Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

94 Runner 3.0 auto stumbles after slow down

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 Runner 3.0 auto stumbles after slow down

Hey everyone, I just got my wife a 94 4Runner 3.0 auto.
it will be doing fine going down hyway but if we slow down thentry to speed back up it starts stumbling. All ign components look good. Where shoul I look 1st? any help is appreciated
Old 08-21-2013, 10:08 PM
RSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like an unmetered air issue. Any cracks in your air intake hoses and/or vacuum hoses?

Also, cleaned your throttle lately?

Or could also potentially be an emissions component issue too.

All this assuming that your fuel and ignition are okay...
Old 08-22-2013, 03:37 PM

not sure what it means but I put ethanol free gas in it today and its running great now, for now any way
Old 08-23-2013, 12:20 AM
RSR

Ethanol is a one of my many nemisises...

Are you talking about E85 vs standard gasoline?

In short, ethanol is a solvent. Even with standard gasoline, ethanol likes to separate from the gasoline, and it's hard to keep the ethanol percent consistent throughout an entire tank (at the station, not yours). Ethanol also likes to absorb water, which is another issue in and of itself.

The primary problem with our rigs is that ethanol is a solvent. And that's a problem with both the internals and with dissolving our rubber hoses, gaskets, etc, in our fuel lines not made for ethanol (even with current vehicles, European and Asian automakers say using the E15 the EPA/environuts/grain farmers want to mandate/shove down our throats instead of the current mandated E10 will void vehicle warranties. The E85 is 8.5 times the amount of ethanol that automakers say is w/in warranty. If your rig isn't "flex fuel", don't run E85...

With E85 if never run before, it has a tendency to dissolve all of the varnish and other crud in your fuel lines and deposit it in and clog up your fuel filter and injectors. Also, our trucks weren't manufactured to run solvent through our fuel lines, so running E85 will send bit of fuel line and other rubber/plastic components down your fuel line to engine until those parts ultimately fail with a fuel leak... If you're having issues after E85, that's your answer. Run a good fuel injector cleaner like redline to try and clean those out. Change out your fuel filter. And plan to change out all your soft fuel lines soon as well (dropping your fuel tank, cleaning it out, and replacing your fuel pump shouldn't be too far down your to do list either -- even without ethanol, our fuel pumps are at their end of life as is the fuel pump pre-filter).
Old 08-23-2013, 09:52 AM

wow. I thought I hated it before. no more e anything in my rigs! thank you
Old 08-23-2013, 07:09 PM
RSR

You bet. And though it's cheaper than regular gasoline, we're subsidizing ethanol through our taxes/gov't spending (a lot of that is being borrowed to pay back later) to the tune of actually costing us/us actually paying 1.5 times to 2 times whatever the pump price is...

And we're also paying for all of this ethanol fuel in a lot of other ways that are as easily accounted for, like more expensive non-grain crops and much more expensive meat prices (fields that used to grow other crops get diverted to more profitable corn raising those prices/and high demand for corn that used to be one of the cheapest crops and go to animal feed is now expensive and still used for animal feed but the price increase has led to much less of it going for such despite so much more being grown as farmers are breeding fewer animals due to increase feed prices eroding what little profit there was in raising livestock, also increasing prices due to increased meat scarcity beyond just the cost increase in lb per meat produced...). And that's why animal feces are now being fed to other animals as feed in a lot of conventional farming etc -- trying to get all the nutritional value out feed before it's composted (cow crap to hogs, hog crap to chickens, chicken and other animal bone meal and carcass byproducts back into initial feed blends, etc). Pretty disgusting when you think about it (and I grew up as a farm kid in the farm belt in 4-H and all the rest so am pretty in touch w/ my Ag roots)...

Should also mention that ethanol burns hotter than gasoline too due to add'l oxygen atoms in the molecular structure -- heat being the last thing our engines need more of.

And lastly, that when accounting for the energy actually contained in a gallon of ethanol/E85 versus the energy contained in a gallon of standard gasoline w/ 10% ethanol, you get a heck of lot less energy. Standard gasoline 10% E blend (111,836 btus/gal) vs E85 blend (81,800 btus/gal) -- standard gasoline has 37% more energy than the E85/ E85 has only 73% of the energy of standard gas blend. However you want to look at it.

Last edited by RSR; 08-23-2013 at 07:36 PM.