Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

The Yota wave?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
always a wave, we also keep track of how much weight our toyotas ched after each winter
Old 09-29-2008, 04:56 PM
Contributing Member

I got a Toyota "power to the people fist pump" today.

Dude had his window down as did I and as we passed he raised his arm with a fist and did the "blow the horn" motion.

I laughed for a few miles after that.
He was driving an '89 4Runner with 33's.
Had never seen him before - I saw a sticker on his back window but couldn't make out what it was.

Fink
Old 09-29-2008, 05:44 PM

Round here we got many types of waves. Got the country folk wave, the truck wave, the lifted truck wave, the offroader wave. Got that whole southern hospitality thing going on.

Always get the wave in the dodge, but when I'm in the yoter, most of the time I get the "WTF is that?" stare. Or I get the finger for driving on the highway with a top speed of 55mph. Then they notice the gun in the gun rack or the shotgun up on the dash and either speed up or put on the brakes.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Asha'man
I wave to rigs that look like they have enthusiast owners. Stockers could be owned by enthusiasts who just haven't done anything with them yet, but the chances are slim. It can be a wave or a head bob or pretty much anything to let the other guy know that you appreciate his rig, and he generally does the same thing. I've talked to guys in traffic before, conditions permitting, and try to give thumbs-ups even on the highway. You know you'd be psyched if someone did it for you, so why not give someone else the pleasure?

Last night my truck fried the alternator on the way home from wheeling, so I drove my gf home in the SVO. We were at a light and just as it turned green for me, a red Mach 1 pulled up in the left turn lane and revved at me. I hung my hand out the window in acknowledgment, wound 1st out and blew off in reply. My car is rare and is obviously modded, so he knew he was dealing with a hobbyist and not just some dude in a beat-up Mustang who doesn't give a damn.

Really it's just an enthusiast thing. I don't care what they drive as long as they share my love for the hobby. Got a wave from a nice Jeep by my gym a while back, and returned the favor with no hard feelings. You guys who act all hard when dealing with non-Toyotas are, IMO, douchebags.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:28 PM

I love it, everyone does it around here, usually we'll pull in somewhere, talk about them for half hour, plan to go muddin', and away we go
Old 09-30-2008, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Asha'man
I wave to rigs that look like they have enthusiast owners. Stockers could be owned by enthusiasts who just haven't done anything with them yet, but the chances are slim. It can be a wave or a head bob or pretty much anything to let the other guy know that you appreciate his rig, and he generally does the same thing. I've talked to guys in traffic before, conditions permitting, and try to give thumbs-ups even on the highway. You know you'd be psyched if someone did it for you, so why not give someone else the pleasure?

Last night my truck fried the alternator on the way home from wheeling, so I drove my gf home in the SVO. We were at a light and just as it turned green for me, a red Mach 1 pulled up in the left turn lane and revved at me. I hung my hand out the window in acknowledgment, wound 1st out and blew off in reply. My car is rare and is obviously modded, so he knew he was dealing with a hobbyist and not just some dude in a beat-up Mustang who doesn't give a damn.

Really it's just an enthusiast thing. I don't care what they drive as long as they share my love for the hobby. Got a wave from a nice Jeep by my gym a while back, and returned the favor with no hard feelings. You guys who act all hard when dealing with non-Toyotas are, IMO, douchebags.
Alls I was tryin to say is. I had a pro street camaro, an 83 Mustang with a 351 that i found and built from a corn feild, an 85 Dodge Shelby Charger turbo, a lifted 85 Dodge 4x4, a lifted 92 Ford Explorer, a 96 TJ with 35s and a 6inch, 78 Ford with 38s and a 429 with NoS, among various other cars and trucks over the years(my best friends dad owned a used car lot and we got to frequently take trips to the auction with him..lol) And out of all those vehicials I have never got the consistant wave like I get from other Yota owners.

Yes I got the occasional wave from someone who might have liked Mustangs, or someone with a Jeep who liked my 35s, But never consistantly time after time like i do with my Yota.

So yes I do only wave to other Yota owners and if that make me a "douchebag" then so be it but I still remember when the other "douchebags" never bothered to give me a wave.

Last edited by Duelertoyota4x4; 09-30-2008 at 03:49 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:34 PM

I know when I use to drive my brother's Vette around I always got waves from other Vette owners. I've seen other Toyota trucks about our generation wave but never the newer generations.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by SwampThing
Round here we got many types of waves. Got the country folk wave, the truck wave, the lifted truck wave, the offroader wave. Got that whole southern hospitality thing going on.

Always get the wave in the dodge, but when I'm in the yoter, most of the time I get the "WTF is that?" stare. Or I get the finger for driving on the highway with a top speed of 55mph. Then they notice the gun in the gun rack or the shotgun up on the dash and either speed up or put on the brakes.
agreed, the south is alot nicer than the north

but a shotgun on the dash?!?!?!?
i might do that when im hunting, but not when on highway
is on some type of rack, right?
Old 09-30-2008, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by littlecommando
agreed, the south is alot nicer than the north

but a shotgun on the dash?!?!?!?
i might do that when im hunting, but not when on highway
is on some type of rack, right?
Nah, it's just a sawed off that fits real nicely between the dash and the windshield. Never moves unless I need it too

Old 09-30-2008, 06:59 PM

Nah, it's just a sawed off that fits real nicely between the dash and the windshield. Never moves unless I need it too

is that legal?

EDIT: nevermind, i see your from texas
Old 09-30-2008, 06:59 PM

Yeah i dont get any kind of wave when i drive my nissan, camaro, honda or from my gfs jeep. If i wave at other owners in those cars they just look at me like im stupid. I only get that smile and wave when i drive the yota. I guess i just look better in an 86 4runner or something.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:05 PM

wow, i would love to see a cop write you a ticket with that on the dash. Especially since its already pointing at them.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:26 PM

Lol well Im friends with most of the cops here anyways, but even if I didn't, whenever they run my LC my CHL pops up, so they already know I'm packing.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I dont get waves but alot of drooling for some reason

I give the Devil horns
(Best friend rig)
Old 09-30-2008, 08:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lol well Im friends with most of the cops here anyways
God I hate cops but I do wish they were on my side for once!

Only once have I been pulled over and all he wanted to do was talk about my truck
Old 09-30-2008, 09:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 904_runner
Funny you should mention that, whenever im down there, i wave, except when i see a sas'd yota running 28's, then i flip them off!

lol

guess its a good thing nor has 29's
Old 09-30-2008, 09:43 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Lol well Im friends with most of the cops here anyways, but even if I didn't, whenever they run my LC my CHL pops up, so they already know I'm packing.
pardon my ignorance on the inner workings of texas terms, but what is LC and CHL??
Old 09-30-2008, 10:02 PM

LC = License/Credentials (license plate number)
CHL = Concealed Handgun License

And the CHL is really stupid in my opinion. I was driving around (legally) with my .50 BMG in my truck way before I could drive around with a handgun (you have to be 21 to get a CHL). Cause everyone knows a handgun is way more dangerous than the assault rifle or shotgun or high powered rifle you can drive with no questions asked at age 18... Though I suppose you could make the "conceal-ability" of handguns argument, but I guarantee you I'm gonna be waaaaaaay more circumspect of the redneck driving with a fully decked out M4 tact setup with the banana clip than some gang banger with the oh-so-scary glock held sideways. F'in idiots...
Old 09-30-2008, 10:27 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
LC = License/Credentials (license plate number)
CHL = Concealed Handgun License

And the CHL is really stupid in my opinion. I was driving around (legally) with my .50 BMG in my truck way before I could drive around with a handgun (you have to be 21 to get a CHL). Cause everyone knows a handgun is way more dangerous than the assault rifle or shotgun or high powered rifle you can drive with no questions asked at age 18... Though I suppose you could make the "conceal-ability" of handguns argument, but I guarantee you I'm gonna be waaaaaaay more circumspect of the redneck driving with a fully decked out M4 tact setup with the banana clip than some gang banger with the oh-so-scary glock held sideways. F'in idiots...
You have to have a license to conceal a weapon? I wonder if i need one for the S&W King Cobra .357 under my seat? or my dads S&W .50 Pistol he keeps in his horse trailer???
Old 09-30-2008, 10:33 PM

Eh, there are always loop holes, like saying it's your sidearm for the hunting you're on your way to, or you're going to the gun range or whatnot. But as a general rule (here in Texas anyways), yes you have to be over 21 and have a CHL.

Or you can have a .50cal blackpowder handgun (think of a revolver), which is considered a novelty gun here in Texas, and drive with it once you're 18 and catch no flak.

You just need to learn your state's firearms laws. You can only subvert the law if you know it

Quick Reply: The Yota wave?