Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Identify a Radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 04:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Identify a Radiator?

Is there a way to decode radiator serial numbers or otherwise identify factory toyota radiators?

I'm trying to figure out which radiator is stock to my '85 2.4L SR5 pickup w A/C. This is the radiator that's in it currently. The one that's in it now has a serial number starting in '422190' but all of the parts numbers for OEM radiators I've found begin with '16400' and have different outlets and tank shapes than this model. How can I find what is stock to my model?

Old 02-01-2020, 06:15 PM

Received 575 Likes on 453 Posts

I believe those numbers are Nippondenso's production codes as they don't follow Toyota's five numbers then a dash, then five more numbers format.

I am not aware of a way to decode these production codes, since they are not Toyota part numbers.

Try entering your VIN into Toyodiy's Parts Catalog Lookup and select your vehicles options, then click on Engine/ Fuel. Then find Radiator & Water Outlet. The radiator part number that should go with your truck should be listed.

The following users liked this post:
squeege (02-01-2020)
Old 02-01-2020, 09:34 PM

Received 647 Likes on 522 Posts
I used to live in Yuma, Az., and hated every minute of it. I hated it for 30 years, then, thank goodness, moved to Oregon. ANYwho...
Yuma being the "slightly warm" (ahem...) place it is, I went to a radiator shop shortly after I bought each of mine (see my sig) and got a 3 core radiator for each. Worked beautifully, even on the 125° days. Even with the AC on.
A few years after I got up here to Southern Oregon, which is just a bit cooler than Yuma (ahem...), the 4Runner blew the upper tank off the radiator. I replaced it with a plastic (blech ) tank radiator, 2 core like the OEM are, and it's worked fine ever since. Say about 3-4 years so far.

Whole point is, you don't NEED the OEM radiator. They're excellent quality, no question, and do the job wonderfully. But you can go to a competent radiator shop, and they can get you a "suitable sub" that will probably work just as well, and last just as long. The metal tank radiators are getting harder to find, BTW.

Have you tried Rock Auto? I'm pretty sure they carry an OEM radiator for your truck. Worth a look, anyway.

Good luck to you no matter what. Make sure you flush the system thoroughly, and burp it properly. Makes a big difference. Same with the thermostat. May as well replace the current one. Get one of the two stage thermostats for you truck. There is a small problem Toyotas have where, because of the system design, the temperature can rise quite high before the thermostat opens. The two stage ones (which ARE OEM) prevent this.

Pat☺
Old 02-29-2020, 03:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2ToyGuy
I used to live in Yuma, Az., and hated every minute of it. I hated it for 30 years, then, thank goodness, moved to Oregon. ANYwho...
Yuma being the "slightly warm" (ahem...) place it is, I went to a radiator shop shortly after I bought each of mine (see my sig) and got a 3 core radiator for each. Worked beautifully, even on the 125° days. Even with the AC on.
A few years after I got up here to Southern Oregon, which is just a bit cooler than Yuma (ahem...), the 4Runner blew the upper tank off the radiator. I replaced it with a plastic (blech ) tank radiator, 2 core like the OEM are, and it's worked fine ever since. Say about 3-4 years so far.

Whole point is, you don't NEED the OEM radiator. They're excellent quality, no question, and do the job wonderfully. But you can go to a competent radiator shop, and they can get you a "suitable sub" that will probably work just as well, and last just as long. The metal tank radiators are getting harder to find, BTW.

Have you tried Rock Auto? I'm pretty sure they carry an OEM radiator for your truck. Worth a look, anyway.

Good luck to you no matter what. Make sure you flush the system thoroughly, and burp it properly. Makes a big difference. Same with the thermostat. May as well replace the current one. Get one of the two stage thermostats for you truck. There is a small problem Toyotas have where, because of the system design, the temperature can rise quite high before the thermostat opens. The two stage ones (which ARE OEM) prevent this.

Pat☺
Haha I'm doing just about the opposite as you, Washington to New Mexico. Only going down for about a year but I want to get the best out of this cooling system to handle the environment there. I'll replace the leaking bypass hose and water pump first and see, since the radiator's just missing fins, but if I do end up replacing it I'll at least want brass tanks so I'm looking at CSF and OEM for just a bit more.
Old 03-01-2020, 12:10 PM

Received 647 Likes on 522 Posts
If you can, get a 3 core radiator, with brass tanks. Best possible combo for the desert. I put a 3 core in both my pickup and 4Runner, and they worked great. At least until the 4Runner's blew the top tank off. The pickup's is still fine, although it's getting less and less effective over time. Remarkable how that works
I need to flush the pickup's system. My project for this summer.

Good luck to ya!
Pat☺