Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Rear Wiper questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2024 | 02:31 PM

Rear Wiper questions

My '85 runner is finally getting dragged out and recommisioned! Mostly minor problems and my son and I are knocking them off together. One problem which has history is that the rear wiper for some reason doesn't 'park' properly anymore. Can someone walk me through the methods Toyota employed to 'park' this wiper before the window can be activated?
I'd like to know if it can be blamed on a component such as the 'power window relay' located behind the panel on the left side interior next to the inertia reel for front seat belt and if it is, how do I test it? (what else can it be)?

The position switch indicating the wiper is parked still works the mechanism just doesn't trigger it as it doesn't return to parked. I've found that if I disconnect the one wire from that switch then all other functions work I just have to get out and 'park' the wiper physically to avoid trapping the arm/blade in the window when winding up, not the end of the world but........... I'd like it to work properly to avoid invoking 'Murphy's law'.

I've poured through the forums and come across some pretty useful informative and well thought out stuff and of all the forums that deal with 4Runners and Toyota 4x4's this site takes the cake. I hope someone out there with the wealth of informtion I need can drop it into layman's terms and help us out, I can;t wait to get my son out on the road and trails on our good old girl from Texas lol.
Old 10-18-2024 | 04:53 PM
YT Community Team

what do mean by "properly"?
The reason i ask is mine tended to hang up just enough to interfere with the back window operation, meaning that if I rolled my window all the way up I'd crush the end of the blade.
I got a different blade assembly and now it works great. Both blade assemblies were Toyota, but the one that works is shorter.