Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Failed Ca Smog

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Failed Ca Smog

I need some help here.

I have a 94 Pickup with a 22re that just failed smog. I just recently (less than 2 months) put on new cap, rotor, wires, and plugs. Ever sense I have had the truck it's seemed to have a slight miss at idle. But never able to track it down.

Today I went to smog it and it failed. Here is what I failed on.

15 MPH:
HC (PPM): Max - 95, Measured - 102
NO (PPM): Max - 552, Measured - 738

I have a rough idea as what would cause this, but could someone shed some light on this? I have two days to get this fixed.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:47 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Make sure the timming is set properly, also check your valves and make sure there set right, also pull off the EGR and make sure all the passages are clean and that it opens and closes properly. Check all of the vacuum lines and replace any that are bad. There is also a write up over on the marlin crawler forums in the engine/drivetrain section that will also help you pass smog.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:14 PM

well, i just failed and retested and passed on the 2nd go round.

so all my #s were good at first except for the NO...i was high on the 15mph and 25over on the 25mph.

HC and everything else was decent so i didn't suspect a cat problem, had to be an o2 sensor, which sure enough, allowed me to pass however my HC and CO% went up. i gathered this was the case b/c the old o2 sensor was making the car run super lean and the gas wasn't getting through to the cat. fastforward to the readings after the test that i past and the HC and CO% went up thus making me think that i have a bad cat. you very well, may have a bad cat seeing as how all of your numbers are bad. try a friends and see how that works out. good luck man. smog sucks.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:58 PM

when was the last time your cat converter was changed?
Old 12-11-2009, 02:08 PM

With those numbers, I'd go buy a bottle of Guarantee To Pass from AutoZone, follow the instructions on the bottle, then drive your truck for at least 30 minutes to get the cat and engine warm and go test. Did this on mine and I passed the second time around.

Edit: Also go over your vacuum lines as well, including the line from the brake booster.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Banned

Factorys are dumping tons of crap into the ozone and ocean and the EPA is worried about a 22re...can anyone say F.O.C.U.S! i have a smog license and they said in the class, automobiles are the smallest percentage contributor to ozone depletion. now their looking at cat-converters on lawn mowers. get a freaking grip! WOW i sound really jaded, sorry boys and girls im stepping off the soap box.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:11 PM

back when i used to live in california the inspector would just spray a hole can od carb clean in the engine while he was running the test so it would pass.. worked every time

just had pay for smog test and can of carb/choke cleaner..
Old 12-11-2009, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by interested2meet
Factorys are dumping tons of crap into the ozone and ocean and the EPA is worried about a 22re...can anyone say F.O.C.U.S! i have a smog license and they said in the class, automobiles are the smallest percentage contributor to ozone depletion. now their looking at cat-converters on lawn mowers. get a freaking grip! WOW i sound really jaded, sorry boys and girls im stepping off the soap box.
i agree...i'm all for the environment and regulation, but sometimes ya just gotta say 'damn, that's too far'
Old 12-11-2009, 03:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dont buy the garunteed to pass it is way too spendy. go get your truck real warm and wait till you are near empty and put in one can of heet for a buck and like 5 gallons, i have never had anything not pass like this, the alcohol will reduce your HC's and NO's and the inspector will be none the wiser, and if they do ask say you got some water in the tank and used the heet to fix it,
I have passed many cars this way even many cars that burned oil that should have been way over were way below with a little heet.

cheap and easy....
Old 12-11-2009, 04:23 PM

hmmm i had never heard of heet, so i figured i'd look into it instead of asking...interesting idea. does it just boost the crap outta the octane to keep it from freezing w/ excess condensation in the tank or what? interesting...and it ALWAYS works eh? hmmm, cool.

here is a link about it... http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/heet/faq.aspx
Old 12-11-2009, 04:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
as i was told by my dad, a diesel mechanic of 40 years it is mainly all ethyl alcohol which will actually absorb the moisture and still burn cleanly.

he said it works for emmissions because you are displacing some of the gas you would be burning with the much cleaner burning alcohol which also burns hotter helping the gas burn cleaner also. this is the main ingredient in most of your injector cleaners and pass emission bottles with alot less cost buying it as heet.

He had all sort of tricks up his sleeve, like using atf to remove carbon deposits on valves in non cat vehicles and brake fluid to clean cats out and remove carbon. crazy stuff that actually works but people are hesitant to try.

go look at ingredients onthere cleaners you use daily they are listed by major components first, you can usually get that single ingredient alot cheaper than buying the fancy little do all bottle.....lots to be learned from our elders...remember that kids...

only disclaimer for the heet trick is it does make your truck run hotter so if you use too much you can fry stuff or if your truck is at danger of overheating also beware, try at your own best judgement and watch the temp guage!!!

edit: after reading there website i learned the red bottle uses isopropyl alcohol and the yellow uses methanol, not ethanol as previously stated, that was my brain fart.

Last edited by ryantowry_81; 12-11-2009 at 04:42 PM.