Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Diff lock question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diff lock question...

I am thinking about getting into a Land Cruiser (93-97) and dont really know too much about the differences in diff locks. On the LCs, is it "better" to get one with the "front/rear diff lock" switch, or one that has the "center diff lock" button??? Thanks for any help.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:17 AM

I would get the front/rear diff lock, I know both of those differentials are very nice.
I am not sure what the center diff lock is, I would guess it is some all wheel drive junk.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"front/rear" lock would be for the front and rear axle differentials. Since all '90-'97 LCs were full-time AWD, they had a center differential to differentiate slippage between front and rear axles so the t-case wouldnt bind. I believe all LCs between those years came with the center diff lock, with or with-out the f/r locker option. Locking the center differential just locks the center differential (who woulda thought? ) so the power is split evenly between front and rear axles and doesnt go to the one with least resistance if one were slipping.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want AWD and 4WD in the same truck, get one w/ a center diff lock. Once you're in 4WD:
When the center diff is locked it's just normal 4WD.
When it's unlocked it allows slippage and it's AWD.
Personally, I don't really care about having AWD. When you get stuck, you'll be using 4WD anyways. AWD can be nice for patchy snow/ice or wet roads though.

If you want maximum traction, get one with at least a rear diff lock. This makes it so both tires on the axle must turn at the same speed when the diff is locked. Normally (unlocked) if one tire is on pavement and the other is in snow/ice, the power will go totally to the spinning tire. With a diff lock, the other tire (the one that has traction) will be forced to move too and it makes a huge difference, especially if you have front and rear lockers.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:32 PM
Rix

I'm 99% sure the only difference is one has the switch and the other doesn't.
IIRC the wiring and connector are there, all you have to do is put the stupid switch in.
If you're going to wheel it, you want the center diff lock option.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rix
If you're going to wheel it, you want the center diff lock option.
When you're wheeling it doesn't matter if you have a center diff lock. On dirt or snow, the tires slip on their own due to the surface of the road or trail, so the transfer case doesn't need to allow for that kind of slippage. It's on wet/slick/patchy roads that AWD is handy. AWD is in-between 2WD and 4WD. It has more traction than 2WD, but not as much as 4WD and it allows you to take corners w/o binding up the transfer case (when all of the tires DO have traction).

If you're gonna be wheeling, the front and rear locker combo is what will make all the difference in the world when you're trying to climb a nasty hill, or avoiding getting stuck in the snow.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:07 AM
Rix

Originally Posted by brian2sun
When you're wheeling it doesn't matter if you have a center diff lock. On dirt or snow, the tires slip on their own due to the surface of the road or trail, so the transfer case doesn't need to allow for that kind of slippage. It's on wet/slick/patchy roads that AWD is handy. AWD is in-between 2WD and 4WD. It has more traction than 2WD, but not as much as 4WD and it allows you to take corners w/o binding up the transfer case (when all of the tires DO have traction).

If you're gonna be wheeling, the front and rear locker combo is what will make all the difference in the world when you're trying to climb a nasty hill, or avoiding getting stuck in the snow.
It's an open diff when it's not locked.
Which means if your rear wheels are locked, and start spinning in mud or whatever.... you sit there spinning.

If it's going to be wheeled, you want the center doff locked.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:56 PM

Hmmm... so who is right?
Old 12-06-2009, 05:04 PM

Rix is under the impression that if you get a normal 4WD, you won't be able to lock the center diff. It is the opposite - you won't be able to UNLOCK the center diff. Therefore it is not "open" - ever.

An AWD with the center diff locked is exactly the same as regular 'ol 4WD - you don't have more of an advantage over a normal 4WD whatsoever because an AWD becomes 4WD at the point when you lock the center diff.

If you want more of an advantage then get front and rear lockers. You won't find any rock crawlers running out to get center diff lockers because they don't care about AWD (and have no use for it off road), but EVERY one of them have front and/or rear lockers. Trust me - I have a rear locker, I know exactly why I bought it, and I'm no noob to 4wheelin.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:31 PM
Rix

Originally Posted by brian2sun
An AWD with the center diff locked is exactly the same as regular 'ol 4WD - you don't have more of an advantage over a normal 4WD whatsoever because an AWD becomes 4WD at the point when you lock the center diff.

Exactly!
Did something get lost in translation somewhere?
AFAIK all the ones that were AWD HAD a center diff lock... but I've seen some weird stuff from toyota, and previous owners of rigs have been to do all kind of strange things.
I know of at least one that came with the AWD t-case and no center diff lock switch.
I never have kept up on all the options and variables, but I do know that with the t-case unlocked, you can get stuck on a patch of ice and a pothole

Last edited by Rix; 12-06-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:53 PM

I wasn't even thinking about the LCs that ONLY have AWD. I assumed that the OP was just talking about 4WDs and "multi-mode" 4WDs. And yes you're absolutely right, an AWD only vehicle, will not do as well as a 4WD (of any kind) off road.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:21 PM

Gotcha, thanks guys. Brian2Sun, I appreciate the info and clarifications.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:22 PM

If you get a LC with front and rear lockers, you'll go almost anywhere. I personally like 4runners better (I know I'm biased) but it's because they're skinnier and where I live there's a lot of jeep trails that aren't very wide. But LCs are still awesome 4x4s. Good luck.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:20 AM

Yeah, I really like the 4Runners too, but I like the LC's because they are a little larger. I figured I could have one for my family mobile, and still be able to wheel some.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:20 AM

I have a 97 LC so let me add a bit of info for you. All 91 through 97 Land Cruisers have locking center differentials. The earlier models came from the factory with a switch to lock the center differential and the later models did not. Not to worry, on the later models the center diff automatically locks when you shift the transfer case into low range (and the "diff lock" indicator will illuminate in the instrument cluster).

You can add the center diff lock switch to the models which did not come from the factory with the switch. This switch allows you to lock the center diff in high range and, if you make one wiring modification, will also allow you to keep the center diff unlocked in low range (if you so desire).

There was no factory option for locking axle differentials on the 91 and 92 models. This option became available in 93 and only about 7% of the LCs imported into the US have this option. As others have said, it is a very desirable option. The switch is located to the left of the steering column and is a three positon switch (Off - RR - FR-RR) which allows you to lock just the rear (RR) or the front and the rear (FR-RR). There is no possibility to lock just the front without wiring modifications.

Hope this info helps. Btw, a great website for LC info is Ih8mud.com.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:52 AM

I'm having this same discussion with a buddy who drives a Discovery. He keeps telling me he's 'locked' because he has a CDL, I keep trying to tell him he only has 4wd when the CDL's engaged. Oh well. He also tells me to look into LSD's everytime I bring up the Aussie locker......
Old 12-07-2009, 08:00 AM
Rix

LSD is better than open, but when you lift a tire.... No bueno.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:03 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Cannon88
Yeah, I really like the 4Runners too, but I like the LC's because they are a little larger. I figured I could have one for my family mobile, and still be able to wheel some.
Without a doubt find a landcruiser with front and rear lockers, it will be four times as capable as the same landcruiser without F/R lockers.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:04 AM

This is what you should look for. Then get under the truck and look at the diffs. You'll see a box on the passenger side of each diff if they're really locked.

Without modification, the front and rear factory lockers will not lock in 4hi (AWD as some have been calling it).
Old 12-21-2009, 10:14 AM

OK, this is the thread I have been looking for. car is a 2000 land cruiser. AWD with center locking diff. Question 1: Can I lock the center differential at any speed in 4wd high range? If I'm on the highway, for instance, and it starts to snow - can I just hit the button and lock it? Question 2: what is the upper RPM range in 4wd LOW? I don't generally use low range, unless towing the boat off a ramp. I ask the question because I sometimes get into deep snow in the mountains, and I want to know when to get OUT of 4wd low. Question 3: isn't 4wd low the same as having locking front and rear diff? If not, what's the purpose of having a low range anyway?

Sorry if this does not make total sense - I'm trying to figure it all out.

Quick Reply: Diff lock question...