Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Will a bad EGR valve cause a misfire?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 06:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I'm still working on this.Ordered some remanufactured 4 hole upgrade fuel injs.I thought this was too big a job for me to handle but I did it,also changed pcv valve also.Seems to run a little better but Still seems to have misfire on cylinder 4.One thing I noticed when I removed plenum is 3 holes in intake were black with carbon and 3 holes werent.Front 3 on engine were black last 3 werent.I was told to perform test with timing light by hooking up magnetic pickup to each spark plug wire and see if it showed good spark.Tried that and cylinders 1,3,and 5 had nice bright steady flashing light.Cylinders 2,4,and 6 had more like a solid bright light,did not have the same steady flashing light as other 3.I dont know what any of this means.Is there a way to check the distributor itself with multimeter?
Attached Thumbnails Will a bad EGR valve cause a misfire?-intake-1.jpg  
Old 03-10-2017, 08:00 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Try hooking the timing light back up on the trouble side and wiggle the wires a bit and see if the light flashing changes at all. Might have a bad ground or broken wire in there somewhere.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I ended up replacing distributor,that didnt work either.So took fuel injs,fuel rails etc back off today,thought I'd give it one last try before I give up.Re-Cleaned everything,took each inj,hooked a clear tube up to each one{one at a time}filled the tube with some Inj cleaner,blew on tube while hitting contacts with battery to blow those out.Re-assembled everything.Started it up.........drumroll.........it's fixed!!!!!
Thanks for everyones help
Attached Thumbnails Will a bad EGR valve cause a misfire?-img_9807.jpg