Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Overdrive Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overdrive Light

I just bought my first yota, a 87 runner 22re with automatic.

Overdrive works, but seems like it doesn't turn off. The overdrive word lights up when lights are on, the other bulb never lights up regardless of button position. I swapped bulbs, they are both good. Cant find that bulb size, but obviously I don't need it anyway.

I am still learning... even though I have been rebuilding 22re motors for over 5 years.. with great success $$

I checked tranny fluid, it is normal hot when running, and smells fine, looks fine etc.

Truck drives decent, but sometimes stays in 3rd at the light? Doesn't like to stay in 2nd very long, I find my self using the power button for the ECT on even the smallest inclines.

To read codes, don't I need the overdrive light to work properly??

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:23 PM

K well I guess ill drain the fluid, replace filter for tranny, see if that helps.

I found a rebuilt auto with transfer case for $150 locally.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:44 AM

Bought a rebuilt tranny for $150 with torque conv and flexplate. Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated!.... ill seek a different forum for now on.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:29 PM

Have you checked the cable that connects the transmission with the throttle valve? This controls kick-down and also can affect shift points. If yours is too loose, the transmission thinks you're driving like a little old lady, barely depressing the accelerator. Otherwise, I don't have any brilliant suggestions. I hope this helps.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:31 PM

@murcielago yea that helped, at least helped me understand how the system works. However my cable is tight, not to tight but enough that slack is not a problem.

MY CEL is on and throws codes for knock sensor and TPS. I assume TPS is out of adjustment or not working properly, but haven't had the confidence to mess with it just yet.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:50 PM

Still cant get my overdrive to turn off. Pushing the button doesn't do anything. Checked connections at tranny electrical wise and all is solid. I did tighten the kick down cable at the throttle body. Still shifting hard.

I have an auto out of a turbo runner, not sure if it is A340F or
A340H or what lol, but I plan on swapping that in place soon.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:04 PM
RSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any my 3vze the the o/d light comes on when I push the button to turn o/d off. Are you sure you have 4th gear? With the light, it suggests that switch might have failed and needs replaced. (I think some folks like to drive turning that off and on all the time on highways and whatnot for a downshift power boost, which that switch doesn't appear to be designed to be used for, so it fails -- believe it was just intended to be used for towing).
Old 01-17-2014, 08:08 AM

Thanks for your response RSR. Ya the switch failing had crossed my mind. I just haven't had time or desire to tear it apart any further. I went to do a valve adjustment today and the camshaft has 1/4" groves in every single lobe...it is FUBAR. Probably because the previous owner didn't take time to remove the old bits of timing chain guides from the oil pan when installing a new timing set. More often than not I see these things come into my shop having been "Fixed" and low an behold the pickup tube is completely clogged with timing chain debri...do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:14 PM
RSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bummer on the cam.

Spot on on the do it right part!

Yes, I definitely think some people use that as a downshift toggle repeatedly in one trip when it was only really intended for towing purposes to ensure you don't burn up your tranny -- these tranny pumps are mechanically/RPM driven, not electronically controlled on these so you need to ensure adequate fluid flow to keep from burning it up, why that switch is there.

It is a handy downshift, but you really should use your shifter and just move it down on the fly (I just put the peddle to the floor except on hills when I'll downshift for mechanical braking assist, but rarely drive steep hills requiring, so might want to investigate how the downshift on the fly affects reliability before running if you live in a mountain region)...