Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Lots Of Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 05:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was you at one time, with little $$ and an 85 PU. So I taught myself how to weld, and with crappy HF tools (pipe bender, notcher, and welder) made my first bumpers and sliders. I took up some crappy welding jobs, getting more and more experience, eventually building cages, race trucks and now here. Remember tools and knowledge can be used over and over. When you want a mod research it out, find out what is all needed so you don't have a half torn down truck on Sunday evening needing a part to drive Monday. Don't waste your money on crap, you can't offord it. If you want it to be able to wheel a bit, put $$ into parts that actually work (not flares). I'd suggest protection first, because as you get the thing built later you'll be pissed at the rocker or corner dent that is the only flaw now (which could have been prevented). Plus your learning, you’re going to get stuck and your going to hit something sometime.

What I'd suggest after building my wife's (Shrockworks 4runner) for mild (my mild) wheeling/camping. Cruise the for sale sections of all the toy forums. With the protection, you can either save and get something you want new or go with a deal on someone off loading a bumper or other part. Get good at bartering at junk yards (or on the net, now). Get yourself some Tundra front springs, FJ 80 rears. Rent a spring compressor, check out some install write ups and do it yourself (probably with help, no matter how good you may be). There's your cheap lift.

With the tires, check out the JK Rubicon 32" BFG mud terrains. Tons of those guys are upgrading to larger tires off the lot. I got a set of 5 with 600mi for trade, but if you look around you can find some deals. You'll have to get some 17" wheels...so with that you'd have to choose what's important to you, $$$ bling or some 17" summit soft 8 steel wheels for about $60 something (free shipping).

Grow with the vehicle, learning how to drive its capabilities and limitations....eventually you'll be better for it. And look into some clubs around you. There are alot of good wheelers and fabricators around you that will probably help you out after you become friends..

Nick

Last edited by ToyFamily; 03-19-2008 at 05:54 AM.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm still waiting for pictures of the hot aunt....