Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Gearing swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just had a nice long conversation with the guy at Addicted Offroad. Great guy, and provided me with a lot of info, but not such a great price.

He quoted me $1940 to get the whole thing done. That's ALL the work, parts, etc. He told me that $700 of that labor is just the removal and re-installation of the third members. $200 for the rear, and $500 for the front. He said the front is so much because of how it's slammed into place, and because it's a clamshell design, and because you have to separate the CV from the 3rd member, or something like that. Does that sound right?

$786+tax for parts, and $1100 total for labor. It's the highest quote I've had yet.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:13 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Yeah, I guess that is right. It's got high-pinion gears, in that funky "clamshell" housing. By the sounds of it, it's kinda buried behind a few things too.

Late-model 7.5" diff

'95-03 Tacoma, '00-04 Tundra, ?? Sequoia's, and 96-02 4Runners have a high-pinion 7.5" IFS front diff offset to the drivers side. The high-pinion design is used so that the rack and pinion steering and anti-sway bar on these vehicles can run under the front driveshaft. The housing is a unique bolt-together design. The carrier inside is exactly the same as the '86-95 IFS diffs, so LSD's and lockers for it are also the same. However, since this is a high-pinion diff, the gears for it are different (reverse-cut) than the earlier diff. There is an ADD and non-ADD version of this diff as well.
These diffs use different gear sets than the earlier IFS diff because of the high-pinion design.
- Driver's side
- High pinion
- 27 spline axles
- Bolt-together "clamshell" housing design.

Looks like what he means is you need a press to remove the carrier and install a new ring gear. Maybe not, I can't say for sure what the hell I'm looking at there.

Last edited by MudHippy; 11-15-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:48 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Fast. Cheap. Right. Pick two. Pay top dollar for all three.

I will never remove another front IFS diff except with a as they are a major PITA.

:wabbit2:
Old 11-15-2010, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by ricky
Just had a nice long conversation with the guy at Addicted Offroad. Great guy, and provided me with a lot of info, but not such a great price.

He quoted me $1940 to get the whole thing done. That's ALL the work, parts, etc. He told me that $700 of that labor is just the removal and re-installation of the third members. $200 for the rear, and $500 for the front. He said the front is so much because of how it's slammed into place, and because it's a clamshell design, and because you have to separate the CV from the 3rd member, or something like that. Does that sound right?

$786+tax for parts, and $1100 total for labor. It's the highest quote I've had yet.

Ricky, the price reflects the work involved.

Plus I will warranty the gears, install, etc for a full year.

Unfortunately, the front IFS is a royal PITA like we discussed. You need to pull the lower spindle bolts and move the lower a-arms out of the way just to pull the CVs. You will have to pry them out of the 3rd member. Then you get the added bonus of trying to squeeze the 3rd around the oil pan. That includes pulling the driveshaft flange off the 3rd while in the vehicle as well as #1 removing the whole steering rack, or #2 working two 17mm bolts 1/16 of turn for an hour to get them out. Then, it might come out. Then reassemble everything the same way.

Pulling the clamshell 3rd and reinstalling it is an easy 6 hour job. The rear in comparison is a 2.5hr job. The re-gear itself on the front is around 3 hours since you need to put it together and pull it apart usually around 6-7 times to get everything setup to spec. Time on the rear 3rd is around 1-2 hours in comparison.

Its by far, the one gear job I despise the most. Which is why I said that it may be worth your effort to pull it yourself. I think at that point you would understand exactly why we charge the price we do on them. Believe me, I don't want to pull it either, so I would LOVE it if you would walk the 3rds in.

Also keep in mind that we specialize in Toyotas. I understand how little margin for error there is in doing Toyota gears, and with well over 150 3rd setup, I have had ZERO failures. FWIW, I Seriously doubt that the other shops will warranty for a full year on both parts and labor. I am that confident in my setups.

Scotty

Last edited by ScottyC; 11-15-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i love the interweb
Old 11-15-2010, 08:01 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I didn't necessarily mean getting back to stock mileage, but closer to stock gear ratios. I guess I didn't think to factor in the changes from a lift, drag, additional weight, etc. Might we worth having the 4.88 gears. Good info.

Also depends on who you're targeting with what statement, and what the majority of truck owners on this or any other Toyota board have.

And that also depends on horsepower.

Remember, up to 95, 4 cyls had ~ 96 to 115hp. And V6's had 150hp.

After 95, 4cyls had V6 (horse)power (so to speak) and the new and improved 3.4 grew a bigger pair.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by ScottyC
Ricky, the price reflects the work involved.

Plus I will warranty the gears, install, etc for a full year.

Unfortunately, the front IFS is a royal PITA like we discussed. You need to pull the lower spindle bolts and move the lower a-arms out of the way just to pull the CVs. You will have to pry them out of the 3rd member. Then you get the added bonus of trying to squeeze the 3rd around the oil pan. That includes pulling the driveshaft flange off the 3rd while in the vehicle as well as #1 removing the whole steering rack, or #2 working two 17mm bolts 1/16 of turn for an hour to get them out. Then, it might come out. Then reassemble everything the same way.

Pulling the clamshell 3rd and reinstalling it is an easy 6 hour job. The rear in comparison is a 2.5hr job. The re-gear itself on the front is around 3 hours since you need to put it together and pull it apart usually around 6-7 times to get everything setup to spec. Time on the rear 3rd is around 1-2 hours in comparison.

Its by far, the one gear job I despise the most. Which is why I said that it may be worth your effort to pull it yourself. I think at that point you would understand exactly why we charge the price we do on them. Believe me, I don't want to pull it either, so I would LOVE it if you would walk the 3rds in.

Also keep in mind that we specialize in Toyotas. I understand how little margin for error there is in doing Toyota gears, and with well over 150 3rd setup, I have had ZERO failures. FWIW, I Seriously doubt that the other shops will warranty for a full year on both parts and labor. I am that confident in my setups.

Scotty
Yeah man, after we got off the phone, I got under the truck to take a closer look, and wow. After looking at the front 3rd, I think I have the same attitude as you. I want YOU to do it, lol!

There's zero doubt in my mind, that you know exactly what's up with this toyota! That knowledge alone is invaluable. I just am not prepared to drop $2k right now.... I have a truck that has lasted me reliably for 230k miles, and I'd like it to continue that way, so a large part of me very seriously considers the extra money being worth it.

Now to decide....
Old 12-13-2010, 04:49 PM

Just got this done the other day, and it makes a huge difference. Got the speedo drive gear for 4.10 gears from Toyota and swapped it out tonight. Still runs a bit high but the bigger tires will help even it out.

Glad I did the swap. Now I'm ready for a lift!
Old 12-13-2010, 05:08 PM

Just got this done the other day, and it makes a huge difference. Got the speedo drive gear for 4.10 gears from Toyota and swapped it out tonight. Still runs a bit high but the bigger tires will help even it out.

Glad I did the swap. Now I'm ready for a lift!
It was good meeting you Ricky. That little truck of yours hauls ass now!
Old 12-14-2010, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by ScottyC
It was good meeting you Ricky. That little truck of yours hauls ass now!
Thanks for the great work. I bled/flushed the entire brake system, and not only did it fix the pedal issue, but it feels like I have an entire new brake system. Amazing what new brake fluid can do.

I'm headed to toytec right now to pick up my lift! After much debate, I decided to go with the bilstein suspension front and rear, with the toytec/eibach springs up front, and new procomp 3"-5" leaf springs in the rear. Diff drop kit and new upper bushings for the front shocks. Total cost before tax (with the leaf springs) is $750. Plus, then I won't have to deal with any adjustments of coilovers, but I still get the quality and lifetime warranty of the bilsteins. I plan on covering them up front with some coilover covers I'm making out of cordura (waterproof) to keep the shock shafts from being damaged/pitted.

New wheels and tires are next!