Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Wheel Spacers, Ball Join Spacers, Downey Springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 08:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Muddpigg, thanks for the input. Hopefully it will give anyone looking at this thread down the road the info they need to make the best decision for themselves.

kodiak90, my understanding is that the issue arises with 31 inch and smaller tires as that moves the sidewall bulge closer and closer to the upper control arm. If your 11.50s are also 32s you will likely be fine. Otherwise, it would be best to check it out ahead if possible.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blnkblu, thanks for the input (I use Gain laundry soap :'). This thread has had some great feedback. Your link to that other thread, with SOCAL4RUNNING was exactly the setup I'll likely go for. Stock front with 2 inch Downey springs in the rear. That setup seemed to level everything out really well. Your 3 inch rear and 1 inch BL was also very sharp. Both look good. I probably also do my shocks this fall which, as it is now, basically don't even exist in the 4runner. I think that there are stock from 20 years ago. Ugh. Anyway, if I do go with the Downey's I think, IIRC, I have to keep my overload leaf. Now that I've decided on what I want, I'll have to read up on proper install procedures and any hardware that I can either (a)reuse or (b) have to buy new (which isn't included).

Last edited by Harold Of The Rocks; 08-06-2009 at 06:19 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BLKNBLU; Yeah, my tires are 32's on the stock SR5 wheels. I just wasn't sure if an extra inch of width on the tire would make much difference (given the tallness of the tire). It makes sense though that a taller tire would fit fine. Just wanted to make sure. Thanx!
Old 08-07-2009, 08:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Harold Of The Rocks
Blnkblu, thanks for the input (I use Gain laundry soap :'). This thread has had some great feedback. Your link to that other thread, with SOCAL4RUNNING was exactly the setup I'll likely go for. Stock front with 2 inch Downey springs in the rear. That setup seemed to level everything out really well. Your 3 inch rear and 1 inch BL was also very sharp. Both look good. I probably also do my shocks this fall which, as it is now, basically don't even exist in the 4runner. I think that there are stock from 20 years ago. Ugh. Anyway, if I do go with the Downey's I think, IIRC, I have to keep my overload leaf. Now that I've decided on what I want, I'll have to read up on proper install procedures and any hardware that I can either (a)reuse or (b) have to buy new (which isn't included).
With the Downeys you can re-use the u bolts. And yes, you are supposed to transfer your Toyota overload onto the new pack. I don't know about the overload with OME. With either brand you only get bushings for the spring eyes. You need to get something else for the additional shackle to frame attachment. In my case I re-used the 4 best left from the old stuff. I read on another board today of a member having trouble reaching Downey and there was conjecture about whether they had closed up shop. Don't know the real answer there but you may want to check it out before any $$ goes anywhere.