Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Wheel bearing/seal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 01:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel bearing/seal?

Take your best shot at what is going on here.

Over the past few weeks I've had a very low frequency noise coming out of the rear end. Definitly a bearing noise of some sort.

A few days ago, I checked the differential oil level. It was a bit low, requiring about 5 squirts of gear oil (one of those pump on the bottle-handle types).

The problem got better, but I noticed it again today.

So I was about to put it up off the ground and see if I could spot the noise source, when I noticed the right rear wheel, inside, with gear oil coming out from the brake drum. No leaks from the brake fluid, and it does appear to be gear oil. About a teaspoon. Plus signs of the same leak from other points around the wheel, apparently every time I stopped for any length of time.

This implies a seal broken, and probably a wheel bearing gone. Don't know why it was such a low frequency, much lower than a wheel turning, but when bearings go, they can do funny things, noise-wise.

So two questions, how hard is it to replace the wheel bearings, and where is the seal? How difficult is it to replace the seal?

I've replaced an outside wheel bearing once (on a VW Camper) with no problems, but I don't think I could have done the inside one with the tools I had on hand (I was 3k miles from home and did it in a parking lot).

Any inputs/experience/speculaton with this problem on a 2nd generation 4Runner ('94) would be appreciated.

I will probably take it to a dealer (pretty good one based on the few times I've checked a vehicle in) but I'd like to know as much as possible). Pointing at the oil and grunting "broke" is never a good strategy... lol.

Thanks very much.

Last edited by rdharper; 11-14-2006 at 01:11 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-14-2006, 02:37 PM

There are 2 seals and a bearing on each side. Sounds to me like you do have a bearing/seal problem. To replace them you have to pull the axle shafts (pull the wheel, disconnect the brake line and e-brake cable, take the 4 nuts off from behind the brake backing plate, slide the axle assembly out). You will see one seal in the end of the axle housing. The other is on the shaft with the bearing. You either have to press the bearing off or some guys here say you can slam it down on the floor splines first and the bearing will come off after a few whacks. I didn't have the courage for that one so I just replaced the seals in the end of the housing and left the bearings alone (so that means they will probably go bad next week ).

Hopefully that helps you have an idea what's involved...
Old 11-14-2006, 04:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by amgraham

Hopefully that helps you have an idea what's involved...

Thanks graham, that helps. Dealer is quoting $695 for the replacement of both seals and the bearing. They've always come in under their quote. And have never come back with "new" work.

Seems like a lot, but your description fits with what the service guy described, and reduced the shock a bit.

This dealership has always been square with me. Plus they secure the truck if they have to keep it over which they've never done, as they are fast. And they cover the work if there was a mistake. So I'll go that way, and let you all know what the final price was.

So thanks again.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:53 PM

No problem and good luck man, I hope that takes care of it. Just so you know though, for the bearings and seals it was only about $80 in parts. I can understand if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself but IMO $600 is a little steep for labor on that job. I would suggest shopping around before you do it as the dealer is not the only ones who can work on Toyotas. Also, something I forgot, you should have them put new brake shoes on it too if they got any diff oil on them.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could alwasy save some of the labour cost by pulling the axles yourself and having them just replace the bearings, then you replace the seals reinstall and refill.... That's if you have another vehicle to drive or can borrow on for a day...
Old 11-15-2006, 08:21 AM

Ya a bit steep. A side from pressing off the bearings, each wheel can be pulled apart in about 15min max. With the right press setup you should be able to change both bearings in about 1.5hours. I know mechanics rates are retarded but $500 an hour is a bit much.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:30 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I've heard of the "bang on floor" technique being used to remove those bearings, but that didn't work on mine. I had to use a 15 ton press and even then they were a bugger to remove. You also need a press to re-install them.

It's not hard to do with the right tools. The job shouldn't take more than a couple of hours.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:11 PM

I've been having a whirring noise coming from the rear lately as well. Sounds like it's time to get it to a shop, as I don't have the time or tools to do this job.

I HATE using shops.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:37 AM

Has anyone torched the bearings off? Why do you need to press them off?
Old 02-12-2007, 03:42 AM

Question Wheel bearing question again.

Hey everybody

I know there is alot of topics on this, but cannot find a couple of parts of my question, but am sure of the problem. I hate to , but ...

Here is my problem: My left rear bearing has gone bad on my '97 4Runner, and has been bad for about 2-3 weeks. it makes noise and you can hear the grinding.

Here's my other problem: I am in the US Army, but stationed in South Korea, which unfortunatly does not have the parts in country. They know how to fix it, but say it is too expensive for them to order the parts, but if I get them, they will repair it.

So my question:
1. Where can I order these parts that will ship to me (ships using via US Postal service, and costs the same as shipping to CA.)

2. Is it OK to drive on this (limited mileage, about 3-5 miles per day, for about 2 weeks until I get the parts in.

Thanks again.
Bob
Old 02-12-2007, 08:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
One replacement option:

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...wheel_bearing/

Should be fine to drive on for a while, keep the speeds down. I think I have a bad RWB in my '85, started making noise in late Nov. and have been driving it around town since then. Planning to replace the entire axle, so not concered with fixing the bearings.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just made some detailed posts about this here:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/rear-axle-seals-106713/
Old 02-12-2007, 08:49 AM

$700 is a rip-off!!!

http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/axles.htm#rear

MC-12156, Rear Axle Kit, $149

Thats both bearings and the 4 seals you'll need from Marlin Crawler. A good deal.

It cost me $40 an axle to have them install the bearings and outer seal at my local mechanic. So $80 to have the axles assembled. This includes removal of the old bearing and seal.

Then all you have to do is put the inner seal on which isnt hard just use a big socket and be careful.. Install the new axles, bolt the 8 nuts on and bleed the brakes!

Probably run around $250. Thats a far cry from $700!

I've had a mechanic do it once then I bought a press and did it myself.

ALSO... if you have a dial indicator I'd check the runout on your axles. Both mine were excessive which in turn will wear bearings out. The reason was the carrier in my dif was worn out as well which in turn thousands of miles of running on that warped the axles.

$300 buys you chromoly rears from marlin.. you're still under $700 for a built rearend.

And if you wanted go further you could throw a locker in I paid $310 for a brand new Detroit Truetrac. It was on sale tho =P
Old 02-12-2007, 09:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
aye, this reminds me i have to also check out my bearings
Old 02-16-2007, 08:24 AM

I'm trying to order parts, but having a hard time. Can anybody refer me to a website or phone number to order parts for a 1997 Toyota 4 runner, rear wheel bearimgs???

Just FYI, I have tried to deal with autoyparts.com, autopartsauthority.com, usautopartsauthoirty.com and partstrain.com. Apparently they are the same company with terrible customer service, which explains why they have so many websites and all with different phone numbers. If you want terrible customer service call them, hangups, and rude salesmen give them a call.

For me, I prefer to work with a professional, anybody have any that they would recommend?

Thanks
Bob
Old 02-16-2007, 08:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
I list a few OEM parts places on my web page:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/index.shtml#VendorLinks
Old 02-16-2007, 09:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can always try www.rockauto.com if one of Rogers links doesn't work out.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by drew303
$700 is a rip-off!!!

http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/axles.htm#rear

MC-12156, Rear Axle Kit, $149

Thats both bearings and the 4 seals you'll need from Marlin Crawler. A good deal.

Maybe my posts just come up blank or something???
Old 02-16-2007, 09:33 AM

Not to mention you can buy the seals AND bearings any autoparts store IN TOWN.

Or the dealer.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:01 PM

I use Napa Auto Parts for all my bearings.

Quick Reply: Wheel bearing/seal?