Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

woohoo, a project for me!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 08:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol, were on the same page now, good luck.

where is your dads place?
Old 08-29-2008, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
.... my third member just started leaking to, i didn't realized you had to take apart the rear end to change a gasket, fun times.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by MIKEMOKAS
lol, were on the same page now, good luck.

where is your dads place?
Just over in Orlando; it's maybe an hour from where I'm at right now in Titusville. He told me if I go over there and help him fix his AC on his 99 S10, he'd help me knock this out ( he's one of those old-school mechanics; he can tear apart and build up 350s and 454s all day long, but throw something in front of him with any electronics, and he's like "screw that mess, com'ere boy, help me out with this", lol ), plus I aint seen the ol fart in a while and it'll be cool to go hang out with him for the weekend, now that I can do that with this new job I have.

got all my parts together this afternoon after work and I'll be head'n over there about 8:30 in the mornin!
Old 08-31-2008, 07:55 PM
Contributing Member

well, we have now more leak now!

took me all of about 3.5 hours Sat ( which I would call decent for never have messed with the thing before ) to get the new gasket and axle seals installed

found out one thing though, my bearings... yeah, their shot! as much as I really, really, REALLY didn't want to, I had to keep them in for now, for 2 reasons; 1) payday is at the end of this week so I'm tight on money till then, and 2) it's laybor-day weekend and no machine shops were open to remove and press the bearings on.

but hopefully that's next weekends project considering I don't even have to get under the truck to change those; jack er up, put it on stands, take out the axles and all the brake stuff, have the bearings swapped out, and then the reverse, so that shouldn't take very long at all

but I was surprised at how easy it was. my father, never having messes with too many Toyotas was like "are you sure that's how that works? you take out those 4 bolts, the axle slides out, and remove all them bolts and the hole thing comes off?"

but I did everything by the book, everything's torqued back to spec, the only plan that changed was the gear fluid; I used regular stuff for now, because in a few months time a locker and gears are going in (I'm getting a whole 3rd member from a buddy that I'm gunna have put together with the gears and lock so I can just bolt it right in and keep my original as a spare), and then I'll throw in some good synthetic stuff

and the old fluid looked like chocolate milk... yeah, it's was NASTY looking... I could almost here my diff-gears going "aaahhhhhh" on the test drive after it was done, lol

and sorry, no pics... hands were too dirty...

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 08-31-2008 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
Looks like everyone already answered all of your other questions 'cept one....

Redline gear oil. Good stuff!
Not with an auto locker. Why not you ask?
Old 09-01-2008, 05:47 AM

Cant go wrong with any of the Lucas line of fluids either.

I used their Auto Trans fix fluid in a Chevy Venture tranny that should have left the vehicial on the side of the road waitin for a tow. But I got another 3 months out of the junk tranny buying me enough time to find a different van and sell the Chevy. Im sold lol.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:32 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Swansen
.... my third member just started leaking to, i didn't realized you had to take apart the rear end to change a gasket, fun times.
Swansen, it just doesn't seem to be getting any more fun for you, does it? Well, I know the feeling. 'Cept my neverending battles seem to be with my house and outbuildings. Fix one thing, another thing has already broken. I need a tall cliff.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Contributing Member

quick question about the bearing replacement.

is it necesary for all of the brake stuff to come off in order to get the bearings out?

I glanced at the FSM, and by the pictures it looks like everything is removed, but is there any reason why it can't be dont with leaving all the brake parts put together?

I also did a search on the forum for a tutorial, but came up empty-handed, or is there one and I just overlooked it.

I'm gunna knock em out next saturday morning, so I've got plenty of time to read up and it and figure out the right way and easiest way to do it

thanx everyone!

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 09-01-2008 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
gotta pull it all.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:47 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by abecedarian
gotta pull it all.
yay...

ok, that's what I figued

thanx man

I'm definately getting pictures and videos of how much movement these bearings have this time just to show you how bad these things are... gunna have to take pics of the brake setup to make sure I can put everything back together right anywho...

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 09-01-2008 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
yay...

ok, that's what I figued

thanx man
yeah, it seems that backing plate holds the outer bearings in place so... to get them out, it all has to go.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by thook
Swansen, it just doesn't seem to be getting any more fun for you, does it? Well, I know the feeling. 'Cept my neverending battles seem to be with my house and outbuildings. Fix one thing, another thing has already broken. I need a tall cliff.
yes, its never ending, and i'm sure my rear wheel bearings are in about the same shape that superbleeders are.. But yeah