03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Buying 2008 Tacoma, NEED HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying 2008 Tacoma, NEED HELP!!

I am now in the market for a new Toy and really like the new Tacoma's. I will not be trading in my 4Runner on this since it is practically worth nothing at the dealer (130k makes it a "whole sale" vehicle)

Okay, so on to my needs for a new truck...

I've gotta have 4 doors, and 4wd and an auto tranny w/ the 4.0V6. Other than that, I want leather (dealer installed) the color matched bumpers and everything with the hood scoop ( i know its fake, but my 4runner has one, and I have grown to really like it!!) and I am also going to need the V6 tow package. Other than that, can you guys point me in the right direction for other option's you wish you had, keep in mind this WILL NOT be a weekend warrior so the rear diff lock I can take or leave (my 4Runner will become trail only after the new truck gets here)

I also have a couple of questions about the new Tacoma's -

How do those composite bed's hold up to abuse? Can you Line-X it? The Tacoma is rated at capable to tow 6500lbs with the tow package, how would it feel pulling my lifted/locked/armored 4runner around?

I know this truck is going to cost around 30k with the options I want, with the invoice being closer to 28k, how close to invoice have some of you gotten. Does it help if this will be the 4th Toyota for me in 10 years?

Thanks in advance for any help in the matter, and please feel free to input your opinions.

Kyle

The Current MallCrawler
[/QUOTE]
Old 11-19-2007, 03:22 PM
Contributing Member

you want a TRD sport, has the painted parts, and LSD in the rear, add tow package and that will give you what you need, go for invoice, about 27500
Old 11-19-2007, 03:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's currently $500 customer cash back in factory regions, so a sharp negotiator could buy one near or possibly slightly below invoice, especially during late December.

But, you're in one of two privately owned distributorships, Southeast Toyota, that plays by different rules and might have more or less cash back and crammed full of port installed options unless pre-ordered.

Hutch is right, you'll want the TRD Sport that also comes in both short or long bed models. If you're interested in the new TRD S/C, have the dealer install it and roll it into the total financed.

Nice 'Runner pics!

Last edited by BT17R; 11-19-2007 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:23 AM

okay, so i just went to toyota.com and built my tacoma using my zip code (32607). it only had about 2000 something tacoma's to choose from, and it wouldnt let me pick out different options, only packages so i chose a super white DC 4x4 short bed with the TRD sport package and the airbag package and it came to just under 32k. i know im not going to pay that much for it, so how much bargaining room do i have if invoice is sitting just above 28k for these trucks? can you ever get them for below invoice prices?? when is the best time to buy? how hard should i push the sales department before i give in or walk out?
Old 11-21-2007, 10:24 AM

and a trd supercharger... sounds fun, didnt toyota recently buy TRD? and ive heard that URD's kit provides more power at speed... which is better for longevity of the vehicle as a whole... will i need a charger or is it quick enough?
Old 11-21-2007, 11:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RunnerUp
okay, so i just went to toyota.com and built my tacoma using my zip code (32607). it only had about 2000 something tacoma's to choose from, and it wouldnt let me pick out different options, only packages so i chose a super white DC 4x4 short bed with the TRD sport package and the airbag package and it came to just under 32k. i know im not going to pay that much for it, so how much bargaining room do i have if invoice is sitting just above 28k for these trucks? can you ever get them for below invoice prices?? when is the best time to buy? how hard should i push the sales department before i give in or walk out?
Here's one of the most effective methods I know of to get the best deal of the year.

-- Wait until Dec. 15, that's when the most generous incentives are announced. There are often three types then, factory to dealer, factory to customer and lease/finance incentives.

-- On Dec. 16, e-mail at least 10 dealers within 250 miles of you, should be easy there, asking for exactly what you want. Let them know that you're an informed buyer, quote the invoice price (from Toyota.com), the incentives available, when you intend to buy (by Dec. 31) and what their best offer is. Ask them to quote their best finance rate, too, but also let them know that you're pre-qualified and approved (but never for how much), then go get that done. You can find their e-mail on Toyota.com too, or Google. Of course leave your name, number and return e-mail.

-- Wait until Dec. 24 for responses. Most serious dealers will respond in a day or two. Then enjoy your holiday and don't respond.

-- On Dec. 28 e-mail the 3 low bidders and ask them to sharpen their pencil for a little better deal and for dealer cost on any accessories and service contract but don't buy the service contract.

-- That'll narrow things down further and then decide.

This method will save you countless hours and anxiety. Time is on your side, use it.

Last edited by BT17R; 11-21-2007 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:46 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RunnerUp
and a trd supercharger... sounds fun, didnt toyota recently buy TRD? and ive heard that URD's kit provides more power at speed... which is better for longevity of the vehicle as a whole... will i need a charger or is it quick enough?
The new S/C is an entirely different animal and is discussed in the FJ Cruiser forum here. Not to say it isn't adequately powered stock, it is, especially at sea level where you are. Tough call, but the full 5/60 drivetrain warranty only applies to the S/C if it's dealer installed.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by BT17R
Here's one of the most effective methods I know of to get the best deal of the year.

-- Wait until Dec. 15, that's when the most generous incentives are announced. There are often three types then, factory to dealer, factory to customer and lease/finance incentives.

-- On Dec. 16, e-mail at least 10 dealers within 250 miles of you, should be easy there, asking for exactly what you want. Let them know that you're an informed buyer, quote the invoice price (from Toyota.com), the incentives available, when you intend to buy (by Dec. 31) and what their best offer is. Ask them to quote their best finance rate, too, but also let them know that you're pre-qualified and approved (but never for how much), then go get that done. You can find their e-mail on Toyota.com too, or Google. Of course leave your name, number and return e-mail.

-- Wait until Dec. 24 for responses. Most serious dealers will respond in a day or two. Then enjoy your holiday and don't respond.

-- On Dec. 28 e-mail the 3 low bidders and ask them to sharpen their pencil for a little better deal and for dealer cost on any accessories and service contract but don't buy the service contract.

-- That'll narrow things down further and then decide.

This method will save you countless hours and anxiety. Time is on your side, use it.

Thanks a bunch for that helpful knowledge!! there are quite a few accessories that im interested in, most notably the roof rack and rubber floor mats!! that should save me a pretty penny. thanks again, ill be sure to send out a bunch of emails on december 16th!!

and your right about there being a bunch of toyota dealerships close to me... in my area alone (tampa, not gville) there are 5 or 6 dealerships!! im starting to get excited now!!
Old 11-21-2007, 02:31 PM

i wouldn't get the sport with LSD, get the regular off road pkg w/locker
Old 11-22-2007, 04:45 AM

Power for the V6 is surprisingly good, with good fuel economy numbers to back it up. I personally don't need any more power. Mine tows my 19' 8" fish and ski boat just fine.

However, if you want more power, why not just get the V8 instead of a V6 with a supercharger?

The V8 would be simpler, with fewer things to go wrong. I couldn't say about fuel economy, but my guess is that the V8 versus the supercharged V6 would be about the same. And I figure the V8 would probably be cheaper to buy as well.

As far as the bed goes, mine has held up just fine. Things do tend to slide around. The cure for that is a bed mat. It's cheaper than a spray in liner, and since the bed isn't steel, the protection a spray in liner provides is a moot point.

When it comes to the locker versus the limited slip, I would go ahead and get the locker. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. I love my factory locker, and wouldn't want a 4wd truck without one.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:00 AM
Contributing Member

No V-8 available in Tacoma.

He wants the hood scoop, meaning TRD Sport model, that doesn't have RR locker available, standard mechanical LSD though. For his use, I'd prefer the LSD.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:07 PM

Unless you're buying an X-Runner and racing it the supercharger is a waste. There is plenty of power to spare. I had the rubber mats and they are a piece of crap. If you wear boots they will split in half within 6 months. I got the mats from Weathertech and I love em. They are much better quality and hold water and dirt on mat. I would also invest in the seat covers. The bed is awesome, but it scratches easily. get the bed mat. Whenever you go to the dealer act like you don't give a rats ass if you get the vehicle you want. Be ready and willing to walk out. Trust me they will not stop chopping the price. Right now in West Virginia, there is a dealer offering dealers invoice and additional $1000 off on 07s. In general, go at end of month on days with bad weather. Just remember, they are much more desperate than you are to sell the truck. You may or may not pick up on it because they lose money the longer it sits on the lot. But don't wait too long because you might not be able to get what you want.

Last edited by juddemt; 11-23-2007 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:25 AM

okay, thanks for the good info guys, keep it coming!

about the RR diff lock vs. the lsd, i would love to have the rear locker, but it isnt an option with the sport package, and on this truck i would rather have everything painted the same color than a rear locker in a truck that wont see much offroad use until somewhere around 2012. i am keeping my 4runner, and its already locked lifted and screwed so i might as well keep the tacoma clean and rattle free for as long as possible

im still thinking of spray in bed liner as im not sure i like the idea of a "bet mat" what exactly is that? is it like a drop in liner?

like said above me, V8s arent available in the tacoma, and im not really worried about gas mileage, otherwise i would buy a prius. i am just thinking about taking advantage of a "lifetime" powertrain warranty that wesley chapel toyota here in florida is offering and throwing a supercharger on now. that way when something breaks, they replace it for free... and you can always have more power, right?

i am def. not going to pay more than 500$ over invoice for this truck after all the talk on here, im going to attempt to get them down to invoice atleast, but i do believe my best bet is to buy during the end of december (hopefully it rains a bunch then)

im still not 100% sold on any color yet, though i really like the black ( wont buy another black truck though) and the white. the impulse red is sweet also, i just dont know if i could have a red truck for a long time. this truck will be kept for as long as it runs, once i have a toyota, i wont get rid of it until it dies (my 98 and 99 4runners were both totalled)
Old 11-24-2007, 08:26 AM

oh, and thanks for the heads up on the weathertech mats, i totally spaced out and forgot about those awesome mats!!!
Old 11-24-2007, 03:16 PM

Think about working in a lift and tires with the dealer so you can finance it all at once. Then you might as well ask if they can put on some TJM or ARB bumpers?

But don't get the pre-paid service plan - good luck!
Old 11-24-2007, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Colemanfu
Think about working in a lift and tires with the dealer so you can finance it all at once. Then you might as well ask if they can put on some TJM or ARB bumpers?

But don't get the pre-paid service plan - good luck!
haha, i dont plan on putting a lift or tires on it for quite some time, atleast 3-4 years, by then it will be paid off. but then i might go to a small lift and tires with the ARB... but its going to stay fairly stock for quite some time.

so what is this prepaid service plan, and why dont i want it... another question, whats the deal with warranties and me doing small stuff like changing my oil and air filters and such?
Old 11-24-2007, 03:48 PM

heres the real question......... do you.. want to enjoy your truck and your experience or do you.. want to draw this out and feel like you put one over on some dealer .... first kbb.com get your facts and prices together 2 warranty is a feel good thing my father always bought a warranty and always felt good about it i dont believe in them and never buy them and do just fine truth is you can buy the warrnety from toyota directly after your purchase give yourself some time to think about it... next price kbb.com will show you invioce and retail and tell you what prices people have paid heres how to NOT have a bad experince email as many dealers as you like with a price YOU feel you want to pay. (also look for dealers that HAVE the truck you want they are more apt to deal on cars IN STOCK)... within reason 1.00 for an 08 not within reason.. next obvioulsy youve started with a very low price let them counter your offer work it until they QUIT youll see all the dealers will be in the same ballpark pick a truck and set the appointment. also get your OWN bank to give you the loan

i have years in the car biz ask me anything youd like
Old 11-24-2007, 03:58 PM

wait, is the prepaid service plan just the extended warranty? if so im def. getting it, ive had a rear end start going out and my power steering rack go out before 100k, and between those two fixes, i think the extended warranty would be worth it.

and as far as putting one over on a dealer, i dont think that can happen, unless they really screw up the paper work. im not looking to "put one over on them" but rather, have them not "put one over" on me.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:05 PM

with all the info today its very hard to put on over on you anymore truth be told most dealers get paid on uunits now (of course they make profit on things they are there to make money) your "service plan" is not a warrenty its pre paying your oil changes and such its only good when you lease so no and the prepaid service plan the true warranty is still up to you
dont make it hard then it is go to kbb.com tell me what you find also find how many trucks come as close to wat you want (toyota.com) and use those to compare follow what im saying??
Old 12-05-2007, 10:44 AM
Contributing Member

RunnerUp, time to make your move. Toyota announced yesterday $500 customer cash back on all '07 and '08 Tacomas. They pulled the trigger earlier than expected to compete with everyone else doing the same. Note this incentive applies to the factory regions. Your region, SET, may have more or less $ starting now or later. Good luck, let us know how everything worked out.

Quick Reply: Buying 2008 Tacoma, NEED HELP!!