Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Wire Identification - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 05:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wire Identification - Help!

A buddy of mine recently bought a 1995 Toyota Pickup with the 3.0 V6. The stock wiring seems to be in fine shape. However, modifications/repairs the previous owner did is not. He added an electric fan and I've been redoing that with a relay/fuse. No issues there.. However, I found some haphazard wiring that needs to be redone, but I can't find a parts diagram to tell me what it is. I'm assuming it's some type of sensor, but I need to understand what was done here and why it was done. I can't tell if anything was actually changed, it almost just looks like wires were replaced. I've posted some pictures to illustrate. One two wire plug comes from the middle of the front of the block between the belt and goes to a plug just on top of the block that has another right next to it. Any help in identifying this is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Old 03-24-2020, 05:34 AM

FYI on the bottom pictures showing the top of the motor, it is the plug with both the brown and black going into it.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:09 AM

Received 841 Likes on 661 Posts
The connector weaving its way through the timing belt is (obviously) not stock. Is that what powered the add-on fan? I don't recognize the brown and black wires in your latter photos. There are very few single color wires from the factory (usually colored insulation with a different color stripe), so my guess is they, too, are added on.

I can't help but ask: where is the upper timing cover? The connection for the upper radiator hose is disassembled to remove the upper cover, so I've never seen a picture where it's been reassembled (like yours) with the cover off. The silver air/vacuum lines above the valve covers are attached to the plenum, and go with the plenum when it's removed. If your plenum detached from those lines?

Any idea why the prior owner added an electric fan? Obviously, your truck didn't come with one when new. Could the prior owner have been fighting a losing battle with over-heating?
The following users liked this post:
old87yota (03-24-2020)
Old 03-24-2020, 06:20 AM

No the power to the fan goes to ignition power. I have it wired up with a relay and fuse now. The only connection to the truck is to that ignition, everything else goes back to battery eventually. To answer your question about where the upper timer cover is.... beats me! Lol. I don't know the purpose of the electric fan install. Your question about fighting a heat battle is certainly possible. The truck runs fine now and doesn't give any indications of overheating. Gauge seems to work fine. It's not mine. I'm just trying to go through and shore up some of the wiring that was done. In trying to do that, I need to find out what that wire/plug is, what it's purpose is, and if it needs to be there. Judging by this guys skill level, he didn't create a harness. Surely there has to be some type of stock plug coming from that area between belt? I guess its possible that plug disappears and runs somewhere else below the block.

PS The brown and black wires in the latter photos are the two that come from the plug in the first photos.

Last edited by LA_Yota; 03-24-2020 at 06:22 AM.