86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

WTH happened??....fan clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 05:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
Bummer.

Well, I'll know soon enough. Besides... going anywhere in this vehicle is not really an option. It won't stay running for some reason. I'll work it out, though. Thanks for the response.

BTW, I've been very curious for long time about your username. Where does that come from?...if you don't mind.
Lysmachia is the Latin botanical name for a flower - commonly known as white goose neck. Growing up my Brother had a cut flower farm and I worked on it all the time. I know every botanical name of most flowers. Sadly I don't normally know the common name. LOL. I've used Lysmachia as my screen name even before I got into wheeling 7 years ago. Hey at least I didn't choose Scabiosa! (Another flower favorite)

/hijack
Old 06-29-2007, 02:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Lysmachia
Hey at least I didn't choose Scabiosa!
Yeah, that's not nearly as graceful of a name. Lysmachia...much better choice. Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-29-2007, 02:20 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Lysmachia, LIZ-MA-KEY-UH. Is that how it's pronounced?

I got one, Ranunculus

As in "that's ranunculus".
I kill myself.

Last edited by MudHippy; 06-29-2007 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:26 PM

I have stopped an engine by just grabbing the flywheel

it was my .15 cu in rc motor but still
Old 06-29-2007, 02:37 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by MudHippy
Lysmachia, LIZ-MA-KEY-UH. Is that how it's pronounced?

I got one, Ranunculus
how about
Old 06-29-2007, 04:17 PM
DCS

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Go out in the morning and reach your hand into your unstarted engine bay and spin the fan. "Neato. I can move it!"

The fan spins at this point because the silicone goo inside the fan clutch is cool and allows the clutch to slip a little. It's some special silicone goo. I've always wondered what's in it, but I have no idea.

When the moder is running, the belt spins the fan hub which is affixed to the fan shaft which is held within bearings in the artificial fan hub thingy slash water pump cover.

If those bearings go bad, then you get the catastrophic failure described by lysmachia, subsequently aptly diagnosed by Ganoid. This was not related to the fan clutch.

If the fan clutch fails, it usually locks up and causes the fan to spin constantly at the rate determined by the engine rpms and gearing step-up between the crank and fan hubs. In other words, it over cools.

If you reach your hand in and stop your fan on a cool engine, you have discovered the mechanism of the silicone fan clutch hub. It only truly locks up when hot.

Internet legend has it that lock-up is a rapid physiological event. I can only surmise that this particular bit o information is widely circulated because some poor farmer kid in Iowa was holding his fan still in front of a large group at a keg party, and he held it long enough for some warm air or radiant heat to impact the clutch hub and subsequently made a very personal discovery about the magic silicone goo they put in those clutches.

I have observed the same phenomenon described by Ganoid about how a fan spins pretty fast (is nearly locked up) for the 10 or 30 seconds of engine operation in the morning. I believe that this only occurs on cool engines. If the silicone goo is too cool (mebbe gelled up or something), it will cause the fan clutch to be nearly locked up for a short period of time until the goo gets stirred up a bit. After that, the goo only locks up the clutch when it gets hot. Maybe this is why the fan is stiff but possible to spin by hand with the moder off when cool, but nearly freewheels by hand with moder off when you come out of Walmart and decide to check it then.

Methinks the magic silicone goo has a tight range of temperature within it allows the fan to completely freewheel.

Well that's all the drinking i intend to do indoors today. I will now move outside, away from the computer.

For those who have attempted to get lucky and discover that the necessary information for this thread is available in one sentence at the end of this long diatribe, see below. The rest of you: get off the internet, it's the friggin weekend already.

There is nothing wrong with this guys clutch.

Old 06-29-2007, 04:18 PM
DCS

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh, and for the guy who grabs flywheels...

I have stopped engines by shooting them with various large bore firearms. But i have decided not to shoot at you. Might get hit by a Rick O. Shay!
Old 07-03-2007, 07:04 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Holy sh@t! I should've subscribed to my own damn thread. I had no idea there were any more replies. Funny, funny!

Thanks DCS! Have one for me. I'm outta St. Pauli at the moment...
Old 07-04-2007, 12:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like its time to swap er out for an electric fan, or two. Ford taurus' have great dual fans that you can pick up pretty cheap at the junk yard/upgrade yard. I did mine, not with a Taurus fan, but with a single dodge avenger fan, and rigged it up in about two hours, and she works just fine. My good ol 3.slow has more power, better mileage, and stays cool even in 105+ degree California summertime.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:07 AM

ok so i dont have acces to a photothingy to test, now what?
shoot it?
Old 07-04-2007, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by DCS
and subsequently made a very personal discovery about the magic silicone goo they put in those clutches.
be-a-utiful