worn out part.
I must be confusing the sway bars with another part I've seen strapped across the engine under the hood of many cars...

Anyways yeah, I do notice huge body roll when cornering or taking turns in general, so if the sway bars aren't installed already I'll definitely look into them. Yeah I'm all in for doing the front shocks as well now.

Just trying to get this suspension turned into something much smoother than a god damn earthquake everytime I hit a bump, so thanks again guys. Any help is welcome.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:38 PM

ok i see u have front sway bar, first pic, bar from frame to lower control arm. and it doesnt look like u have a lift, what size tires u have on ur truck? i would read the links and then look at ur rig. check out all the rubber bushings and the ball joins and tie rod ends to see if u have any that are loose or no good.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:54 PM

Hmm, you learn something new every day...

Alright so check the rubber bushings, ball joints, and tie rod ends. Gonna be replacing the front shocks this week as well. Thanks for all the help guys.