Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

shifting without clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shifting without clutch

Is it bad for the tranny to shift without the clutch? (I do it sometimes-I know what speeds I can put in which gears without any hesitation/ grinding, they slide right in, & I often pop it out of gear while decelerating without getting any hesitation/ grinding)
Old 10-06-2009, 02:26 PM

OK, not OK`

If you mesh the grears correctly, i.e. match the speeds, shifting without the cluch should be fine. I have done that many times with various vehicles.

However, poping it out of gear when the gears are under load, i.e. while accelerating or decelerating is very bad. You could wear down or even knock teeth off the synchro rings.

jrohland
Old 10-06-2009, 02:29 PM

i do it all the time. if you do it at the right time you will be fine. if its at the right time it will go right in. if you are coming up to a stop, and you put it in neutral without the clutch, and it pops then it is hard on the tranny. either do it at the right time or push in the clutch
Old 10-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
not if you know how to do it

upshift look at the tach before you pull into next gear and let the rpm drop 500 rpm as you pull it into the next gear

downshift same thing look at the tach before you pull it out of gear and raise the rpm 500 rpm as you are shifting into the next gear up

If you do it a lot and get the feel for it you will never need the tack again you will know it by feel and sound and it will be just like second nature I shift mine like that all the time comes from many years of shifting 18 gears all day and night long.

Last edited by olharleyman; 10-06-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:40 PM

Thanks guys!
Old 10-06-2009, 03:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do that all the time too. If you're doing it right, it's actually better for the transmission.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by olharleyman
If you do it a lot and get the feel for it you will never need the tack again you will know it by feel and sound and it will be just like second nature I shift mine like that all the time comes from many years of shifting 18 gears all day and night long.
Are you by any chance a truck driver? My dad is and he does just that, shifting up and down without the clutch, perfectly synchronized.The only time he uses it is in takeoffs.

I myself am pretty good at it too, considering my age. He lets me drive his 13speed Kenworth every now and then.

Last edited by streetlancer; 10-14-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:21 PM

Its not worth the chance of hurting your clutch
someone had to say it
Old 10-19-2009, 12:49 AM

Lazy,I use my clutch as the truck is designed to be used.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by 22RUCRAZY
Its not worth the chance of hurting your clutch
someone had to say it
I am sitting here trying to figure out how this would hurt the cluch. The transmission yes, but I can't see how not using the cluch would damage the cluch.

jrohland
Old 10-19-2009, 03:30 AM
Contributing Member

If you do it right, it's better for most components of the vehicle.

I've perfected it in almost all of my cars.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:55 PM

Perfected being lazy maybe,and its a clutch not cluch
Old 10-21-2009, 12:31 AM

I think it is a good thing for anyone to know how to shift without a clutch, it can (and has) saved a tow bill driving home after a run of different clutch problems (slave cylinder, then master cylinder, hoses, and to top it off the pilot bearing all at different times).
When I am driving easy, I usually go with out the clutch after I get started. When I am late, or merging to the busy freeway, I clutch as the RPM's don't have to match as close.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:26 AM

I too do this all the time, well sometimes and then sometimes i use the clutch it just depends on how I feel that day I guess. And if you think about it, it doesn't hurt the clutch @ all, it actually saves the clutch bc its engaged all the time and that translates into less slip even when moving ( in reality it still has to slip no matter how minute it maybe, but it does every time you push the clutch in and release it, even if you are in N.)
If you aren't very good @ shifting w/o the clutch it can cause the damage to the synchros in the tranny and possibly the gear itself but other than that I must concur that it in general is easier persay on the driveline in general and like someone stated earlier if you have a problem such as a blown line, bad slave, ect you can make it back home you just have to pull it in nuetral when stopping then kill the truck and put it in gear and start the truck when you have the opportunity to take off, been there and done that, its a life saver!... My dad was a truck driver and you guessed it thats where it learned it when I was about 8yrs old and for the record its much easier in a diesel FSOR.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Gnarly4X
Unbelievable...!!??

Shifting a manual transmission without using the clutch is utterly stupid. Why would you do it, unless it's a situation where you've lost your abililty to use your clutch pedal and you need to drive the vehicle to safe place.

You can ask ANY transmission shop and they will tell you that it is VERY hard on the gears, synchros, forks, and rods!!!! That's if you are lucky enough NOT to break something. Shifting without using the clutch is about as intelligent as draining the gear oil in your transmission, then taking your vehicle for test drive for about 10 minutes! while you sniff for burnt oil! Sorry, I just don't comprehend it??

I guess I should stay OUT of the Newbie "Tech" Section!!

That's just my worthless opinion.

gNARLS.
Arrogant and Ignorant huh? thats the dumbest rebutal to any post i have ever seen esecially on here! Fisrt I have been running mobile1 full synthetic 80-90 gear oil in the tranny of my supra for the past 5 years and when I check it it looks just as clean as the day it came out of the bottle! And 2nd ask any truck driver (and i mean REAL truck driver) how often they use the clutch..... answer: only to take off. Seems like they dont screw many things up in 300-400k miles, I know I used to work @ a semi shop... And if you knew how to read, you would see that I already said that IF YOU DONT KNOW HOW TO ACTUALLY DRIVE A STICK YOU WILL TEAR THINGS UP.........My advice for you is to stay with an automatic bc it sounds like your just angry that you can't do such "black magic". My girlfriend could drive a stick better than you.....Maybe even my little sis.(she is 8yrs old)

Last edited by fulk112; 10-21-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:49 PM

So at first its bad for your truck and then after you get good at shifting without cutch its not bad
Old 10-21-2009, 07:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Gnarly4X
Unbelievable...!!??

Shifting a manual transmission without using the clutch is utterly stupid. Why would you do it, unless it's a situation where you've lost your abililty to use your clutch pedal and you need to drive the vehicle to safe place.

You can ask ANY transmission shop and they will tell you that it is VERY hard on the gears, synchros, forks, and rods!!!! That's if you are lucky enough NOT to break something. Shifting without using the clutch is about as intelligent as draining the gear oil in your transmission, then taking your vehicle for test drive for about 10 minutes! while you sniff for burnt oil! Sorry, I just don't comprehend it??

I guess I should stay OUT of the Newbie "Tech" Section!!

That's just my worthless opinion.

gNARLS.

This is the most ignorant post I've ever read on here.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:51 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
don't like seeing three pedals down there get an auto.

don't see the point of not using the left pedal unless you are an amputee. this comes from 27 years of driving cars from v-dubs to tandem axle trucks with a 2 speed rear end.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, I seriously doubt it would hurt the tranny doing it very once in a while. It shifts very smooth without the clutch if you do it just right. I've only mastered 3rd to 4th gears during somewhat normal driving, but I've got 1st to 2nd at slow speeds pretty smooth. I don't think it would hurt anything unless you did it all the time, or forced it into gear.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:35 AM

I pretty much always use the clutch in my toyotas, unless im just feelin too lazy to push the clutch in... In my dads blazer i would do it sometimes, as long as you don't pop it out hard or grind i don't see what damage it could do. I happen to know that many truckers only use the clutch for takeoffs in first gear.

Last edited by g_cali; 10-22-2009 at 12:37 AM.