Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

roof racks options

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
roof racks options

i searched around didnt seem to find what i want. i was just looking online at roof racks. there is a yakima one that intrests me, it secures to the stock rack. it says it is rated for 100lbs. is this type of rack what most of you are using. or have you went 1 step farther and removed the stock one to put a better rack which can hold more weight. im not sure i would need more than 100lbs on a rack but im just curious what people are running.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:22 PM
Contributing Member

i think Ric & calrockx are running yakima load warriors(?). those are the ones that attach to the OEM racks i believe. others have put on Surco/Confer racks that are more robust, and mount into the oem rails, replacing the cross bars themselves. They're a bit heavier..and not as streamlined...but you can pretty much fill em up with alot of gear. 100lbs isnt that much, but it all depends on what you want to put up there...
Old 01-09-2007, 07:32 PM
Contributing Member

I found this one after seeing it on someone heres rig. Looks good and low profile. I will be getting one soon.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...o-20/ref=nosim

I had a Load Warrior and was shocked at how bad it effected my mpg. I lost 3 mpg on the hwy. It just sat up too high and without the expensive extension it is pretty small. So I sold it so another YTer here. He seems to like it a lot.

On my last trip since I took my wife and 2 yr old along for an over night camping trip I bought one of these bags from Big 5 Sporting Goods for $26 and it did pretty well actually.

Last edited by ecchamberlin; 01-09-2007 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:38 PM

if you do decide to get a yakima or thule rack look for somthing used first, they are way overpriced new and siince they are made of aluminum and plastic its not like it will look old
Old 01-09-2007, 07:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
you searched??!?! theres quite a bit of info on yakima and thule racks.

fyi: you should not be asking yourself "is 100lbs too much weight" but rather, "what am i going to put on it?"
you'd know that if you read some threads
Old 01-09-2007, 08:11 PM

I find it funny that the dollar amount that these racks add up to is squabbled about. There is so much engineering done with both Thule and Yakima racks that they are brainless installs and will provide years of service. $250 gets you a great roof rack. 100 lbs load limit is just to cover their butt. Think about how expensive tires are, $250 is cheap.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:31 PM

I searched used for 2 months....you get the wrong landing pads or piece to connect the rack then you get to order that, well the fairing is wider than the 4runner so order that later...wait...then hope you still feel like installing the system because the football ball game is on...

buy new I got the whole setup..towers, pads, loadbars, fairing all happy and new, check prices on ebay there must be a demand the way Yakima stuff is bid up..

I am the king of used buys...... if it makes since.

Opt 1. get lucky find a deal on craigslist----. $75 wait approx 3-5 months

Opt. 2. Buy used off ebay------------------ $185 plus shipping(some people sell cheap then do the $80 shipping thing, stay alert)

Opt. 3. Buy new when 10% off w free shipping-$262

Of course you might prove me wrong, I never tried the classified ads in Spain or Iran.

D
Old 01-10-2007, 03:02 AM

sorry bob_98sr5 if i dont feel like searching for hrs for a info on a rack. i just didnt find what i wanted to hear. besides ive seen people ask way worse questions go bother them and not me. im also still kinda a newb at forums so cut me some slack.

Last edited by 20005spd; 01-10-2007 at 03:05 AM.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:50 AM
lee
Contributing Member

i had a surco rack... to be honest i wouldnt go that route, or any rack for my needs. throwing a tire on your roof sucks for several reasons... mpg's, wind noise, sucks to get it down and throw it up there, etc.

i had a lot of problems with creaks and stuff too, here and there it would make a weird rubbing noise and after a while i got so tired of it that i gave it away in exchange for work on my rear bumper ;D

make sure its what you need before you go ahead and get a noisy, mpg killer that will preclude you from entering parking lots.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:35 AM

ya thats some good info, maybe i should just try to hold out for a rear bumper that has a spare tire carrier. i just figured that the tire being underneath the truck sucks if u havta change it in the woods, and rear bumpers w/ spare tire carriers are $$$$$$, but i would deff like one. i like the one fom irbis.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:19 AM
Contributing Member

I was in a similar situation a few years ago in finding a suitable low profile roof rack. I eventually went with a Garvin Wilderness Rack. The rack mounts slide into your stock roof rack rails.

They're not cheap, well new ones aren't, but they're stout and sit low close to the roof. I got mine from 4x4 Connection and have been quite happy with it. You can see from these pics that it does have a low profile:

Last edited by Roadrunner; 01-10-2007 at 06:22 AM.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:17 PM
Contributing Member

Search the wrecking yards, I picked up a yakima basket case for $25. I was not quick enough though, the guy would have sold me both the cross bars and 4 towers for the same price, but I didn't need them so I bailed.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:02 PM

Go with a surco rack, it fairly inexpensibe compared to yakima and thule racks. Holds a crap load of stuff too. I pack mine full of gear when i go camping, really comes in handy. But Lee is right, definately cuts ur MPG, I noticed of significant drop in mine, but I leave in on all the time so.....
Old 02-09-2007, 06:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Roadrunner
I was in a similar situation a few years ago in finding a suitable low profile roof rack. I eventually went with a Garvin Wilderness Rack. The rack mounts slide into your stock roof rack rails.

They're not cheap, well new ones aren't, but they're stout and sit low close to the roof. I got mine from 4x4 Connection and have been quite happy with it. You can see from these pics that it does have a low profile:

That is exactly what I need, I was very happy to see those pics too. Would you happen to have the part number - I am so worried that I will order the wrong one.

Thanks a ton,

Chris
Old 02-09-2007, 06:41 PM

yep i found my surco 45"x50" rack on craiglist.. good place to find stuff cheap . plus it already had lights on it. yess oh it cost me 75 bucks

Last edited by KUMAdrift; 02-09-2007 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:44 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks Kuma,

I was checking the surco website, and for my 1998 4Runner it suggests a 50 x 60 rack - does that sound correct.

My truck has the rails on top that run lengthwise with the truck but nothing else. Will I need an adapter? Ideally looking for a unit that comes with a slide in mount so I do not have to try and buy mounts seperately.

Thanks for any help everyone.

Last edited by CDUFF7; 02-09-2007 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:09 PM

I have a custom one, look at my profile thread. it is stout. got it off craifslist for 120 and added the lights
i have had 3 people on it and no issues. I also had it mounted to the stock cross bars and they held it, amazingly.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:02 AM
Contributing Member

Nice truck, I like the rack and those rock lights. I am looking for a low profile type rack - like the wilderness rack but maybe a little cheaper. I may bite the bullet and get the wilderness, waiting for email from 4x4connection.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:14 PM

really nice rack but the price ................ouch! hope it comes with lube
its is what i was looking for but for that price i could build 4 or 5 of them
Old 12-05-2007, 12:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ecchamberlin
I had a Load Warrior and was shocked at how bad it effected my mpg. I lost 3 mpg on the hwy. It just sat up too high and without the expensive extension it is pretty small. So I sold it so another YTer here. He seems to like it a lot.

On my last trip since I took my wife and 2 yr old along for an over night camping trip I bought one of these bags from Big 5 Sporting Goods for $26 and it did pretty well actually.

What are the pros and cons of a bag vs a basket? I can think of a few, are there any I'm missing?
Basket
-holds gas/water cans
-shovel mounts
-light mounts
-can take a hit

Bag
-cheaper
-more aerodynamic?

Sorry to bring an old thread back from the dead, but I need some help deciding what to buy for my Big Bear trip next week. My girlfriend and I plan on sleepingin the 4runner, but when you fold the back seats down there is almost zero cargo space. I'm planning on putting a sleeping platform back there some time, I just haven't had the time for it yet. I just bolted up a roof rack from a Nissan Pathfinder to the roof of my first gen 4runner and was planning on buying a coleman roof rack, but I saw a roof bag on sale at big5 for $20. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by strykersd; 12-05-2007 at 12:27 AM.

Quick Reply: roof racks options