Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Lots Of Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Lots Of Questions!

Hey,

Soo Im a NOOBIE to Toyota's. Im 16 and my First truck was a 85 Ford Bronco. It was a 8mpg BEAST. But now Im steppin up to a 1997 4Runner SR5! Its way nice, I bought it from my Uncle for only $3000! Hellova deal!

As I mentioned, Im 16 and NOT A LOT OF MONEY IN MY WALLET! I work at a Restaurant as a dishwasher/caterer/chef. I kno, its a weird combo haha. I generally get like 10$ an Hour. Which for 16, ain't bad.

I want to do SOO much to this thing. Which im sure all of you know the feeling of haha.

First off, after my lil bibliography haha, I need a front bumper and possibly a rear bumper.. The Marlin Crawlers look pretty good. But I cant find any for my 3rd Gen?? Does anybody have any suggestions about good bumpers?

I also need some rock sliders. I think that the ones off of Wabfab are pretty sic, with the hoops on the end. But what dimensions would I need?? 60"? I just need the basic thing, Im not gonna be a rockkrawler. Just a step above nerf bars.

After that I wanna do my Exhaust, I was thinking a Borla Exhaust?? I hear that its pretty sexy. Just the Single Side Cat Back. Its like 500$. But does that seem like a good one??

I also want a custom lift, i know its gonna wank to do. But hopefully in the end its worth it huh?? I read on Sonoran Steel that a 1.2 System (2.5" Suspension Lift) and a 1.5" RB Body lift would work to fit 35's?? Really? I figured like at least a 2.5" body lift and some trimmin on my Fenderwells.
Does anybody have suggestions for my SUspension setup?? I need to keep it affordable but still a good setup. I know that Spacers for the coilovers SUCK! So I want the Suspension, but how far would I need to go with a body lift? And how much trimming??

What all would I need to do after I get the tires and lift?? Im entirely, NOT SURE lol.

I kno its long, its like a book. well, chapter 1... Done...

Help?
Old 02-29-2008, 11:31 PM

Sooo, ANY SUGGESTIONS WELCOME??!!
Anything I missed??

Plz dont be an a$$hole at my ignorance. Im young and not sure.

Thanks
Old 02-29-2008, 11:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
gee give people time to wake up and give u a answer its only been like 5 mins
Old 02-29-2008, 11:39 PM

lol I was just adding that one there.
Im dont know how to edit what was already up there.
sry im new!
Old 02-29-2008, 11:41 PM
Contributing Member

its kool also i wanna see a pic of your 4runner 3k is a good deal but what kind of shape is it in
Old 03-01-2008, 08:05 AM

Welcome, for your front bumper you have a very limited amount of options and even fewer for the rear bumper. For the front you can go TYM, ARB, Irbis, and Shrockworks. FOr the rear bumper Irbis makes one but I think all the other companies will build and install one but you have to take your rig to ther shop. As for your lift the ss 7.1 lift kit is good and if you are running front and rear bumpers you might want to look into 1.2 lift kit. For your exhaust you can get a cat back Jardine Borla and TRD make those systmes but you could always just get a muffeler welded into place. TO fit 35's you will need at least a 1.5 body lift with triming. For a cheaper suspension go to Toy Tec and them get the Panhard bar seperate from ss.

Hope this helps
Old 03-01-2008, 08:14 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Leave it stock. Besides, if you're like me, all your money is going to go into the stereo anyways.

You're 16, it's just gonna get wrecked and you'll have something else in a couple years, save the money to spend on a car you're gonna have a while.

Better to spend the money on gas and dates than mods.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:01 AM

Do you have access to a welder? You could build a bumper.
Trail Gear sells a pretty cheap set of sliders. You just have to cut the legs to length. http://www.trail-gear.com/rocksliders.html
Old 03-01-2008, 10:23 AM

Yah its in good condition. The only problem is the front bumper is a lil messed up. In the second picture my Hot aunts cleanin it for me haha. And NO were not blood related. lol. the third pic shows the bumper problem. and theres 3 small chips on my paint on the hood.

its in awesome condition. it has a lot of miles. 1785XX on it. but i guess i just have to change the timing belt in a lil bit. And my Dad is a construction worker, and he just built a Toyota Dealership. So the owner said they would change it for like 200$ for me. Nice. And noo im not gonna wreck it, Im not plannin on it. These things are too slow and im an ok driver.

Yah searchin around for bumpers, most everything is handmade. It sucks. Nah i dont want to dump my money into the stereo. my uncle put a new system in it like a year ago. and i dont care. as long as it plays music im okay with it. He put 900$ into it.

Last edited by Hallz97SR5; 03-01-2008 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
178k miles? that things still a baby...and its NOT slow... try driving a 88 pickup with a 22re with 257,000 miles on it... talk about slow.. hee, great buy. i know about old american gas guzzlers though... i had a 66 chevy with a 350 and it got near 8 a gallon.. on the freeway... again, welcome to the family. time to go out and fix my electrical system
Old 03-01-2008, 11:12 AM

yah, its definitely slower than my Bronco. I wasted some people on that thing. I was surprised it went that fast haha.
Ya everyones tellin me that omg it has 180K! dont get it! Ya right, its a toyota. THey go like 300K lol
Old 03-01-2008, 11:15 AM

Another Question...

So if I had the 1.2 Sonoran Lift System and like a 2" Body Lift. Basically like 5" lift. How much fender trimming would I need to fit 35's on it??
Old 03-01-2008, 11:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
35s need gears.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dont NEED gears, but you'll be very miserable without them. remmeber for everything you do theres a positive reaction(bigger tires and better looks and better capability) and a negative reaction (slower, less power, less gas mileage, etc). keep that in mind with every mod.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:06 PM
Contributing Member

Well, I second TC's post. However, seems you're set on modding it.

Good luck finding a front bumper for that beast on a budget. If you've got a buddy with a welder, build a tube one.

Rear bumper is going to be even worse. Haven't seen very many for under 800. They're out there, but rare.

Best bet is to surf forums, ebay, and craigslist, and buy something used.

Get the sliders from WabFab. Just call them, and they can tell you what length you need.

As for 35's, that isn't going to happen on a budget.

On your truck, the MINIMUM you need, assuming you don't regear, would be shaved upper a-arms from Sonoran Steel, the lift you described, the body lift, and probably some fender pounding/trimming.

I believe both camburg and Total Chaos make upper a-arms that will fit your needs. Its all pricey. I'd set aside at least 2 grand to get it done, including tires.

Keep in mind that without regearing, you'll be slow as balls, and you'll put a lot of added wear on all of your drivetrain. Tranny failure is a real possibility.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:01 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AxleIke
Well, I second TC's post. However, seems you're set on modding it.
He's 16 ... so of course he is, and I knew it was a breath wasted when I posted it.

Let's see ... $10/hr x 40 hrs/week = $400/week gross, what $200/wk takehome?

$800/month takehome - $200/month gas - $100/month insurance - $200/month "walkin' round money" = $300/month for truck

So that's 2 months for a front bumper, 1.5 month for sliders, 2, maybe 3 months for a rear bumper, and if anything goes wrong with the truck in that time (or it gets wrecked and you have to pay a deductible) you're back to square one.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:13 PM

Man you got luckey, I had to work my way up the toyota chain to get what I got.

1990 4runner (sold)
1995 4runner (wrecked)
1988 pickup (still have)
1998 4runner limited (still have)

Geeze.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:24 PM

So the rig is an auto. How will that ride with 35's and not regearing? I would add gears for sure. I can't believe there is a newbie that used the search button, that never happens. Thank you so much
Old 03-01-2008, 10:38 PM

Thanks for all of the replies lol!

I actually make a lot more than that. My weekly checks during the winter are about 175 take home a week. and in the summer/spring/fall i make about 500 or 400 a week. Becuz i work hella hours and i get a lot of tips. so really, right now im just gonna focus on like the interior and stuff.

but in the summer i can really save up and hopefully install the lift and tires and stuff during winter. so yah i have thought ahead. no need to kill my dreams dude. Im gonna buy everything, double check and then install it with my Dad. and get it all aligned. I figure if I save up from like March to September I will roughly make about 4-5K. Which i believe, is more than 2K right? lol, i think ill have enough money. I will do the lift/tires/gears all at once. becuz i defintely need it to be dependable and i dont wanna screw it up becuz i didnt wait another month for the right stuff. Do it right the first time. No need to pay for everything twice.

Yah its an auto. I talked to a few dudes that had the same thing. A 97 SR5 4Runner. Exact same. And they said it rides good, but make sure and do everything right the first time! And there gas mileage was at like 17mpg stock and went to roughly 13mpg after a lift and 35's. but one of them didnt regear (dumb move i guess lol) and gets 10mpg. I would rather invest the 500$ or so to make it get better mileage and run efficiently.

Lol ya i used the search button for like a week before I even joined the Yotatech thing. Im glad your proud hahhaa

And hey, some of you, no need to try and shoot it down. damb. Everyone wants a cool vehicle when their young. the fact that i got this sexy beast for 3K that is in hella good condition, just makes me wanna make it better. Im not concerned about resale value that much. Becuz i plan on giving it to my lil bro when i go to college. Cuz then i need somethin that gets better than 12mpg haha

What should I do for gears?
Old 03-01-2008, 11:32 PM
Contributing Member

5.29s. And you do need the a-arms too.

Quick Reply: Lots Of Questions!