Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

The Yota wave?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None of the Yotas I have ever owned have ever been stock...but i get waved at by ppl in stockers as well as modifieds. And when i say wave I dont frantically wave my hand like im havin a seizure I just casually leave my palm on the steering wheel and raise the rest of my fingers...much like the ppl who wave to me.

And it dosent really seem to matter the year of the Yota either...someone waved at me from a brandnew Tundra a few weeks ago. And i know none of these ppl know me...cause the only other person i know who drives a yota is my old boss.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Yep, I will give a wave to any modded yota I see. Most stock trucks are driven by people not really "into" the yota scene, so no wave

Im used to getting waves and nods Some drivers are jerks though
Old 09-26-2008, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I get waved by 90% of lifted yota's / jeeps, all landcruisers, all 1st gen's, but rarely stock 2nd/3rd gens....
Since most lifted trucks around here are jeeps, we wave/nod saying nice truck. but i did see a SICK 3rd gen truck who i talked to add a stop light, here's a pic...

Last edited by Greg_Canada; 09-26-2008 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:40 PM

most of the time its a look of confusion/terror. Maybe because they are horrified that a truck like mine is driving down I-294 during rush hour.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:42 PM

question: do crumpled body panels (just for a completely "hypothetical" example passenger fender and driver 1/4) count as a modded truck?

I wave at any rig that looks like it has had it's 4 wheel drive engaged....
Old 09-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4rnr
most of the time its a look of confusion/terror. Maybe because they are horrified that a truck like mine is driving down I-294 during rush hour.
Yeah, I'd look twice too, and think Mad Max was coming to get me...
Old 09-26-2008, 02:52 PM

of course. like everyone said the wave/nod/thumbs up is for the modded trucks or the cool stockers.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:57 PM
Contributing Member

There's a number of Toyota "bros" around here that have the pre-runner thing happening. I used to wave, but I just seemed to get maddogged. So I generally just wave at the guys that seem to have modded their trucks more along the lines I have. They almost always wave back.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:23 PM

yah i can vouch for vw spooks doin the wave obssesively. i used to ride redone bugs and vans and its almost mandatory that the old vwers wave..in fact it would really be an insult not to wave,heh.
i think toyotas have the same kinda culture but just in a more limited way...its such a niche croud who love labors over these yotas and isnt as common as say wanna be bikers who also cant help but wave.
i used to ride a ninja and would always not wave at cruisers cuz i knew my bike was superior in every way and yet people who buy cruisers for the most part dont know that they are drivin the r.vs of the motorcycle world and
therfore are antagonistic[generally] towards sportbike owners.
so i think there are several different sets where there is a culture of wavin and that those cultures have there own rules sorta....i like the yota croud for the most part cuz they seem to be [generally] very smart...even tho kinda small in overall national size...[talkin bout yota owners who modify and wave and obssess here]

its always weird to see a cherry yota rollin down the street and to get all excited and start to sit-up and begin to flash interest and all that and start the wave and then the other yota gets close and in it sits an old lady or somethin who could give a crap about wut kinda rig she is drivin and then you instantly know your not gonna get a wave bac..haha and she is thinkin yer gonna try and rob her or sumthin haha......idk
Old 09-26-2008, 03:37 PM
Contributing Member

we were heading to camp nl a few years back, looking ahead on the road i saw a mint fj40 coming my way. i flashed the high beams, stuck my hand out the window and gave him the thumbs up. you should have seen the smile on his face when we passed each other!

there is a guy driving a 60 series where i live, im hoping to talk with him one of these days. its rhd & diesel. hmmm, i wonder what it would take to get him to part with it?!

lee
Old 09-26-2008, 04:36 PM
Contributing Member

4 fingers, fanned apart, out the window.

they just look and think "why does that guy have a shovel on the top of his truck?"
Old 09-26-2008, 06:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always see a red 1985 4Runner EFI runnin around town, its all rusted out and the local Breadux's owner drives it during the winter..We usually wave at each other whenever I see him, then again the exhaust fell off so I always hear him first, and some old guy in a blue 2WD 2nd Gen Toy smiled at me today when he saw my big ass truck and heard it, I always get stares and stuff when I drive my tacoma, then again it looks a bit different then an average truck, if you dunno what I mean look at my cardomain page..
Old 09-26-2008, 07:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Anyone around these parts that has a Yoter that's not completely stock get's "the wave". From me anyway!

Lol, it's funny this thread should come up now. This week I just realised that there's the same group of 3 other Yota's that I seem to catch up with on my 25min drive to work; one 2nd gen PU, a 3rd gen pu, and a 1st gen Runner, all slightly modded (lil lift, tires, ect). Never have talked to any of them as I'm on my way to work and would be late if I did stop, but we all give each other the look and wave, lol, it's pretty cool. We all seem to get to the same speed and just cruise together on the way to our different jobs.

We pass the occational Jeep on the other side of the road and the driver just looks at us... then frowns...

must be that Jeep thing they always talk about, I dunno...
Old 09-26-2008, 07:24 PM

I'll stick to just waving to other motorcyclists (when I'm on my motorcycle). Sounds too annoying. Pretty soon every vehicle will be waving to each other. Hey I have a pinto! Lets wave cuz you have a pinto too! LOL
Old 09-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by 91Toyota
I'll stick to just waving to other motorcyclists (when I'm on my motorcycle). Sounds too annoying. Pretty soon every vehicle will be waving to each other. Hey I have a pinto! Lets wave cuz you have a pinto too! LOL
Hey!

Like, OMG, you have internet too?

Old 09-26-2008, 07:54 PM

First time I remember the Yota way was in 1976 when I had my first Yota a "76" FJ. Then it was reserved for those of us that knew we had something special, the LAND CRUISER!
Old 09-26-2008, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Greg_Canada
I get waved by 90% of lifted yota's / jeeps, all landcruisers, all 1st gen's, but rarely stock 2nd/3rd gens....
Since most lifted trucks around here are jeeps, we wave/nod saying nice truck. but i did see a SICK 3rd gen truck who i talked to add a stop light, here's a pic...
Hey man I think i saw that truck over at Tristans, it was badass and the guy picked it up for dirt cheap!
Old 09-26-2008, 08:58 PM

i do the wave to any yota that has 4x4 and no soccer moms.

i just realized, i think i have the oldest yota in my town, cuz the only waves i send are to tacos and fj cruisers.... sad.... im all alone in 3rd gen world.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:03 PM

i give the 'wave' out to yotas whom are worthy enough.
the rest of the yota guys get the nod.
jeeps get the fogs and the high beams.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:08 PM

I get waves from everybody around my little town, but everybody does that anyway. When I go to town I get a few waves and alot of turned heads.

Quick Reply: The Yota wave?