Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Sound from engine, normal or is something not right here?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sound from engine, normal or is something not right here?

Hello people of the Yota world. I am new here with a recently acquired '86 pickup with a 22R engine, with a Weber 32/36 installed. I am in the process of learning everything I can with lots of reading and research. I however have come to a point where I think some advice from you would assist me. A couple of days ago I took off the rocker arm cover, replaced the gaskets(sealed them), and adjusted the valve clearance so that Intake= .008 and Exhaust= .012

Today I started it up to see how things have gone and had to adjust the carb a few times to get it tuned the way. Everything seems fine and it runs well and I may have fixed an engine oil leak that was coming down above the transmission bell housing, which I thought would end up being the rear main seal.

My question. When the truck is running and I am bringing up the rpm, It sounds a bit....loud, not necessarily a metal pinging anywhere, just like a loud engine. I have included a video with sound. Maybe you can tell me what direction I need to go here. Or is perhaps my engine making a reasonably normal sound?

Thank you for reading this long bit, and I'm sorry if my ignorance bleeds through this post somehow. Like I said, I am new to Yotas, and the Tech.

VIDEO of engine sound.

Thanks so much again.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by atoliver
Hello people of the Yota world. I am new here with a recently acquired '86 pickup with a 22R engine, with a Weber 32/36 installed. I am in the process of learning everything I can with lots of reading and research. I however have come to a point where I think some advice from you would assist me. A couple of days ago I took off the rocker arm cover, replaced the gaskets(sealed them), and adjusted the valve clearance so that Intake= .008 and Exhaust= .012

Today I started it up to see how things have gone and had to adjust the carb a few times to get it tuned the way. Everything seems fine and it runs well and I may have fixed an engine oil leak that was coming down above the transmission bell housing, which I thought would end up being the rear main seal.

My question. When the truck is running and I am bringing up the rpm, It sounds a bit....loud, not necessarily a metal pinging anywhere, just like a loud engine. I have included a video with sound. Maybe you can tell me what direction I need to go here. Or is perhaps my engine making a reasonably normal sound?

Thank you for reading this long bit, and I'm sorry if my ignorance bleeds through this post somehow. Like I said, I am new to Yotas, and the Tech.

VIDEO of engine sound.
MOV 0150 - YouTube

Thanks so much again.
Sounds like rocker arm and or timing chain slap, pull the valve cover off and check the chain guides