Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

why do so many people hate our trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have been a long time ford bronco owner. i really like the truck other than the fact that vehicle should have never been allowed to be prduced with such poor fuel economy. its awful. i figured i needed some type of little p/u to cart my ass back and forth to the mountains, just something to throw crap into. a lot of my friends thought i was nuts for buying this little toyota, off ebay none the less. great little truck. i love it and wouldnt get rid of it for anything but another toyota at this point. the bronco just sits in my driveway rusting away these days.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My first Toyota I bought when I was 17, 3 of the other 4 vehicles I have bought for me since then have been Toyota. I have bought other brands for my wife and frankly they just dont hold up as well as my 16 year old 4x4 with the 3.0. From my experiences, not saying others aren't as good, the only manufacturers that have impressed me has been my Toyota and Suzuki. About 7 years ago on a whim I bought a Geo Tracker for my step son as a fun and cheap project, shortly after he decided to live with his dad and I kept the Geo for a commuter (85 mile round trip from work). After 5 years of basically driving the crap out what I considered a throw away car it wouldn't die, so on another whim I put a lift and mud grips on it and wheeled the snot out of it. When I sold it due to my wifes insistence on it being too tippy, it had passed 260k miles with no major repairs and was still going strong.

I really would love to own a new FJ or 4Runner but in reality if I buy a new vehicle the Grand Vitara will be my purchase just due to the cost difference between them. While I still love my Toyota the fact is a new one is just way out of my price reach, might be why I just recently bought an 88 4runner to redo.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:03 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, This is the same reason I hate liberals, and conservatives.. all the do is beat a dead horse and never accomplish anything Now I know why people hate Toyota's, my dad is the biggest chevy guy ever, I was raised into liking chevrolets, and hated fords.. well now I have a Toyota and I love it, beats any chevrolet to hell thats for sure, but Its just if your raised into it and Hype, every vehicle is gonna have its downfalls and recalls, Toyota just does a better job of not ☺☺☺☺ing up and keeping it on the d/l.. I love old muscle cars in fact if I didn't have my two Toyota's, I'd have a Pontiac Trans-Am 6.6, theres nothing nicer than the rumble of a big block with horsepower, but to each his own.. and yes I do talk ☺☺☺☺ on chevy's with 6 inch body lifts and rebel flags on them. If this thread goes any farther Its gonna get pointless...
Old 06-19-2007, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Trustyrusty
Now I know why people hate Toyota's, my dad is the biggest chevy guy ever, I was raised into liking chevrolets, and hated fords.. well now I have a Toyota and I love it, beats any chevrolet to hell thats for sure, but Its just if your raised into it and Hype, every vehicle is gonna have its downfalls and recalls, Toyota just does a better job of not ☺☺☺☺ing up and keeping it on the d/l.. I love old muscle cars in fact if I didn't have my two Toyota's, I'd have a Pontiac Trans-Am 6.6, theres nothing nicer than the rumble of a big block with horsepower, but to each his own.. and yes I do talk ☺☺☺☺ on chevy's with 6 inch body lifts and rebel flags on them. If this thread goes any farther Its gonna get pointless...
I know what you mean. My dad was a Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge fan and would never buy anything else. I tried them and had nothing but problems with them. I'm not a DIE HARD Toyota fan but it is one of the makes that I have no problem buying. I would never buy another Chrysler product short of the pre 73 muscle cars. I basically shop around until I find a great deal on something that either needs or repairs or that the seller has to get out from under for some reason.

I wrench everything I own so ease of maintenance is a big plus with most of the Yotas compared to some other makes. I do like Ford and Chevy full size trucks although neither one seems interested in making a quality car with one or two exceptions.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:50 PM

Alot of people feel like it is not American to buy foreign, I used to feel that way,and I hate to see people loosing their jobs in the auto industry, but after buying the a new Ford in 98 and a 00 Chevy and having to get rid of them at 177k and 180k miles and shop rates that I found out numerous times, I finally moved over to Toyotas. My dad and brother went through the same thing I went through before I did and was always telling me to go Nissan or Toy. I finally did with a 01 4Runner and I havent felt this passionate about a daily driver since I was a kid. I really love this thing and hoping it will go 20 years. I do have a 72 Cutlass and an 88 Bronco that have been great cars and have had for 15 and 20 years. I am selling the Bronco and now have bought a 91 4Runner to replace it. I know there are issues with the 3.0, but I have had my fill of the Big 3 dealerships and their service I will take a chance on it. By the way did I say how well I really like my 01?? I get to go pick up my 91 in a couple of weeks and hoping for the same experience. My father in law retired from Ford, and he would only buy a Chevy and would never buy a Ford, he knows they are junk. The Big 3 can keep their car payment AND repair payment. This is a great site and has many answers, to about any question you could ever have.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:07 PM

I love my yota pickup. I'll be a toyota fan for life.

On the other hand, I also own a 1968 Chevy Impala with a 327ci V8. It's faithful, sexy, and I love it as much as my truck.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Ceedub
I love my yota pickup. I'll be a toyota fan for life.

On the other hand, I also own a 1968 Chevy Impala with a 327ci V8. It's faithful, sexy, and I love it as much as my truck.
That was back when no one could touch American muscle. I had a 1970 Pontiac LeMans for years until I finally totalled it doing something stupid. DOH! That was one of the best cars I ever owned. It did seem to go through rear tires for some reason though.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:51 AM

i call it jealousy
Old 06-20-2007, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by pat161
Not to be a jerk, but your 4Runner was 100% made in Japan and then shipped here. All 4Runners are made in Japan, many other Toyota products are made in this country.
I know all 4runners and FJs are made in Japan but arent all tacos and tundras made in america?
not meant as a smart comment...I just wanna know.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by displacedAlaskan
The real deal is that Americans as a whole no longer take pride in the work they do...they consider their job as just a job. Japanese people are proud and painstakingly precise....that's why their stuff stays together better. American's like the throw-away crap...that's why they make throw-away crap. I've never bought a new vehicle, but I've really enjoyed my subaru and my Toyota....I think because they are built with pride.
I think you really nailed it on this one. I hate to keep this thread going but I think it's important. If our American products held up as well as Japanese vehicles, we would all buy American. It's about pride in workmanship; have you ever watched TLC or Discovery and seen a Japanese construction crew building a bridge or building? They look like worker ants. They aren't standing around like A LOT of the crews I've worked with or seen in the past. Honor and dishonor is very important in Japan b/c if they sell or build a shotty product, they feel it dishonors them and their family.

In America it's more like, "Aren't I due for a raise."

It used to be like that here.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:47 PM

If our American products held up as well as Japanese vehicles, we would all buy American
Id Buy a Car from China if it held up better than any American car iv owned. I dont care where it is made as long as it doesnt give me major problems. I owned a Honda (1992 Prelude) and Toyota (1997 4Runner), and I never had any issues other than normal things (new brakes, spark plugs). Then I got to Purchase a 1991 Z28 Camaro, Ii was a nightmare, from problems with the fuel injectors, It left me Stranded more than once, to having a new transmission put in, All the Gears Cept for 1st went out on the Highway! 700r4 $1200!. I've also owned a Fox Body Mustang, Dont recall the Year, It gave me just as much Trouble, but never left me on the side of the road. After all my cars I'v owned, I'll only own Japanese . Sorry for my long rant just had to let everyone know why I have such a dislike of american cars.

By the way, my Step Father owns a 91 Jeep Wrangler (70,000 Miles), and I'v never seen one car with so many problems. He got stuck in some snow in 2wd so when he goes to shift to 4wd the linkage breaks, one afternoon he goes to get in the Jeep and see gas on the road, come to find out the gas tank is leaking ( he doesnt offroad at all) Gas Gauge doesnt work, has to fill up ever 200 miles, the Jeep as left him stranded on the side of the road many times. I know it has ALOT more problems but ill keep it short.

Last edited by Knuckles; 06-20-2007 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:54 PM

Loyalty plays a big part, my two Ford friends both have dads and grandpas who drove them. One of them owns a 67 F-100 and you cant really call that one crap, domestic auto companys seemed to know what they were doing back then.

My dad used to want a Ranger since the 80's, but after seeing and riding in my yota, he wants a yota now...cant blame him.

My redneck mechanic says he hates Toyotas because he cant keep the rust off them, and it takes twice as long to do most engine work...he does have a point.

My Toyota is my dream truck (well a sweet 83 would really be my dream) so I dont mind shelling out for it to keep it in good running condition. And once it breaks down I will swap the engine or get another Toyota.

Guess it's a lot like a volkswagan. You love it or hate it. I was a VW guy until my truck found me.

Last edited by toyotatom93; 06-24-2008 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've done some work on American vehicles and the layout didn't make sense at all to me. Some examples on a Chrysler minivan, the sway bar bushings (replaceable part) are near impossible to get at, as they are obstructed by I think the ABS modulator (I don't remember), the battery terminals were both exposed generally things just weren't though out.

Pre-'95 Toyota's on the other hand (never worked on a post '95 Toyota), seem to be designed to be worked on in a jungle clearing with a pocket knife, pliars and a 8, 12, 14, 17 & 24mm wrench.

I know Toyota is courting the flag-waving redneck, but it really doesn't make me feel inclined to buy Toyota if the parts are in the USA, I want Japanese parts.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:51 PM

Ill tell you WHY they hate us Toy owners .. . . it's me, it's all my fault.

I have to tell you that I cannot count how many times while cruising the national sea shore that I would happen on a big heavy jacked up 4x4 Ford or Chevy or Dodge stuck to the gills in sand. I would most often be in 2wd and couldn't help but drive a circle around them with my drivers window down and would let out a loud yell . . . . "TOYOTA RULES!!!!!!!" and then drive off. What an I was, now the whole world hates our trucks! But dam it was fun.

So I have to apologize to all my brethren, it IS all my fault. 'I' am the arrogant Toyota owner.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
All the other guys have more time to complain about Toyota's while there trucks are in the shop. Instead of us, that are out there having fun with them.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:16 PM

remember guys 2 wrongs dont make a right ,just cause they hate dont mean you do to all vehicals has there advantages so smileing will always get more attention than hateing ,show them where your rig counts on the trails.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:25 PM

toyota does better with smaller engine, than bulky ones. the 4.7L in the tundra's and sequoias are great. i got an 01 sequoia with it, and i get an average of 16mpg. im a lead foot. and it still tows hella good. has no problem towing my yota around. and its fast.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:54 PM

every one for there own try pulley 1 tons on your truck ,wont go no where tried my toyota engine with 538 gears and it still had no power love toyotas but motor had to go my girl has 2008 toyota fj put 3 inch lift with bigger tires and it lost alot of of gas mileage but very nice ride we love it
Old 06-27-2008, 07:13 AM

my ex gf hates my truck cuz 'its scary looking'..... dont ask me
Old 06-27-2008, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
UAW workers hate any company not unionized.
I had a long diatribe typed out, but it came off sounding like I was bashing a particular brand when I really wasn't so I'll say this - nearly every one of my extended family were or currently are auto workers. The unions are nearly single handedly responsible for the decline in American quality.

My parents just bought a 2008 Chevy Cobalt & I couldn't believe how poorly it was constructed; the plastic (about 85% of the vehicle) is all warped, loose, & rattling; the paint behind their rear tires shows rock dings from their 3 mile drive home from the dealer (no gravel roads either). Poorly designed & poorly assembled from flimsy material IMO - the sad thing is they traded in an 05 Buick Century that was a sturdy, well built car & only got $3,500 for it with 75K miles.

I'd go on but it'll turn into the post I had typed up before.

Quick Reply: why do so many people hate our trucks?