03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

fully submerged 07 4runner in freezing kodiak river, help

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fully submerged 07 4runner in freezing kodiak river, help

HELP....
We luckly had our friend behind us when the road gave out and my wife and I dropped into a river at night here in freezing Kodiak, Alaska. The 4runner was instantly in a fast flowing Freezing cold river with water up to the middle of the windshield. We got a window open and got out because as soon as I put it in reverse everything died in the truck. we got it pulled out within 15 min or so. but the water inside the truck was already above the dash and the river was flowing through the windows.
I know we got lucky to have someone there to help us, we were in a really bad spot being up to my neck in freezing water hooking the truck up. The artic survival training helped me at least recgonize how bad tis was for us. It was a bad night and a lot of huddling together to get our heat back.
So now nothing works, after the second day i connected the battery and all hell broke out, the truck started turning over with no key in, water in dash, all lights, locks etc were going on and off. I figured the ecu is toast and that is why the truck won't engage the starter??
any ideas, and hopefully the insurance will cover this.
I figure I will need:
all fluids
ecu
starter, maybe
alternator
dash
seats
motors and wiring for all windows and doors
wire harnesses in eng compartment
headlights, taillights, blinkers
haghhhhhhh, anyone been through this before? what was changed out?
thank you and hope none of you have to deal with this
Old 10-11-2011, 10:28 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
Sorry to hear your plight. I was stationed at Ft. Richardson for for years. Spent a month on Kodiak doing survival training.
It is possible you hyrdro locked your engine. 4 year old truck, I would be contacting my insurance company.

Edit-just saw you already contacted insurance. It is stuff like this you pay for, they have dealt with it before..

Last edited by dropzone; 10-11-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:53 AM

true, true. I do not believe it is hydro locked as it was turning over, even though it was all by itself. but will probably have to be totaled. I hope it works out, I'll pull everything off and put it on another 4 runner. sure I can find one somewhere
Old 10-11-2011, 11:08 AM

it good you had someone with you are that could have turned deadly fast
Old 10-11-2011, 11:34 AM

I would rather they totaled it if it were mine...otherwise you're left with a branded title. Good luck with it and glad everyone is ok.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PAZZO
HELP....
We luckly had our friend behind us when the road gave out and my wife and I dropped into a river at night here in freezing Kodiak, Alaska. The 4runner was instantly in a fast flowing Freezing cold river with water up to the middle of the windshield. We got a window open and got out because as soon as I put it in reverse everything died in the truck. we got it pulled out within 15 min or so. but the water inside the truck was already above the dash and the river was flowing through the windows.
I know we got lucky to have someone there to help us, we were in a really bad spot being up to my neck in freezing water hooking the truck up. The artic survival training helped me at least recgonize how bad tis was for us. It was a bad night and a lot of huddling together to get our heat back.
So now nothing works, after the second day i connected the battery and all hell broke out, the truck started turning over with no key in, water in dash, all lights, locks etc were going on and off. I figured the ecu is toast and that is why the truck won't engage the starter??
any ideas, and hopefully the insurance will cover this.
I figure I will need:
all fluids
ecu
starter, maybe
alternator
dash
seats
motors and wiring for all windows and doors
wire harnesses in eng compartment
headlights, taillights, blinkers
haghhhhhhh, anyone been through this before? what was changed out?
thank you and hope none of you have to deal with this
a comprehensive claim would usually cover that, if you bought that coverage. your insurance would subrogate or sue the state if there's negligence by the DOT for not maintaining the road.

if they choose to total the vehicle, you'd have to verify the additional expense for all your accessories. it's usually better to remove them all first.

there's a threshold to be met, for damage expenses to be a 'total loss'. it's probably in your best interest to take it to the dealer for them to create an estimate of repairs. if the estimate is high enough, insurance will 'total' it.

good luck, and hey, GLAD YOU'RE ALL STILL ALIVE. seriously.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, PAZZO, that was hair-raising. Glad everyone's OK.

I once had a week-old car I left in a long-term airport park next to a seawall during a Boston Nor'easter. Salt water rose above the rockers. It was totaled by the insurance company. I imagine salt water above the windshield would be totaled, too.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:44 PM

i talked to them its covered either way

Last edited by PAZZO; 10-11-2011 at 02:57 PM. Reason: incorrect info
Old 10-11-2011, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by tj884Rdlx
a comprehensive claim would usually cover that, if you bought that coverage. your insurance would subrogate or sue the state if there's negligence by the DOT for not maintaining the road.

if they choose to total the vehicle, you'd have to verify the additional expense for all your accessories. it's usually better to remove them all first.

there's a threshold to be met, for damage expenses to be a 'total loss'. it's probably in your best interest to take it to the dealer for them to create an estimate of repairs. if the estimate is high enough, insurance will 'total' it.

good luck, and hey, GLAD YOU'RE ALL STILL ALIVE. seriously.
Glad your ok! Yep, take off all your "goodies" and scrap the vehicle. Hard to do... But if the insurance will pay, then the best thing to do. Again, glad you're ok!
Old 10-12-2011, 09:11 AM

Does anyone know where i can buy ALL the wiring for the truck inside and to the engine, and a new dash, ac condenser, etc. anything electric to change out? there is nothing on Kodiak Island.

any help locating this would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. I have no problem paying the shipping to get everything here.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:19 AM

We would order everything from the dealer... Not sure if it maybe cheaper someplace else... But the dealer sells new looms and you KNOW they are good.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:20 AM

Dealership. Isn't that your insurance company's problem anyway?
Old 10-12-2011, 09:34 AM

tue

but if the dealer totals it i hope to buy it at a salvage cost and make it my project truck
Old 10-12-2011, 06:39 PM

I lived in Kodiak for several years. Where did you have your problem?
Old 10-13-2011, 08:24 PM

Why would you replace the wiring??? It's not like the water ate away at it. It's the electronics at the end of the wiring that are toast. I would be replacing specific modules before anything else..

of your list..

all fluids - yes
ecu - most likely
starter, maybe - 50/50 I would lean towards no.
alternator - probably not
dash - nope
seats - nope
motors and wiring for all windows and doors - lol no.
wire harnesses in eng compartment - no
headlights, taillights, blinkers - no

Just because it got submerged in water doesn't mean EVERYTHING is toast. Alot of these parts get very wet on the regular, especially anything in the engine bay or inside the doors.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by EDub
Why would you replace the wiring??? It's not like the water ate away at it. It's the electronics at the end of the wiring that are toast. I would be replacing specific modules before anything else..

of your list..

all fluids - yes
ecu - most likely
starter, maybe - 50/50 I would lean towards no.
alternator - probably not
dash - nope
seats - nope
motors and wiring for all windows and doors - lol no.
wire harnesses in eng compartment - no
headlights, taillights, blinkers - no

Just because it got submerged in water doesn't mean EVERYTHING is toast. Alot of these parts get very wet on the regular, especially anything in the engine bay or inside the doors.

true I agree. Iflopped my runner in a river once(dont ask I was drunk). had water past the hood. the alternator and starter are meant to get wet. dc current isnt really affected by water from what I hear. Sensative electronics like the ECU would be damaged though and like fuse boxes and stuff
Old 10-13-2011, 09:13 PM

Glad ur alright. Hope the insurance company take care of you. The one I have my truck through screwed me. I got pay out of pocket for my rebuild but they did pay for light pile my sister hit. $50,000!!
Old 10-13-2011, 09:41 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by PAZZO
Does anyone know where i can buy ALL the wiring for the truck inside and to the engine, and a new dash, ac condenser, etc. anything electric to change out? there is nothing on Kodiak Island.

any help locating this would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. I have no problem paying the shipping to get everything here.
here is a link to some parts sources:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120...rs-etc-221645/
Old 10-15-2011, 01:16 AM

Received 102 Likes on 54 Posts
How are there no pictures?
Old 10-15-2011, 08:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It would be best not to try and save it as a daily driver. My cousin dunked his jeep pickup in the creek after to many barley pops,the truck was constantly having problems.unless every part is disassembled and cleaned it is a future problem. The man I work for bought a Dodge diesel 4x4 that was flooded in the White river here in Ar to use as a farm truck. It was all the time going thru seals and had electrical problems.Both of them changed the fluids and cleaned as much as they could , but each truck was a on going head ache, but if you want a project to off road go for it.

Last edited by swampfox; 10-15-2011 at 08:27 AM.

Quick Reply: fully submerged 07 4runner in freezing kodiak river, help