Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

2002 4Runner modifications

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 4Runner modifications

My rig is a 2002 4Runner Sport Edition (3.4L V6, 2WD). I use it mainly for fishing, camping, mountain bike trips, but am going to trying some more serious adventures very soon (Northwest US, Canada, Yosemite).

I'm considering upgrading to OME 2" lift/suspension kit. Is this a good choice for moderate outdoor ventures or am I cool w/the stock gear for now? I don't wanna spend money if there's no significant benefit given my needs.

I'm thinking of adding a winch, but don't know if I'll need a bull bar first/also?

Also, I've got bug marks all over the hood that don't wash or wax out. I'm putting a hood cover/bug guard on it anyway but any suggestions on getting the bug scars out without a whole new paintjob? Annoying but hardly critical.

Lastly on the cosmetics, got a buncha rock "dings" in the windshield and wonder if I should have it rplcd or just live with it. And if I change out the windshield, dealer or just any qualified shop - does it matter?

I love this truck and can't wait to post some pics soon!

KB
Old 05-24-2007, 10:15 AM
Contributing Member

The OME kit is one of the best and simplest kits for the 4Runner.

I do think you'll need a real bumper fro the winch.

Give the hood a claybar treatment and it should remove more the "bugs".

Yes,replace the windshield if it's really bad. Any qualified shop can do the windshield but see if you can get PPG glass or another higher quality brand which will fend off cracks better.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:03 AM

2002 4Runner mods

Thx for the info. The claybar treatment looks interesting. I'll give it a try.

I'm a little concerned about whether or not I'm gonna need to deal with the fact that the 2WD has no front differential/transfer case. Is this gonna be a big deal for more serious (offroad) work?

I got my eye on a Ramsey 8.5 REP winch kit (8000# capacity). Good choice?

I've been looking for a (spring loaded) cargo cover but the dealer wants $600-800 for this stupid thing!!! Found a used one on Ebay but wary of that. Any idea where to get one (cheap-er) or other options to protect/hide my gear in the back of my truck (lockable storage box or other options)? I carry my bike, camping & fishing gear a lot and don't want somebody breaking my window and then having to replace that too.

The only other thing that needs immediate attention is my left rear brake light seems not to work intermittently. Sometimes it goes out, but if I bump it w/my fist it'll come back on. Electrical short? How hard or expensive to repair? If the labor to get it looked at is more than the part I may fix it myself if it's easy enough.

I should be pretty good to go after that...

KB
Old 05-24-2007, 11:07 AM
Contributing Member

if you have a lift and good tires along with a winch you will be able to go a lot of places. You might want to check into a locker for the rear.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:43 PM

2002 4Runner - pics

Here's my rig in it's current form...

I figure: OME lift, bullbar & winch, possibly some mudders and head off to parts unknown...

KB
Attached Thumbnails 2002 4Runner modifications-2002-4runner-sport-edition-1-.jpg   2002 4Runner modifications-2002-4runner-sport-edition-2-.jpg  
Old 05-24-2007, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by kbrizing
I've been looking for a (spring loaded) cargo cover but the dealer wants $600-800 for this stupid thing!!! Found a used one on Ebay but wary of that. Any idea where to get one (cheap-er) or other options to protect/hide my gear in the back of my truck (lockable storage box or other options)? I carry my bike, camping & fishing gear a lot and don't want somebody breaking my window and then having to replace that too.
KB
Welcome to Yotatech!
What colour is your interior? I may be able to help you out. My cover came off about 5 min. after I picked up the truck, so it's in good shape. It's oak btw.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:45 PM

Cargo Cover

Husky,

Black Exterior w/grey interior. How/why did the retractable unit come off your truck so fast? Do they work well or are they a pain in the butt? What kinda deal you wanna work for yours (or do you just wanna donate it to me outa the kindness of your heart?)...

(BTW: Checked out those lockbox postings, wow! That's a pretty permanent configuration, though, right? Might work though. Expensive to build?)

KB
Old 05-24-2007, 03:02 PM
Contributing Member

I have my grey cargo cover. I just didnt need it, I figured when I camped in the runner ,that it would take up space. I would well it to you for shipping plus maybe 15.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:08 PM

Cargo cover

Sounds good and just so happens I'm in the shipping business. How much do you think the unit weighs (gross total, packaged) so I can estimate cost to ship? Hopefully, I can move it via UPS and use my account at work. I'll clear w/my employer before making that move.

Any chance of an image post?

KB
Old 05-24-2007, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by kbrizing
Husky,

Black Exterior w/grey interior. How/why did the retractable unit come off your truck so fast? Do they work well or are they a pain in the butt? What kinda deal you wanna work for yours (or do you just wanna donate it to me outa the kindness of your heart?)...

(BTW: Checked out those lockbox postings, wow! That's a pretty permanent configuration, though, right? Might work though. Expensive to build?)

KB
I took the cover off after my dog walked on it. Well, right after I stopped laughing. The harder he tried to climb out, the quicker he slid back to the middle (40 lb husky puppy)

The cargo box is pretty permanent, but can be made less permanent by using SkyRat's original design (link in my profile) All told it cost about $200 CDN to build.

Last edited by HuskyRunner; 05-24-2007 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:01 PM

You still interested in getting rid of that cargo cover? I'm ready to move on it if you are. I can arrange shipping collect to me via UPS if that works. How to get you the $15?

KB
Old 06-18-2007, 11:47 AM

as far as the cover goes, just get a limo tint on your back windows. Not only can people not see through, it looks good too!

-then they can't see your bike and other "big" valuable stuff that the cover doesn't hide

Last edited by Roboito; 06-18-2007 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My rig is a 2002 4Runner Sport Edition (3.4L V6, 2WD). I use it mainly for fishing, camping, mountain bike trips, but am going to trying some more serious adventures very soon (Northwest US, Canada, Yosemite).

I'm considering upgrading to OME 2" lift/suspension kit. Is this a good choice for moderate outdoor ventures or am I cool w/the stock gear for now? I don't wanna spend money if there's no significant benefit given my needs.
For moderate wheeling 2' will be decent considering you may get more as the 02 are realllly low. what do you measure from ground to fender?
If you have the usualy stock 265/70/16 or 265/75/16 stock gearin is fine for sure

I'm thinking of adding a winch, but don't know if I'll need a bull bar first/also?
A winch willhelp a 2wd for sure. you can get receiver bars for the front that accepts a winch basket..check the Warn site
Also, I've got bug marks all over the hood that don't wash or wax out. I'm putting a hood cover/bug guard on it anyway but any suggestions on getting the bug scars out without a whole new paintjob? Annoying but hardly critical.
try claying
Lastly on the cosmetics, got a buncha rock "dings" in the windshield and wonder if I should have it rplcd or just live with it. And if I change out the windshield, dealer or just any qualified shop - does it matter?
how big are the dings? you usually can you get them filled/repaired depending on the actual size and if they have started to web out
I love this truck and can't wait to post some pics soon!