Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

What is this part on the intake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by desert-rat660
i removed the whole system. no emissions here. i capped off the air injection pipe on the manifold and capped the hole in the airbox with a little plastic cap i got from napa. with all that crap gone it makes the fuel filter easy to change. and its nice to clear some clutter form the engine bay
Unfortunately it was while I was changing the fuel filter that I discovered the hole in the resonator haha. All I can say is that is the worst location ever for a fuel filter.

xyzragon, that is exactly what I am going to do. Thanks for the picture!
Old 06-08-2009, 06:47 PM

I did a battery/intake swap and when I removed the resonator it was ridiculously loud, So I just went to autozone, bought a 3/4 inch rubber cap and capped it off, no filter, nothing, and eveything works fine, it seems to me that worked and I didn't need to put a filter on it at all. Luckily we have no emissions here.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by asidreflex
I did a battery/intake swap and when I removed the resonator it was ridiculously loud, So I just went to autozone, bought a 3/4 inch rubber cap and capped it off, no filter, nothing, and eveything works fine, it seems to me that worked and I didn't need to put a filter on it at all. Luckily we have no emissions here.
Well, everything isn't working fine. All you did was prevent the PAIR system from working properly since it isn't getting fresh air. This can cause the O2 sensor to read a slightly rich condition under cruise / constant engine speed since the PAIR system isn't allowing air into the exhaust and and this can cause the fuel mix to go leaner than it should.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by asidreflex
Just because you dont have emission testing doesnt mean you should disregard the emissions output of your vehicle. The PAIR system introduces clean air into the exhaust BEFORE the o2 sensor, so its likely you will run "rich", according to the o2 sensor input to the ECU. The ECU will tell the fuel pump to not pump so much gas, so your power will probably decrease.Also, MPG will probably suffer and its possible to burn out the cat faster, if you still have one on.

Edit: Abe beat me to it . I should quit multitasking.

Last edited by toyota4x4907; 06-08-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:31 PM

Hmm, both of you have good points, I am going to get rid of my cat as soon as I do my exhaust, but what I am worried about is if I just put a filter on it, wouldn't it still be loud as hell, or should I put the resonator back on and then a filter?
Old 06-08-2009, 07:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by toyota4x4907
Just because you dont have emission testing doesnt mean you should disregard the emissions output of your vehicle. The PAIR system introduces clean air into the exhaust BEFORE the o2 sensor, so its likely you will run "rich", according to the o2 sensor input to the ECU. The ECU will tell the fuel pump to not pump so much gas, so your power will probably decrease.Also, MPG will probably suffer and its possible to burn out the cat faster, if you still have one on.

Edit: Abe beat me to it . I should quit multitasking.
lol...
Anyhow, the ECU doesn't tell the fuel pump to pump less gas: the pump moves fuel, and that's all it does regardless of what the ecu says, while the fuel pressure regulator maintains a constant pressure in the fuel rail, allowing excess fuel to return to the tank. The ECU will shorten the pulse to the injectors so they don't stay open as long thus reducing the amount of fuel injected and thus lean the mixture out to compensate for the O2's readings.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by abecedarian
lol...
Anyhow, the ECU doesn't tell the fuel pump to pump less gas: the pump moves fuel, and that's all it does regardless of what the ecu says, while the fuel pressure regulator maintains a constant pressure in the fuel rail, allowing excess fuel to return to the tank. The ECU will shorten the pulse to the injectors so they don't stay open as long thus reducing the amount of fuel injected and thus lean the mixture out to compensate for the O2's readings.
yes thats what I meant

I actually didn't know that ...er I didnt know that the ECU doesnt tell the fuel pump to pump a certain amount of gas. it just pumps. I knew about the injectors. it makes sense

Last edited by toyota4x4907; 06-08-2009 at 07:42 PM.