Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Purchasing 1994 toyota 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Purchasing 1994 toyota 4x4

Hi I'm new here and maybe this isn't the right place to post this if not let me know and I'll make sure I do it right next time I just kinda need some quick advice I'm looking at a 1994 Toyota 4X4 with a 22re with 90 miles on it from gearheads the truck has 203K and is fairly straight has been rearended and has a rebuilt title but has had bed replaced and doesn't show damage the lowest he'lol take is $3,000 does that sound fair? Any input is greatly appreciated I've just had my share of bad vehicles and want to get a Toyota because their known to be tough I just wanna get some advice. Thanks.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:55 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Yes these are great trucks .

It is now 20 years old it is going to take work and money to catch up on all the neglected maintenance .

This could be due for some major suspension and brake work!!

Can you do this work yourself ?? The majority of it at least

Pictures of this truck would be a great help

Just how hard was it hit if the bed was replaced what does the back end of the frame look like??

Just what does 90 miles on from gearheads mean??

My personal feeling is you should steer clear of this truck being your so new to Toyota`s so much you might miss while overcome by the new truck lust.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Yes these are great trucks .

It is now 20 years old it is going to take work and money to catch up on all the neglected maintenance .

This could be due for some major suspension and brake work!!

Can you do this work yourself ?? The majority of it at least

Pictures of this truck would be a great help

Just how hard was it hit if the bed was replaced what does the back end of the frame look like??

Just what does 90 miles on from gearheads mean??

My personal feeling is you should steer clear of this truck being your so new to Toyota`s so much you might miss while overcome by the new truck lust.
o

I can do work myself if needed what I meant was it has a rebuilt engine with 90 miles on it from a company called gearheads it has a 3 year warranty and he has the paperwork
Old 12-23-2015, 11:36 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
I'm with Wyoming. You'd need a rundown of what other maintenance has been (or hasn't been) done. Depending on where you live, that's not a bad price. But like Wyoming mentioned, it's a 20 year old vehicle and if things haven't been kept up on, you can easily throw another $1000 in just parts at it, getting it up to snuff.

So some questions I'd have are:

Did he replace the clutch with the engine rebuild?
Why did he rebuild it then turn around and sell it immediately before it's even broken in?
Is the frame straight? Alignment good?
What's the condition of the brakes?

Check all the fluids, like clutch, brake and gear boxes. Are they all black, or do they look like someone has flushed or replaced them?

Mostly I'd want to know why you would rebuild an engine then turn around and sell the truck right away. I'd also google gear heads and try to find reviews from people who have had their engines rebuilt with them.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:07 PM

If you are not prepared to spend money to fix it after you have bought it, I would pass as you will need to replace somethings on it.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Janos01
If you are not prepared to spend money to fix it after you have bought it, I would pass as you will need to replace somethings on it.
Thanks everyone for the input I checked it out and it had a bad shake at higher speeds I passed am going to look for something else anyone know of someone selling one in the pacific northwest that clean and straight for $3,000 or less?
Old 12-23-2015, 02:18 PM

Craigslist.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
These trucks are hard to find, no doubt. The rear end collision would worry me the most. Any of these are going to need work, they are over 20 years old. But you need to be sure that there is no real damage to the rear end components that will cause continuous problems. Listen closely when you test drive for any unusual sounds or vibrations. There is always a risk, if after you test it out you have any doubts about what you hear/feel, I would pass. In the SE, these trucks that are in decent shape are bringing $4500 - $5500.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by elaketiger
These trucks are hard to find, no doubt. The rear end collision would worry me the most. Any of these are going to need work, they are over 20 years old. But you need to be sure that there is no real damage to the rear end components that will cause continuous problems. Listen closely when you test drive for any unusual sounds or vibrations. There is always a risk, if after you test it out you have any doubts about what you hear/feel, I would pass. In the SE, these trucks
that are in decent shape are bringing $4500 - $5500.
Okay thanks I passed on it it ended up having a pretty bad front end shake at speed. I'm now currently looking at a 1980 because I like the older body style and a straight axle it'd a 20r with a 4 speed. I went and drove it and it drove straight and ran fine the body is fairly straight but the interior has seen better days would $2400 be a fair number on a truck like that? These are pictures of it.

Last edited by Msukefo; 12-27-2015 at 08:05 AM.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like the trucks with the 20R, 22R, or any of the Tacomas. I'd stay away from the 3.0's. I'd also stay away from the automatic transmissions unless in a 3.4 Tacoma.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:22 AM

Mileage? What part of the country are you in? That's a decent price for that truck if it's in good shape mechanically. If you could hop in it and take it on a 400 mile round trip road trip, it's worth that price.

Just know that any truck that old is almost definitely going to need work. That's not to say don't buy it, I'm just making sure you know. I've always bought older vehicles. But I've learned over time that they are always a project. So just know that going in. Depending on where this truck is at in it's life, it could very well need things like a rebuilt engine or transmission in the near future.

Someone has done some work to it. Nice front bumper and winch, no grill...swapped in square headlights, new door panels, non-stock seats etc. Trucks this old have been messed with a LOT. Depending on who did the messing, it could be...well, a mess. If the person doing the work was competent, you should be good. But tracing down problems because of a bunch of Mickey Mouse repair jobs and modifications isn't fun...

But if you're up for some work and trouble shooting and project, this could be a really cool truck. I personally don't prefer the solid front axle, but I don't do hardcore rock crawling, which, other than a few less parts to wear down, is about the only benefit of a solid front axle. If it's just a daily driver that will see moderate offroad use, there's no point in a solid front axle. It just makes for a real stiff ride, less responsive steering. Either way those short bed first gen trucks ride like tanks. Real rough ride. But they're cool as hell, too.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by 83
Mileage? What part of the country are you in? That's a decent price for that truck if it's in good shape mechanically. If you could hop in it and take it on a 400 mile round trip road trip, it's worth that price.

Just know that any truck that old is almost definitely going to need work. That's not to say don't buy it, I'm just making sure you know. I've always bought older vehicles. But I've learned over time that they are always a project. So just know that going in. Depending on where this truck is at in it's life, it could very well need things like a rebuilt engine or transmission in the near future.

Someone has done some work to it. Nice front bumper and winch, no grill...swapped in square headlights, new door panels, non-stock seats etc. Trucks this old have been messed with a LOT. Depending on who did the messing, it could be...well, a mess. If the person doing the work was competent, you should be good. But tracing down problems because of a bunch of Mickey Mouse repair jobs and modifications isn't fun...

But if you're up for some work and trouble shooting and project, this could be a really cool truck. I personally don't prefer the solid front axle, but I don't do hardcore rock crawling, which, other than a few less parts to wear down, is about the only benefit of a solid front axle. If it's just a daily driver that will see moderate offroad use, there's no point in a solid front axle. It just makes for a real stiff ride, less responsive steering. Either way those short bed first gen trucks ride like tanks. Real rough ride. But they're cool as hell, too.
Thanks for all the input I purchased a truck today it's a 1982 with a 22r and 5 speed transmission.It sits on 35s with a 4 inch lift it drives straight and runs good so far I'm happy with it I paid $1,900.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:15 AM

Looks great! Know anything about it? Do the gears match the tires? Any rust hiding under that DIY paint job?

Have fun with it. The Pre-84 section of this forum is especially good, in my opinion, because the technology is still basic enough that practically anyone can do major work on these trucks.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by 83
Looks great! Know anything about it? Do the gears match the tires? Any rust hiding under that DIY paint job?

Have fun with it. The Pre-84 section of this forum is especially good, in my opinion, because the technology is still basic enough that practically anyone can do major work on these trucks.
The old bench seat is pretty worn out should these seats be pretty easy to put in?
http://m.ebay.com/itm/2-X-TYPE-R-FULLY-RECLINABLE-UPHOLSTERY-BUCKET-RACING-SEATS-SLIDERS-BLACK-STITCH-/201341152114?nav=SEARCH
Old 01-07-2016, 08:26 AM

I didn't check the link, but if they aren't specifically made for your year truck, then it just depends on how you define "easy". I mean seat swaps are definitely not difficult. But they are only in very rare circumstances "bolt in" replacements.

Typically you'll either need to drill new holes in your floorboard, weld brackets, or somehow fabricate some brackets or something. If you search this site or the internet in general, you'll find a TON of seat swap posts and different things people have done.

Just what part of "clear-cut country USA" are you in? Those are some bare hillsides...
Old 01-07-2016, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by 83
I didn't check the link, but if they aren't specifically made for your year truck, then it just depends on how you define "easy". I mean seat swaps are definitely not difficult. But they are only in very rare circumstances "bolt in" replacements.

Typically you'll either need to drill new holes in your floorboard, weld brackets, or somehow fabricate some brackets or something. If you search this site or the internet in general, you'll find a TON of seat swap posts and different things people have done.

Just what part of "clear-cut country USA" are you in? Those are some bare hillsides...
Thanks I think I'm going to try the seats out of a 1994 metro I have sitting around. I'm from Centralia, WA.