Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

why do so many people hate our trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 11:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I dunno. I have had NO luck getting that filter off easily. As soon as oil starts comming out of the filter it hits the torsion bar and just goes everywhere.

My truck is a BREEZE. I don't even have to jack it up. I can't even fit under the chevy (well) without putting a 4" block on my jack and jacking the mofo up to the sky...
Old 08-01-2008, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jealous because we are not keeping "Americans working" if they did their homework they would know that Toyota is built in the US by Americans...duh !
Also far more superior than any other trucks out there would you pay 50+ thousand for a GM ???
Sorry but the quality is not there...I have had American cars and nothing but problems with them ALL and my Toyota a big fat zero !!!
Don't hate the player hate the game
Old 08-01-2008, 09:01 AM

As my sig says, I now own the truck (which was my sisters) that pulled me out of a mud hole back in '89. I was a stoned Jeep head who was "all american"....MOPAR BABY! I used to poke fun at my sisters truck all the time "when you gonna get a real truck" etc..etc.. It wasn't until my Jeep was long dead and buried and all of my friends fords and chevy's were rusting away in a junk yard that I realized that little truck is still driving strong and my brother in law was still wheeling it outside of ElPaso up until 4 years ago. I think people feel some kind of way after laying down alot of money for US trucks and then finding out that they just dont work the same way TOyotas do. I feel for them, I really do. My first oppurtunitty to pull some one out of a mud hole happened two weeks ago. It was a Jeep and it was stuck bad! We came upon them while collecting fire wood, so I had no rope or strap. They had a 10 ft section of webbing which put me in the mud instead of solid ground. I was unseuccesful to pull them out but they thank me anyway as we were the only ones to stop and try to help. Several other fords and chevies drove by and laughed. I guess its time for lockers...and a winch.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by RiCh_90-yota
That What I Called BUILD LIKE A ROCK!
NO, not built like a ROCK

Built like a wok!
Old 12-22-2008, 06:13 PM

I was a big jeep lover when I was in high school, then I got a free land cruiser and my whole life changed. Just working on it and dealing with parts department at my local dealership was such a better experience than what I had with my jeep and local chrysler dealership.

I do believe there is a difference in quality, but thats just from what I see. The newest toyota I have had the privalige of working on was a 2001 4runner sr5. its pretty nice.

Currently I am a student at kettering university, the former GMI in flint michigan. Let me tell, people hate toyotas up there. I dont think I would be well recieved in the kettering 4x4 club. The girls arnt going to talk about how big my truck is because its a toyota.
Maby its because gm is going so bad and flint is a horrible place to live because of their downfall. I really have no idea, but deep down in my heart I want to believe that not every place is so close minded and ignorant.

I even had a guy throw a rock at my car,
Here is a picture of flint, the armpit of the USA. I want to dedicate this to every UAW member who is satisfied with a mediocre piece of junk product. Look where not caring gets you.
[IMG][/IMG]
Think the big 3 could make this happan consistently?
[IMG][/IMG]

cheers
Old 12-23-2008, 10:01 PM

I'm convinced...it has just a little to do with yota getting the Motortrend Truck of the Year award last year, then having a bunch of problems with their rigs. A bad situation.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hmm here in Canada, Toyotas are pretty well respected by just about everyone. That said every auto parts store has the washed up jock cashier who desperately tries to hang onto to his teenaged glory days by having a massive, noisy domestic truck with a confederate flag- this is really quite amusing because this is Canada, not Texas.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Although Toyota's are known to run for a long time & have a great reputation they are by no means a heavy duty truck & can't be compared to a Power stroke, Cumins or Duramax. Yes I know, It's a completely different class of truck but many folks don't realize that. I think that Toyota's are just as good or better then a Ranger, Colorado or Dakota. That's why I purchased a used Toyota VS. a used American brand. The American trucks are great today but not so much 10-20 years ago IMO. Today I would say that a Toyota Tundra & a Ford F-150 are on a equal playing field. They are both fine trucks.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:41 PM

I think people hate the trucks out of jealousy. The older toyotas compact 4x4s IMO dominate in so many areas. Best ground clearance, best stock axles in class, ability to fix big tires w/ no lift, strong frames, quality of materials used etc etc. They look great and I know because I see people stare all the time. The only thing I can think the other trucks have on the yotas of that generation is that they almost all had more powerful engines and most don't rust as bad.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:08 AM

I am a locksmith and I deal with tons of keys and factory remotes. I see the quality and durability of remotes and from what I've seen Chrysler makes the worst ones. Everyday I see the new chrysler fobik keys that are broken, the plastic is either busted or the buttons fall out etc. With Toyota remotes I never see that, the only broken ones I see have been run over or chewed up by a dog lol. And most of the big 3's remotes are made in china or somewhere else. I mean even the metal that's used in the key blades is better and takes a lot longer to wear, I see tons of GM and chryslers where the key just wears down so much that it eventually stops working. Keys and remotes are important and they should be durable.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:46 AM

i agree ive been ij japan and thier attitude is different they work 10 hrs a day and do care what they do , ive had chevy and ford stuff and man it left a bad taste in my mouth i can fix my own stuff but working on a a vehicle every day just to get to work sucks . i got my 91 pick up with 145k now its got 178k runs killer yes some maintence is needed but the saying goes like this a 15 year old toyota is more reliable than a 5 year american car . sorry but the gm and ford engineers need to face up to it . and the assy. line workers probably are treated like crap and have no motivation ive learned it starts at the top a japanese co TAKES CARE OF ITS EMPLOYEES
all the way and man if i worked for a co like that id give them everything i could .
i got a mercedes , two vw bugs both 1963 and damm there reliable for a 46 year old car !!!!
Old 08-11-2009, 12:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Just tell the domestic guys..

Don't hate cuz my truck still drives me to work and back everyday, then goes wheeling on the wkend, and your domestic pos is sitting in the driveway

Some ford guy at the local tire shop was tellin me toyota sucks... Then he let slip that his Ford wasnt running.... hahah awwww
Old 08-13-2009, 09:00 PM

From a Auto Technicians' standpoint here are two things I've always noticed that to me are very strange and could go along with the OP. One is I am always is it never ceases to amaze me at how many "Domestic" technicians are afraid to work on Toyota Products. I mean literally afraid as if they were way too complicated. I started out like may on domestics and once I started wrenching on Yota's I was hooked. I then spent the next 3-1/2 years at a Lexus Dealer and another 3-1/2 at a Toyota Dealer. I was well compensated at the Toyota dealer because the the Service Manager knew I would not go to work on another manufacturer, hence he took care of me.
The other thing I find interesting is when a new guy would come to work at a Toyota dealer and realizes that he's been missing out for years with domestics. It's a known fact that Toyota pay's technicians much better warranty times plus the fact that they are so much more desirable to work on. They get so amazed when tracing a wiring harness and finding that the color stays the same on the wire in the circuit unlike GM where a wire can go from grey to blue, etc..
Old 08-15-2009, 08:19 PM

I agree that Toyota makes great trucks, IMO the best stock offroad trucks ever (talking only of consumer vehicles not some intense army vehicle). They make solid trucks that are probably the only trucks that will still climb a hill until the day it dies withouth having to really replace anything besides routine maitanance. They cant compare with a big chevy with a 350 in it because those trucks are made for hauling. I have a almost stock '92 Toyota Pickup that will go over anything under 1' high and has only had a few problems (loose crankshaft pulley, needs new camshaft due to a worn rocker that was ignored by the previous owner) and runs strong. I also have a '83 Gas GMC Sierra 3500 flatbed dually that will haul our 50' camper without the slightest hint that it is pulling something I don't even use the brakes on the trailer becuase it can handle it without the brakes.

The point is that Toyotas are made for offroad and are made to last. those other trucks are made to haul. As far as those brands versions of small trucks and offroad trucks, if you try to find a 4x4 92 Ranger that has only had routine maitanence it sounds like a go cart and runs worse. I had a 88 ranger 4x4 stock that sounded somewhat solid. Drove it out to california from colorado (changed fluids and spark plugs before I left) the day after I got there it lost all compression and blew the engine. POS. I have driven my yota from new mexico to nebraska picked up a small camper then through eastern colorado to western colorado to pick up some belongins then south over two passes and back to new mexico without a hickup. Says something right? This is a truck that I have had for four years now.

I think I will stick with toyota trucks for life. I don't care about the politics I just want a vehicle that will last forever without me having to baby it. Toyota has proven itself to me and that is all I need to say that Toyota makes the best vehicles around.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by hmmwv15
NO, not built like a ROCK

Built like a wok!
hahahaha That is my new sig!!