Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 06:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where would I buy new cotter pins?
Old 03-27-2004, 06:46 PM
Contributing Member

You can try Autozone. Not sure if they might have it but I know cotter pins are pretty generic. I know someone has to have it beside the Toyota Parts Department.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:15 PM
Banned

After I get all the parts installed, will the torn ball joint boot be alright to drive with, I mean ... to drive to a shop with so I can get it replaced? Crap. How do I know if I need to replace more than just the boot?

(i ask because i hit the bolt with a hammer and now I read that if you do that, you'll have to replace the entire thing)

Last edited by 4route; 03-27-2004 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-27-2004, 08:42 PM
Contributing Member

The ball joint boots are not critical as it just happened. You should be able to drive it for awhile before you gotta fix it.

As for using the hammer to break something.... The arms itself are pretty strong that you won't be breaking anything.

You should be able to do the lift w/o replacing the boot. You can do that some other time. I would still look for the cotter pin though.
Old 03-27-2004, 08:45 PM
Banned

I smacked the crap out of the outer tie rod end bolt with a hammer ... arg.

Yeah, I figure I'll do the lift, and then take it to get it aligned, and have them replace the boot and make sure I didn't screw anything else up. I'll look for a cotter pin in the meantime, thank you.

From here on out, I won't be touching the balljoints or the tie rod end. Yesterday you mentioned that I should not let the rubber piece pinch ... which rubber piece were you referring to??
Old 03-27-2004, 08:51 PM
Contributing Member

rubber piece on the top. Check my previous post on the image I copied from you and made a big red circle
Old 03-27-2004, 08:56 PM
Banned

Oh, right, well ... that piece is a-ok so far. After not being able to have any success with the tie rod end balljoint, I decided not to pry on the upper balljoint! First smart decision of the process! hehe. As I researched the boards, a lot of posts were made saying that if you hit that bolt (the one on the outer tie rod end balljoint) you'd have to replace the entire big piece. Bah. Well ... guess I will just wake up early and get started again. Hopefully this time with more success ... I'm sure once I get one side at the front done, the rest won't be as hard because I'll know better what to do. Wish me luck!
Old 03-27-2004, 09:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Biff
You're right its like a 5 hour drive. Its a little bit to much for me.
no prob. it's a long way to drive.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4route
Oh, right, well ... that piece is a-ok so far. After not being able to have any success with the tie rod end balljoint, I decided not to pry on the upper balljoint! First smart decision of the process! hehe. As I researched the boards, a lot of posts were made saying that if you hit that bolt (the one on the outer tie rod end balljoint) you'd have to replace the entire big piece. Bah. Well ... guess I will just wake up early and get started again. Hopefully this time with more success ... I'm sure once I get one side at the front done, the rest won't be as hard because I'll know better what to do. Wish me luck!
Well good luck for tomorrow!!!!! good decision to take a break first.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:10 PM
Contributing Member

Lance & the other guys,
Thanks a lot for all your help, I'm certianly learning a lot so far.

4route sorry you had to be the test rabbit
Old 03-27-2004, 11:17 PM
Banned

One last question before I start in the morning:

Is it okay for me to loosen the top/center nut on the strut shaft just enough to break the bolt? I know it is under pressure, but I also know it will be impossible to break when it is loose from the assembly. So should I loosen it just a tiny bit before compressing the springs and removing the whole assembly ... or should I compress the coil and then loosen the bolt while it is still in the tower?
Old 03-27-2004, 11:24 PM
Contributing Member

if u compress the coil, the top center will be easy to remove
Old 03-28-2004, 08:38 AM
Banned

Alright, well, I'll compress it first, but I was just concerned about being able to loosen the bolt, since all the other bolts on the truck have been incredibly difficult to loosen.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:01 PM
Banned

This is bull. So I have the strut bottom out toward the front of the vehicle, but I still cannot get to it enough to compress it. Have any of you actually done this before? If so ... please help me here, I have been working at this for a week and I need some help, please ... I know some of you have done this and have to know what I am talking about so please, just take two seconds and give me some help here.

I have XREAS, I have gotten the strut bottom out and loose, but the strut is so angled and tight that it's almost impossible to get these Craftsman compressors on safely/straight. Do I pull the top of the strut under the a-arm somehow? What do I do to get it in a position to compress the coils ... how was it set up when you guys did it?

Please help me.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:23 PM
Contributing Member

Have you removed the upper bolts (3 bolts) that hold the upper end of the strut assembly to the body? You should be able to get to the strut then, shouldn't you? Maybe post pic.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:29 PM
Contributing Member

Indeed, photos will help here. Gotta see what we're up against so we can help ya out
Old 03-30-2004, 05:37 PM
Banned

yes, of course I have removed the top three bolts. the strut is loose, but i can't pull the top of it under the a-arm toward the front (like you said i should, lance).

i know other people have done this -- i wish they would respond too.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:40 PM
Contributing Member

It's the center bolt that hanging you up right? Is it hanging up about 1/2 inch or so? I remember being able to clear the 3 bolts but the center one was the hang up for me too.

Just making sure we're on the same page here.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:45 PM
Banned

well ... the center bolt is hanging up less than 1/2 inch ...

but it's more than that ... didn't you tell me that i should be able to pull the whole strut/coil UNDER the arm and toward the front of the truck?
Old 03-30-2004, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

recap: I'm pretty sure you took the swaybar off but never hurts to ask again anyway

As for the 1/2" part, that's the part that'll be a pita. You'd have to do some creative moving of the assembly to get it out. How about pushing the shock up and pulling the bottom out to the front and then out? Anotherwards, the other way around instead from the bottom.

Running out of ideas but I know we'll get it.

Quick Reply: another 4th gen. lift in progress soon