Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Anyone have 1st Gen Tacoma that doesn't have frame issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016 | 04:36 PM

Thumbs up Anyone have 1st Gen Tacoma that doesn't have frame issues?

Putting myself back in the newb category since I've been on a hiatus from Toyota for so long. Were any of the first gen frames properly made or are they all garbage and even those in the dry southwest states are prolonging the inevitable?

I recently had to downsize and bought a 2002 double cab with 77k miles. The truck is in exemplary condition and was originally sold and spent its entire life here in North Dakota which, while being a frigid upper Midwest state was not included in the frame service campaign, and is not even close to the same type of rust monster as Minnesota or Michigan etc.

I knew somewhat of the frame issues and I had the truck up on a lift before I bought it. Frame has some minor as I would call it, surface rust, still plenty of the original black paint is left. Rapped on it with a hammer around the front spring hangars and all along the frame. Seemed solid. The truck was never included in the campaign, I looked it up.

So what do I do? Bought it, and proceeded to fill my mind with horror stories after probing Google a bit. That was a mistake, I had some idea, I didn't know it was so wide spread. Now I've worked myself into a fervor. I gather folks that had theirs inspected under the campaign were caught off guard, one year the frame was smooth and solid and once it starts going it's only a of a couple years and it went from good to junk in a hurry.

Yes caveat emptor, I deserve that. However, how many have had NO issues with their frame? Did Dana get any of the frames right and some good ones slipped through? Or are all 1st gens destined for early dates with the scrap heap. Appreciate it.

Last edited by MattR; 03-16-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-16-2016 | 06:51 PM

I think it mainly has to do with your location. Western truck frames are not as bad, unless you are coastal. I saw a 96 at the junk yard that had no rust at all on the frame. Although I don't know if it was a replacement.
Old 03-16-2016 | 07:36 PM
ZUK

My 01 Taco doesn't seem to rust even when I do some welding/plating and don't bother to even paint it. Good ole sunny AZ

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f152...tacoma-283930/
Old 03-17-2016 | 05:38 AM

yeah you could eat off the underbody of Zuk's truck. So clean.
Old 03-17-2016 | 10:06 AM

Red face

I think it all depends how much winter Chemicals it sees my 2000 here in Pa was perfect when I bought two Winters later.

It needed some attention As long as I am able to have a Drivers License I will keep fixing it.

If it gets to bad I will make one.

I inquired to Toyota about buying a new frame I was told not till all the Warranty claims are finished.
Old 03-17-2016 | 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
I think it all depends how much winter Chemicals it sees my 2000 here in Pa was perfect when I bought two Winters later.

It needed some attention As long as I am able to have a Drivers License I will keep fixing it.

If it gets to bad I will make one.

I inquired to Toyota about buying a new frame I was told not till all the Warranty claims are finished.
Thanks for the reply. What attention did you need to give to bring it up to your satisfaction? That's interesting about purchasing a frame, just since searching the web on this topic I came across a few online OEM parts retailers that had entire frames available to order. I realize most of those places are larger dealers with an online presence and most likely the frame would be a special order type of item but you could indeed add it your "cart" and place the order. For the princely sum of $4,500.

I do value your sentiment though in using all available means to keep the last of what I consider the "compact" or "mini" trucks on the road. The 3rd gen and even 2nd are wonderful trucks in their own right but in my opinion are the furthest from the small compacts of late 70's and 80's.
Old 03-17-2016 | 11:57 PM

Red face

This has always been a problem just this time it is even worse.

From all the openings in the frame all the wet slop that gets in there and blocks the drain holes then this mix is stuck inside .

Most often the worse spots are where the frame is arched with the slop ending up at the spring hangers

I needed to get something done quick to get the truck inspected. Fully intending to do the job correct when time permitted .

I just spliced in new steel leaving a drain hole at least a 1/2"

I ordered two new spring hangers rather then messing with the old ones knowing what a pain it is to get the bolts out making it a major project replacing Spring Bushings

It has not gotten any worse so it is still fine with my temp patch job
Old 03-18-2016 | 12:02 PM
Contributing Member

My 2002 Tacoma has zero frame issues and has been on the Gulf Coast the whole time.
Old 03-23-2016 | 05:12 AM

My 98 has some surface rust but is solid. In some way, "delaying the inevitable" is what we're doing with all our vehicles (and ourselves ).
Old 03-26-2016 | 02:29 PM

Red face

I just looked at a friends 2002 Tacoma it is a shame

Not really a truck person sort of just neglected things

I think I can save the frame he is not sure if he wants to.